New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Hi. I'm new here and I was hoping that some 'experts' or those who have experience can give me more insights/advice on which pick up to get. We have a Toyota Innova and a very old Nissan Frontier (probably 10yrs old). We are contemplating on replacing this old one before it becomes useless. At first I thought of an SUV, but my husband says that since we have an AUV which almost is like an SUV and an SUV is more expensive than a pick up. We will most likely pick on just a 4x2 manual transmission for reason of practicality. 4x4s for sure are more expensive and I heard that they consume more fuel. I don't know much about cars either and just relying on people's comments. For our usage, we definitely don't use it for hauling heavy load. This is basically a family car. A car that is cost efficient and durable, good resale value.

I see that the choices available in the market are: Dmax, Strada, Navara, Hi-lux and Ranger.

We are confused because of varying comments. For our purpose and based on what I read (having the most comfortable ride), it seems the Strada is for us. However, I also read that maintenance cost is high. We value durability so that is a question. My sister said that her impression of Mitsubishi is that it's not durable.

A friend mentioned the Dmax as being fuel efficient. I don't really know how this compares with others. This is just one person's opinion.

Another friend recommends the Hi-lux just because it's a Toyota. At first I didn't consider this because I've read that it's not the safest car compared to the other pick ups. I saw a video that it almost tilted over compared to a Strada. However, I'm told that I also have to consider maintenance cost and ease of finding spare parts and Toyota is definitely the brand to consider.

Navara, so far no one recommended this except for my sister who has an old Nissan and basically says that this is her choice because it has 6speed. But if it's just city driving why would I need a 6 speed and I'm not into speed if it's the advantage of this car. Our old Nissan Frontier is definitely not a comfortable car (very bumpy), but then it's a very old model so I'm not yet sure how the new one is.

Ranger, I heard that spare parts of Ford are much more expensive than other brands. Not sure yet of the size, but I heard it's a bulky car so I'm not sure if this will be too big for our garage.

Anyone who have owned these cars or maybe an 'expert' can share your opinion?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    In my past rides nagkaroon na ako ng nissan (datsun, ultra eagle, frontier) all are ok...built tough pero pinaka mahal ang parts vs other brands. Isuzu dmax (tdi engine) eto yung before the iteq engine model nagkaroon na rin ako...kasing equal lang sa fuel consumption ng same engine displacement hilux na 4x4. So considering it was a 3.0liter 4x2 dmax hindi ko matatawag na matipid siya vs the 3.0liter 4x4 hilux.

Navara...i find it lacking in torque (kasi maliit ang engine vs hilux)...again mas mahal ang parts ng nissan navara.

I will highly recommend the 4x2 hilux (get the version na parang 4x4 ang stance) if price is not an issue.

I have no experience sa chevy pickup na naka duramax engine.... But this is very intriguing.

Ford...laging merun lemon. So para kang nag russian roullette - swerte mo kung walang problem.

mazda b-50...its a rebadge ford.

Strada...if you like a car-feel...but i am not sure sa parts cost nito.

5km servicing ng hilux 4x4 is between P2-5k lang depending on shop (frontier ko dati nasa P4-7k)
    10km servicing ng hilux 4x4 is between P6-12k (depending on the part that needs to be replaced). I consider this cheap kasi sa frontier ko normal ang P12k or more dati.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Are you referring to the Hi-lux 4x2 G series? They say it's the top of the line in 4x2 manual transmission.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Yes that hilux seems worth it if you want a 4x2.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Does anyone know if Toyota had addressed the issue regarding failing the moose test? I keep seeing this test being failed, but I don't know if there is an update. Is there a safety problem if a car failed this?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderintravele View Post
    Does anyone know if Toyota had addressed the issue regarding failing the moose test? I keep seeing this test being failed, but I don't know if there is an update. Is there a safety problem if a car failed this?
    Nope, same driving dynamics. Problem dyan is kung mabilis ka magpatakbo at bigla nga may tumawid. Pero if cool driver ka, puwede na rin. But I'll just get a ranger if I need hauling like a hilux. Safer. Or maybe a dmax.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    kung madalas ka passenger sa likod, at hindi naman kakargahan ng mabibigat sa likod, strada. much cheaper than ranger and colorado. but if budget permits, why not. choose between the 2 american

8. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    For our need and usage, it seems the Strada suits us more. The only thing holding us back is it's feedback on durability. A lot are commenting that Mitsubishi cars will encounter more problems as the years past compared to say a Toyota. Another thing is the resale value. Perhaps a Toyota or Isuzu may have a higher value for pick ups.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    mitsubishi's durability is at par with toyotas. tingan mo na lang ang kalsada. top talaga ang toyota at mitsubishi. for the resale, top talaga ang toyota and honda. pantay lang siguro ang isuzu and mitsubishi for the 2nd. mas mababa pa rin yung ibang brands like suzuki, mazda, nissan, koreans and americans

10. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Work horse ang pickup, unlike a sedan...so why would you look for the resale value?!? Pickup are meant to be abused...they will surely deteriorate aesthetically BUT you underchasis, suspension and even tires will last a lot more than a sedan.

Kahit bulok na ang pickup, usefull pa rin eto. In my more than 25years of driving, I will always have a pickup in my garage. And for that, the hilux 4x4 A/T is the best workhorse for me that I intend to keep in my lieftime, kasi ganun katindi ang reliability ng hilux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast