New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i'm a bit wary of having to have to piecemeal-replace the hybrid battery... my main reason is that there don't seem to be enough experience lying around for such a job...
    if the replacement goes palpaQ, the least that can happen is the car will stop. the worst that can happen, is the vehicle catches fire or explodes.
    Replacing piecemeal would just damage and wreck the new battery as the old ones which have reduced charge retention capacities in the bank will simply drain it.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
    Replacing piecemeal would just damage and wreck the new battery as the old ones which have reduced charge retention capacities in the bank will simply drain it.
    yespo. i agree.
    we used to replace piecemeal the individual cells of the lead-acid battery, because we couldn't afford the entire battery replacement. of course the cells we left eventually died ahead of the new cells...
    and it's hades to effectively check each and every one of the over 100 individual cells that make up that hybrid battery.
    complete replacement is probably the better, albeit more expensive, way.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 27th, 2024 at 09:32 PM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    yespo. i agree.
    we used to replace piecemeal the individual cells of the lead-acid battery, because we couldn't afford the entire battery replacement. of course the cells we left eventually died ahead of the new cells...
    and it's hades to effectively check each and every one of the over 100 individual cells that make up that hybrid battery.
    complete replacement is probably the better, albeit more expensive, way.

and you probably can't do cell-level replacement. parang battery ng Thinkpad laptops. if you try to replace a cell the whole pack gets bricked

so you gotta replace the whole pack. shouldn't be too hard if just a small hybrid battery, just find a wrecked car

but if you need to replace entire pack on a byd dolphin that's gonna be really tough

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    If you think about it, if the price of the battery does not go down, replacing the battery of a 10-15 year old car may not be worth it. And it would be hard to resell because the buyers know that.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by H1Tman View Post
    If you think about it, if the price of the battery does not go down, replacing the battery of a 10-15 year old car may not be worth it. And it would be hard to resell because the buyers know that.
    Good point on that. But the hybrid one which will give you a ton of savings on fuel maybe worth it vs a fully electric one.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    and you probably can't do cell-level replacement. parang battery ng Thinkpad laptops. if you try to replace a cell the whole pack gets bricked

so you gotta replace the whole pack. shouldn't be too hard if just a small hybrid battery, just find a wrecked car

but if you need to replace entire pack on a byd dolphin that's gonna be really tough
    It will depend on the specific vehicle/battery designs on making it feasible but some(Tesla and Toyota) have their batteries divided into modules that can be readily replaced and has no firmware locks at least for the models that are now starting to require replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAHaYXBFnJo

A bit offtopic but i wonder if the Lenovo's Battery's firmware is reliant on its own power ala Capcom CPS2 Arcade boards that store decryption keys in Ram

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLZ View Post
    It will depend on the specific vehicle/battery designs on making it feasible but some(Tesla and Toyota) have their batteries divided into modules that can be readily replaced and has no firmware locks at least for the models that are now starting to require replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAHaYXBFnJo

A bit offtopic but i wonder if the Lenovo's Battery's firmware is reliant on its own power ala Capcom CPS2 Arcade boards that store decryption keys in Ram

i still play cps2 on emulator, winkawaks

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013

2024 Mitsubishi XForce launched in PH: First impressions of Mitsubishi’s stylish new crossover
    Top Gear Philippines

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    2025 Xforce GLS CVT – P 1,367,000
    2025 Xforce GT CVT – P 1,581,000

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast