New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    In case no one knows, here's what most instruction labels advise: "test the solution on an inconspicuous area first".

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I've had this spray can for the better part of 10 years. There's still about 1/3 left of the stuff. Very effective in removing residual adhesives.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SRGuy View Post
    Pwede po ba goo gone sa dashboard - sticky residue din na natuyo. Hindi ba mag discoloration - mamuti after?

Thanks!
    Goo gone is not petroleum-based like most lubricants or other degreasers (e.g. WD40). If the area of the dash to be cleaned is plastic or faux wood/carbon fiber, then it should be fine.

Leather is a different story, tho.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    Goo gone is not petroleum-based like most lubricants or other degreasers (e.g. WD40). If the area of the dash to be cleaned is plastic or faux wood/carbon fiber, then it should be fine.

Leather is a different story, tho.
    Goo-Gone is petroleum based, specifically isoparaffin (aka kerosene). The ingredients are listed in goo-gone's own product literature and the CPID.

Goo Gone Goo & Adhesive Remover Spray Gel, Pump Spray-08/02/2019 | CPID

https://googone.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/845

Goo-gone is basically a scented and colored kerosene + alcohol mix. The old driver's wisdom of 'babad sa gaas' wasn't wrong.
    Last edited by Dr.Kamiya; June 21st, 2024 at 12:12 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The Permatex one that I use smells lemony.... almost silicone spray consistency. Also petroleum based but have not damaged any kind of surfaces I've used it on.

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    The Permatex one that I use smells lemony.... almost silicone spray consistency. Also petroleum based but have not damaged any kind of surfaces I've used it on.
    Bro saan shop available yan Permatex adhesive remover?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SRGuy View Post
    Bro saan shop available yan Permatex adhesive remover?
    I really can't remember exactly. I have a hunch baka sa Blade or any of the popular hardware shops. It was a very long time ago.

I found a listing on Shopee. Medyo expensive but it's worth it. Yung sa akin, 2015 or whereabouts ko pa yata nabili. Hinihiram nalang sa bahay ng extended family ko for their cars and MCs. Even then, siguro mga 30% pa laman nung can.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Goo-Gone is petroleum based, specifically isoparaffin (aka kerosene). The ingredients are listed in goo-gone's own product literature and the CPID.

Goo-gone is basically a scented and colored kerosene + alcohol mix. The old driver's wisdom of 'babad sa gaas' wasn't wrong.

I stand corrected as I didn't know isoparaffins were petroleum-based.

Isoparaffins are quite prevalent in skincare products and is also biodegradeable. Equating it with kerosene is a bit of a stretch.

In any case, Goo Gone has been working well for my gooey adhesive removal needs and hasn't been at all harmful to the stuff I used it on.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    I stand corrected as I didn't know isoparaffins were petroleum-based.

Isoparaffins are quite prevalent in skincare products and is also biodegradeable. Equating it with kerosene is a bit of a stretch.

In any case, Goo Gone has been working well for my gooey adhesive removal needs and hasn't been at all harmful to the stuff I used it on.
    Kerosene is also biodegradable in soil or water, that's not something special to isoparaffin
    c13-14 isoparaffin is just "cleaned up" kerosene meaning it's had the sulfur and nitrogen removed. Euro-6 kerosene if one might prefer.

Admittedly I wasn't thinking of cosmetic use and one wouldn't put kerosene on their face, but the aromatics removed from kerosene in the process of creating isopar aren't necessarily bad for a plastic or wooden surface being cleaned.
    Last edited by Dr.Kamiya; June 22nd, 2024 at 06:51 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by fortucsoner2018 View Post
    Hi Sirs,

My wife just bought a 2nd hand Honda city with Faded Rain Visor(supposed to be Black pero halos Clear na sya) and Chrome door handle cover and bowl.
    She want's to replace the visor with a new one and just remove the Chrome covers(not feminine).

My Question is, if I remove these accessories, may chance ba na matuklap din ang paint ng Kotse? Or is there a professional or proper way to remove it, so as not to damage the paint.

Thanks in Advance to your replies and suggestions
    Removing accessories like rain visors and chrome door handle covers from a car requires careful handling to avoid damaging the paint. Here are some steps and tips to safely remove these accessories:

Removing the Rain Visor

1. Heat the Adhesive:
    - Use a hairdryer or a heat gun to gently heat the adhesive holding the rain visor in place. This softens the adhesive, making it easier to remove.

2. Gently Pry Off the Visor:
    - Use a plastic pry tool or a plastic card (like a credit card) to gently lift the edge of the visor. Start at one corner and slowly work your way around. Avoid using metal tools as they can scratch the paint.

3. Remove Residual Adhesive:
    - After removing the visor, there may be some adhesive left on the car. Use an adhesive remover or rubbing alcohol to clean this off. Apply the remover to a soft cloth and gently rub the adhesive until it comes off.

Removing the Chrome Door Handle Covers and Bowls

1. Heat the Adhesive:
    - Similar to the rain visor, use a hairdryer or a heat gun to warm the adhesive behind the chrome covers.

2. Pry Off the Covers:
    - Use a plastic pry tool or a plastic card to carefully lift the edges of the chrome covers. Work slowly to avoid pulling too hard and damaging the paint.

3. Clean Off the Residual Adhesive:
    - Use an adhesive remover or rubbing alcohol to clean any adhesive residue left on the car. Gently rub with a soft cloth to avoid scratching the surface.

General Tips

- Test in an Inconspicuous Area: Before using any adhesive remover, test it on a small, hidden part of the car to ensure it does not damage the paint.
    - Work Slowly and Gently: Rushing the process or applying too much force can damage the paint.
    - Professional Help: If you're unsure or uncomfortable doing it yourself, consider seeking help from a professional auto detailer or body shop. They have the right tools and expertise to remove these accessories without damaging the paint.

By following these steps and tips, you should be able to safely remove the rain visor and chrome door handle covers from your Honda City without damaging the paint.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast