New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 88 of 167 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikselog View Post
    Saksakan ng dilim sa SCTEX sa gabi. Konti lang ang area na may street lights. Overspeeding in almost complete darkness is a stupid thing to do.
    Yep, kaya naka-high beam lahat ng kasalubong. At syempre magha-high beam ka na rin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Yup grabe dilim sa sctex. Naalala ko nung dumaan ako diyan ng 1am before, I was around 120kph that time then a Hyundai GC just zoomed right past through me. Few seconds, he was out of my sight. Hehehe. He must have been running twice my speed. Oh well, mas maliwanag naman hl's niya sakin.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Best time to run is around 5:30-6:30 AM - wala pang highway patrol, pero maliwanag na

4. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    I observed during the lastb2 holidays i went to Subic, last August and this new year that it seems that lax sila to enforce the speed limits as o observed a lot of cars going over 110 kmh but walang nahuhili

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Saksakan ng dilim sa SCTEX sa gabi. Konti lang ang area na may street lights. Overspeeding in almost complete darkness is a stupid thing to do.
    What they should've installed are those Cats Eyes (80s term?? hehehe!) that they have in the US. It serves 2 purposes:
    - Lights up the road by reflecting whatever light comes into contact with it, so even without street lights, your headlights will be enough to show you the road ahead.
    - Acts as rumble strips to remind you to keep in your lane in case you get drowsy and drift into the adjacent lane.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    What they should've installed are those Cats Eyes (80s term?? hehehe!) that they have in the US. It serves 2 purposes:
    - Lights up the road by reflecting whatever light comes into contact with it, so even without street lights, your headlights will be enough to show you the road ahead.
    - Acts as rumble strips to remind you to keep in your lane in case you get drowsy and drift into the adjacent lane.
    +1. Sa mahal ng toll dun eh di man lang nila malagyan lagyan.

On our recent trip to Baguio while driving at SCTEX at 4am may naabutan akong previous gen Vios na bulag isang headlight. Naawa ako kasi sobrang dilim talaga, sinabayan ko ng takbo. Nung binilisan ko konti sumabay rin sya.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Depends on your detector brand/model..

In the case of the Valentine One, it will detect radar/laser sources from front/side/rear (radar) and front/rear (for laser). BTW, window tint will affect the detector's sensitivity.

Are you sure they use radar and not laser in doha?

Anyway, given the cops shoot the rear end of the car makes it harder to detect the speed-trap from long distances because the radar emissions are going in the other way. It is possible to detect the radar "scatter" (radar beam reflections from metal objects) at close distances but it wouldn't be dependable as a warning.
    thanks for the info Sir GH, i am not sure of how to identify if its radar or laser speed trap. normally i have seen in the case of permanent speed cameras, there are 2 holes that im sure 1 is for the camera. holes are as big as the platitos. and on the "randomly placed" speed traps, it it placed on tripods on the front of some Land Cruiser or Vans the cops are using. just the same, they are shooting the rear end of vehicles. im just curious coz my 1st year here already cost me 1500 riyals for 3 violations. 1500 x 11= 1 new cp ...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    +1. Sa mahal ng toll dun eh di man lang nila malagyan lagyan.

On our recent trip to Baguio while driving at SCTEX at 4am may naabutan akong previous gen Vios na bulag isang headlight. Naawa ako kasi sobrang dilim talaga, sinabayan ko ng takbo. Nung binilisan ko konti sumabay rin sya.
    Diba? Andami rin namang unlit freeways sa kanila, winding roads with ups and downs pa, pero with the reflectors there you don't need the street lights. Tapos, no cost of operation. Sa mahal nila sumingil, nasagot na yung cost of installation!

What I liked about the Cats Eye-lined freeways was that you did feel safe coz you knew your boundaries. Since I drove to and from my friend's place at night before which was 1 hour 1 way, I thought it was just a regular highway. When I drove it the next time out with a bit more light, grabe, bundok pala yung dinadaanan ko! Hahaha!

Hehehe! Vios got the drift. Besides, it was probably lonely being left in the dark.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Cats Eyes? may naalala akong dinaanan na may ganyan eh. Skyway ata meron

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bobzy View Post
    thanks for the info Sir GH, i am not sure of how to identify if its radar or laser speed trap. normally i have seen in the case of permanent speed cameras, there are 2 holes that im sure 1 is for the camera. holes are as big as the platitos. and on the "randomly placed" speed traps, it it placed on tripods on the front of some Land Cruiser or Vans the cops are using. just the same, they are shooting the rear end of vehicles. im just curious coz my 1st year here already cost me 1500 riyals for 3 violations. 1500 x 11= 1 new cp ...

In most cases, fixed type speed traps use radar to measure speed of the vehicle. These look like a big metal box with two holes (camera and radar). Portable type setups on tripods that are the size of the old style "video-cameras" might be laser speed cameras as their recommended operation should be mounted and not handheld. Hand-held operation of laser-speed guns can induce error in measurement.

--------------------------------

I found this bit of news

LINK: Bad drivers beware: Rollout of point-to-point radar system across Doha 'soon' | Doha News

It seems to talk about radar but reading it through, it was talking about LIDAR (or laser based detection).

---------------------------------

Talking about the tripod mounted speedgun, does it look like the following?

This is the gun currently used by the MMDA to monitor Commonwealth and Macapagal Ave as well as SLEX (I think).

The guys at the Coastal Road are using six units of Bushnell radar speed guns which look like the following:

Last edited by ghosthunter; January 3rd, 2013 at 12:13 AM.

NLEX, SCTEX, Over-Speeding, Speed-Radar  [MERGED Threads]