New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    What do you guys think Toyota will upgrade for the Fortuner as a major upgrade? There are three things I feel that needs upgrade.

1. Engine- needs a more powerful one, a 2.5 liter that can surpass 170 horsepower like the Montero Sport. 3.0 diesel must be more powerful than 2.5. 2.7 liter gas must be more powerful than the 2.4 K24 of the Honda CR-V, 185 hp. Just ridiculous that a 2.7 is weaker than a 2.4 by 25 hp.

2. Transmission- most of the midsize SUVs and even compact SUVs and sedans are at least 5 speed automatic and 5 manual. Toyota should upgrade its mediocre 4 speed auto because it is getting out of date. Give it a 6 speed, if not a 5 speed can do.

3. Brakes- don't you realize that most of its mid-size counterparts have 4 wheel disc now? Even the new Alterra and Everest have. The current Montero may have discs. I hope they upgrade its brakes soon.

The Innova is hopeless and will receive the same weak 2.5 engine and rear drums and 4 speed automatic I bet. Price would most probably go up to 1.3 million. Buy the Kia Carens instead.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Dito sa Middle East lang meron upgrade

Tsikot Mobile App

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    some acquaintances of mine would prefer a suspension upgrade above all others.. matagtag pa daw..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by InternalCombust View Post
    What do you guys think Toyota will upgrade for the Fortuner as a major upgrade? There are three things I feel that needs upgrade.

1. Engine- needs a more powerful one, a 2.5 liter that can surpass 170 horsepower like the Montero Sport. 3.0 diesel must be more powerful than 2.5. 2.7 liter gas must be more powerful than the 2.4 K24 of the Honda CR-V, 185 hp. Just ridiculous that a 2.7 is weaker than a 2.4 by 25 hp.

2. Transmission- most of the midsize SUVs and even compact SUVs and sedans are at least 5 speed automatic and 5 manual. Toyota should upgrade its mediocre 4 speed auto because it is getting out of date. Give it a 6 speed, if not a 5 speed can do.

3. Brakes- don't you realize that most of its mid-size counterparts have 4 wheel disc now? Even the new Alterra and Everest have. The current Montero may have discs. I hope they upgrade its brakes soon.

The Innova is hopeless and will receive the same weak 2.5 engine and rear drums and 4 speed automatic I bet. Price would most probably go up to 1.3 million. Buy the Kia Carens instead.
    I wouldn't never trade my Toyota for a korean car

5. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
    I wouldn't never trade my Toyota for a korean car
    same with me.. our next SUV will coming from a japanese company again..

IMHO, higher spec'ed engines means tighter tolerances which equates to higher maintenance costs.

We do have a 2.7VVT-i fortuner and I can say that we are very satisfied with its performance especially on highway runs, ni minsan hindi kami binitin lalo na sa overtaking.

Suspension wise, we prefer matagtag suspension to soft suspension. This makes the car predictable especially when changing lanes at high speed or navigating around corners at high speed.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Version will come out sometime this September in Thailand I think, thats the rumour.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Version will come out sometime this September in Thailand I think, thats the rumour.
    I doubt it. Toyota had just released the facelifted with gunmetal colored mags and black interior.

And September has only 12 days to go....

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002

They need to retire the 3rd row jumpseats and replace them with fold flat bench seats with headrest instead.

The spare tire should be inside the car, not outside. They get stolen, a lot. And besides, imagine getting a flat tire in a back road somewhere and you can't even get the tire out. Didn't they think about that?

9. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    There are spy shots going around the Internet, and it is said that the engines would be tweaked for more horsepower and torque. I really hope those engines can enter the Philippine market.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Newcomer123 View Post
    They need to retire the 3rd row jumpseats and replace them with fold flat bench seats with headrest instead.

The spare tire should be inside the car, not outside. They get stolen, a lot. And besides, imagine getting a flat tire in a back road somewhere and you can't even get the tire out. Didn't they think about that?
    I don't think putting a huge & heavy tire inside would be a good idea. That would be a big chore to women or for guys who have a pretty small frame. I don't think girls can lift it in & out of the rear storage, it may take some muscle to do that. Perhaps A good spare-wheel lock would suffice. The current original Spare-wheel lock accessory should come as standard equipment.
    Last edited by wilcats; September 24th, 2014 at 11:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Second generation Fortuner