New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    sensya na mga sir, getting frustrated na din sa unit. tried searching the forum pero walang mahanap na definite answer.

Unit: Fortuner 3.0
    Problem : Excessive white smoke at startup, while running when the engine is still cold. Happens especially in the morning and when the engine has cooled off after an hour or so.

Ano po kaya problema mga sir? Kapag uminit na makina, hindi na sya mausok. My dealer did decarbonizing and some gasket change pero ganun pa din. Advised me to have some o-rings replaced and nozzle something. My mum's driver told me na baka daw valve seal ang problema.

Any experiences (and possible diagnostics and solution/s) mga sir?

BIG BIG thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Boss, may i ask kung diesel or gas model unit nyo? What is the mileage of your vehicle? Theres a lot to consider when your vehicle emits white smoke. Pwde blown/damage cylinder head gasket, mixing of engine coolant sa oil, valve seal, oil leak sa turbo, worn piston rings, clog nozzle tip etc.. If diesel, try to check scv and vgt for clogging. My history po ba ng stalling ang unit nyo?. I suggest to hire a well seasoned mechanic and not a witch mechanic to do trial and error. Start with the basic diagnostic otherwise headache.. Peace=)

3. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Sir,

diesel yung unit as stated (3.0). Caza maintained yung unit sir thats why is very frustrating that even toyota themselves cant fix their own product. they have changed cylinder head gasket. ao po yung scg and vgt? sensya na hindi po ako well coined when it comes to abbreviations ng mga sasakyan haha

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Go to an injection pump shop like Denso. If its valve seals, etc... then that would have been consistent even when the engine is warm already. Do not listen to "baka ganito, baka ganyan" until you have your engine compression tested and the fuel system checked by a competent calibration/diesel injection shop.

If your ride is CASA maintained, what dealer is it serviced at? Is your ride high mileage already? Do you go for service as prescribed (every 5,000kms)?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the advice.

Its ODO reads 112,000 kms. We bought it way back when it was first released. Yer sir, we do have it serviced every 5,000kms even if it was using fully synthetic oil. Even the hood itself is never opened by anyone else except by the dealership. Im not a car techie/enthusiast so I never bothered.

I didnt mind paying premium with the thought that since it was serviced by a toyota dealership, it should be given top service ... but I now know that I was wrong all along.

EDIT: serviced by Toyota Baguio pala sir.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    In my experienced (pajero fieldmaster 180k mileage), encounter this problem already. White smoke is unburn fuel or moisture in the combustin chamber. Could be also the EGR. White smoke from a diesel engine could be normal when it is very humid or cold(like in bagiuo), the engine is cold, the glow plugs are not working to their full potential as long as the white smoke is not excessive. In my case nag mix ang engine coolant sa oil kaya my white smoke. My own mechanic conducted the compression
    test. Pag hindi pasok sa compression specs/ limit, my problem internal parts ng engine mo. Check also your radiator and coolant kung
    nagbabawas ng tubig. Also check the engine temperature kung sobra 'init' ng engine. My instinct tells me that most likely there is internal engine problem and not fuel injection/ calibration. Actually i learned it the hard way when i encounter this kind of problem.

Lastly, there are 3 main colors of smoke from exhaust:
    1.white: associated with water/coolant burning(remedy, compression test,check cylinder head gasket,radiator leak,warped cylinder head,piston rings)
    2.blue: associated with engine oil burning( check valve
    seal,o rings , valve clearance. Check also if hard starting)
    3.black: associated with fuel burning( remedy,go to denso for calibration,replace nozzle tip)

I dont have idea if the diesel engine of fortuner(same as pajero) is made of iron blocked and aluminum. But like i said in the beginning, there should be no smoke coming from the exhaust whatsoever, unless there is something wrong.. Peace=)

7. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Bossing, normally CASA is avoiding that kind of problem kasi ma trabaho sa kanila. They have quota especially in their service garage. Time consuming for (major repair)one vehicle. My suggestion po is to hire a well seasoned mechanic. Contrata nyo service niya so you could see your car having check/service in your own garage or bring the unit here in manila(toyota makati service). Peace=)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you're based in Baguio, there's a Denso service center there which may take a look at your ride (free check naman yan usually). They should also be able to do a compression test. The CASA also normally outsources that kind of work as well as the equipment to test and service CRDi systems can be quite costly.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    maraming maraming salamat mga sirs. actually from la union po ako. but i go to baguio for the change oil and other services. will go there tom and check with denso.

thanks ulet sa mga advices!

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    it does suggest water leak. unfortunately, it's not very easy to evaluate for water loss in d4ds because it's a closed system. there's no radiator filler neck. you may have to look carefully at the overflow coolant reservoir and note the change in coolant levels thru the plastic...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
help po, fortuner excessive white smoke