The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    45-year-old US ship for transfer to Philippine Navy has defects
    By Frances Mangosing
    INQUIRER.net
    5:57 pm | Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012

MANILA, Philippines—The next Hamilton ship from the United States expected by the Philippine Navy to be transferred by end of May this year experienced defects before its last patrol with the US Coast Guard.

The 45-year-old ship, scheduled to be decommissioned in March, was due for return to its homeport in Charleston, South Carolina, Wednesday morning (US time) after completing a 94-day patrol.

“Through most of this more than 90-day patrol we have focused on simply getting underway and staying underway; a greater feat than one may think. After four decades of service, Dallas’ equipment failures have impacted our ability to perform missions on a daily basis and throughout this patrol the crew has worked through some amazing challenges,” wrote Captain Jim Munro, commanding officer of Coast Guard Cutter Dallas, in his farewell message to the ship as posted in the US Coast Guard website Tuesday (US time).

“During months of preparation, a hole was cut in Dallas’ hull and a main diesel engine block was replaced. The crew then worked to pull together systems that were dormant during a long in-port period and breathed life back into them. They fought through a flurry of last-minute equipment casualties and the material challenges of an old ship were felt immediately as we experienced problems with the reduction gear lubrication systems,” he added.

“After diverting to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for repairs, we were back underway. A long stint of operations followed, 30 days worth, and it felt good to get that under our belt, especially as two go-fast interdictions occurred in that intense period,” he also said.

During the three-month patrol of Dallas, one of the “most capable cutters stationed on the East Coast,” the crew made one marijuana seizure and one cocaine drug interdiction. The ship also transferred detainees suspected of attempting to smuggle drugs into the U.S., to various law enforcement agencies. The cutter made a stop in Cartagena, Colombia, and several visits to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, the US Coast Guard said.

Meanwhile, the Department of National Defense Public Affairs posted in its Facebook account Wednesday confirming that the ship is retiring but it did not acknowledge that the ship will join the Navy asset.

“Though there will be additional Hamilton class ships scheduled to join our fleet, much of the public’s enthusiasm especially modernization buffs believe that the next sister ship for “Gorio” would be the soon-to-be decommissioned US Coast Guard Dallas. The ship is indeed retiring from service and without final confirmation yet that this ship will join our Navy, you can read its ‘final logs’ and stories of its remaining voyages in the USCG. Again, let us all wait for the official announcement.”

But last week, Vice Admiral Alexander Pama said he has already received the formal letter of offer on the Hamilton Class Cutter US Coast Guard Dallas.

“Kung masusunod yung schedule, bago matapos and taon, dalawa na yung Secretary Class natin. Maaring May (If the schedule will be followed, before the end of the year we will have two Secretary Class vessels),” Pama told reporters after the Philippine Military Academy Homecoming.

The United States Congress formally approved the transfer of the Dallas to the Philippines on February 10 this year.
    SOURCE: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/264...vy-has-defects

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the words "floating coffin" suddenly comes to mind...

hay naku, more obsolete garbage is dropped off by our masters so pinoys, be thankful for your scraps.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    We have ships older than the sailors. The Philippine Navy has the distinction of having the only ship that actually sunk a german uboat that is still in commission. And I think they won't just blow up and sink. Beggers can't be choosy...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    At least they replaced the engine block before they transferred it to us :D

We need big hulls capable of patrolling the sea states around our interests in the West Philippine Sea. An old and defective (repairable?) hull is still better than none at all. Besides they're available now and they were needed yesterday. It may be under equipped compared to the PLAN's ships but it's like an old guard dog: it may not have teeth but it can still bark at intruders.

It's just a matter of properly maintaining them. The law requires that used acquisitions must be operable for at least 15(?) years.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The sister ship on patrol:

Some of its creature comforts:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...05424622_n.jpg

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Beggars can't be choosers nga. Pero hindi naman basta lulubog yan. Palitan lang yung critical engine and navigation equipment para ayos.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    We paid transfer costs so they were not exactly given to us for free. Presyong kaibigan lang. Nigeria got one too: THEWILL - Expanding the National Conversation - Update: Nigerian NAVY Takes Delivery Of Warship NNS THUNDER F90

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    You know guys...the Philippines must be thankful for these military hardware being donated. They maybe old but I believe it can still do the job. The negative comments about the US "giving out" antiquated equipment is not nice. I feel so bad about such comment. As an officer in the US Air Force we still fly KC-135 which is 58 years old, it can still perform the essential missions and we deploy with these birds every now and then. The C-130's which is 54 years old, we still use these birds both for training and missions.
    You need to have a second look, we dont throw garbage to countries, the officers above me makes decisions that will benefit those who are in need. The US cannot give something that is expensive because the american people paid those investments, its our tax dollar working at best. The american people expect something in return for the investment they made. If ever the Philippines can afford to buy new military hardware like Taiwan, Japan or Singapore, The US government can make that happen. The Philippines can have everything they want as long as you can pay for it. As one of the poster have said "beggars cant be chooser". Its up to the Philippine military to maintain and upgrade these equipment if they want a fully functioning ship or bird. It does not matter if your opponent has these and that, I know that filipino can fight any adversaries until the last man standing.
    Having said my word, I have meet a few Philippine Air Force officers when I went to my Squadron Officer's School in Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama, we studied together about the works of Sun Tzu as well as Carl Von Clausewitz, they became my classmates, my friends and they were great people and they considered me as one, being a Filipino by blood.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    totally agree with you Cale.
    This cutter, though with defects that can be remedied and patched, still will help our poor Navy. Even though we'll pay for fees and improvements/rehab, the money is well spent for the size of the cutter rather than buying bangkas with outboard motors. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Cale View Post
    You know guys...the Philippines must be thankful for these military hardware being donated. They maybe old but I believe it can still do the job. The negative comments about the US "giving out" antiquated equipment is not nice. I feel so bad about such comment. As an officer in the US Air Force we still fly KC-135 which is 58 years old, it can still perform the essential missions and we deploy with these birds every now and then. The C-130's which is 54 years old, we still use these birds both for training and missions.
    You need to have a second look, we dont throw garbage to countries, the officers above me makes decisions that will benefit those who are in need. The US cannot give something that is expensive because the american people paid those investments, its our tax dollar working at best. The american people expect something in return for the investment they made. If ever the Philippines can afford to buy new military hardware like Taiwan, Japan or Singapore, The US government can make that happen. The Philippines can have everything they want as long as you can pay for it. As one of the poster have said "beggars cant be chooser". Its up to the Philippine military to maintain and upgrade these equipment if they want a fully functioning ship or bird. It does not matter if your opponent has these and that, I know that filipino can fight any adversaries until the last man standing.
    Having said my word, I have meet a few Philippine Air Force officers when I went to my Squadron Officer's School in Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama, we studied together about the works of Sun Tzu as well as Carl Von Clausewitz, they became my classmates, my friends and they were great people and they considered me as one, being a Filipino by blood.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Although with defects, the US cutter Dallas reported to be sent to the Philippines, is a welcome addition our poorly equipped Philippine Navy.

Having 2 0r more of these type of ships will put some teeth to our fleet.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Philippine Navy acquires Hamilton class patrol craft