New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    We have the second highest electricity rates in asia. I think it's about time we have a thread on electricity saving that does not rely on various "gadgets". I'll start it out -- feel free to add your own tips that you've found to be effective.

1. For lighting fixtures needing fluorescent lights (yung ayaw o hindi puwedeng natural light or CFL), I've found that using good reflectors and PS or ICC-marked elecntronic ballasts can save a bundle. I've also gotten away with diffusers in areas not necessitating 'beautifying'.

2. Don't be stingy on the AC cleaning. True, cleaning the filter often suffices. But outside, often dusty polluted air is able to go inside your AC unit through the back. Only a professional cleaning job will do in this case. Also, avoid damaging the cooling fins.

3. Turn off lights when leaving a room. When practical, turn off the AC also -- or at least raise the thermostat when you go out for a short time.

4. Unplug electronics from the source when not in use for a moderate amount of time. If not, use an ICC or PS-marked surge protector at an easily reached location and turn THAT off when not in use -- just don't overload. True, most electronics use only a watt or so when in standby mode. But left on for half a day, that 1 watt increases to: 1 x 12 hours x 30 days x number of devices for 1 whole month!

5. Don't be too stingy on replacing appliances. We often repair appliances to death in this country! But replacing them sometimes can give us better, more energy-efficient ones -- just check the energy-efficiency tags that are attached to them.

6. Make sure the fridges and freezers are defrosted regularly and that the doors are properly closed (and stocked) all the time! The doors should require a slight tug when opening -- or it may be time to call the repair man/appliance center.

Sana madagdagan pa ninyo. Peace!
    Last edited by pup2; January 23rd, 2008 at 06:43 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here's something new to add...

Aside from using CFL lights instead of incandecent lights, there is a new type of lights which are LED based. LED lights typically consume only 1 to 5 watts of power depending on application and brightness.

So far only Philips seems to have LED lights in the market. From what I know, you can find them in most ACE hardware outlets. Downside, these new high tech bulbs cost a bit of money, between P200 to P500 per bulb, depending on the model. Plus side, LEDs do not easily burn out even if you constantly turn off/on your lights (convensional bulbs & CFL lights have a dramaticall shorter lifespan if you do this).

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Here's something new to add...

Aside from using CFL lights instead of incandecent lights, there is a new type of lights which are LED based. LED lights typically consume only 1 to 5 watts of power depending on application and brightness.

So far only Philips seems to have LED lights in the market. From what I know, you can find them in most ACE hardware outlets. Downside, these new high tech bulbs cost a bit of money, between P200 to P500 per bulb, depending on the model. Plus side, LEDs do not easily burn out even if you constantly turn off/on your lights (convensional bulbs & CFL lights have a dramaticall shorter lifespan if you do this).

This is true. LED lights is almost undestructible, it might cost a little bit money but compare the electric consumtion into conventional lights plus average of 10,000 hrs of lifespan.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Question about the LED bulbs, I've seen quite a few here but the packages don't have the wattage equivalent markings like CFLs do... What are their equivalent outputs?
    Last edited by theveed; January 24th, 2008 at 08:28 AM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Maybe out of the box, but replace your old Airconditioning Units and Refrigerators every x years.

As they grow older, they become inefficient, which in turn causes them to use more electricity.....

5202:threadmil:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    maybe for those renovating and having houses built, try to maximize natural lighting and ventilation in your design...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Honda97: Yup yup... problem is most homes in pinas choose to have little natural light and covers any remaining gaps of light with plants hehehe.

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    Question about the LED bulbs, I've seen quite a few here but the packages don't have the wattage equivalent markings like CFLs do... What are their equivalent outputs?

Im using one LED lights in my master bedroom and pretty impressive, they live up there words(manufacturer) that this light are closer to the color of daylight. Its true, I dont know how to explain this but even my kids are really love it.

This is what Im using.
    High power cree LED
    Model #...LED-bulb-E26
    Watt-----5 watt
    Brightness----300 lumens
    Power consumptions---6.5 watts
    Life Span------50,000 hrs.
    Cost per bulb-----$135.00

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    P135, not bad...

300 lumens for 5 watts is not bad at all... actually balak ko for photographic purposes hehe...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Are the LED bulbs available in the Philippines already?

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast
The Electricity Saving Thread