New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

[SIZE=1]By Allison Lopez
    Inquirer
    Last updated 11:28pm (Mla time) 02/26/2007[/SIZE]

MANILA, Philippines -- Boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao has decided to drop out of the political race, Manila Mayor Lito Atienza said Monday.
    Pacquiao, scheduled to fight the unbeaten Jorge Solis of Mexico (32-0) on April 14 in Texas, had announced he would run for the congressional seat in South Cotabato currently held by reelectionist Representative Darlene Antonino-Custodio.
    But, without refuting Atienza’s claim, Pacquiao on Monday refused to make a categorical statement on his political plans.
    “I’m not saying I’m not running, but I cannot talk about my final plans at the moment,” Pacquiao told GMA News.
    He said he had to concentrate on his next fight more than anything else.
    “The final filing of candidacy is on March 29, my fight is on April 14. I’m not saying I’m not running,” he told GMA’s Mel Tiangco to whom Pacquiao had earlier confirmed he would be joining the political race.
    But Atienza, a close ally and known adviser of the national boxing hero, said it would be back to the boxing ring for Pacquiao, voted the world’s best boxer in 2006.
    Atienza, who had spent time with Pacquiao at ringside when they watched the “Moment of Truth” card at the Cebu Sports Complex on Saturday, said he had spoken to the famous fighter about his “quandary and obligations in politics.”
    “I’m happy with his decision to set aside politics so he can concentrate on his boxing career and focus on his next fight,” said Atienza in a phone interview.
    Atienza said he explained to Manny “what will be good for the country” and that “politics and boxing do not mix.”
    He added he had never prevented anyone from entering politics before, and that when Pacquiao was in Cebu and someone asked him about politics, Manny himself changed the topic and said they should “focus on his next fight.”
    “He is a patriotic and God-fearing man… but he is at his peak in boxing, so politics can wait,” Atienza said. “At the moment hindi siya tatakbo (He won’t run). But whatever he decides, I will support him.”
    “That’s very good news, Cebuanos would be very happy,” international promoter Rex “Wakee” Salud, a close friend of Pacquiao’s, told the Inquirer Monday.
    Salud said the boos Pacquiao received when he walked into the vast boxing venue in Cebu on Saturday could be a manifestation of the fans’ disapproval of his political plans.
    Pacquiao is scheduled to fly to the US on March 5 to train for his match against Solis, but there were rumors he might postpone his departure and spend more time training in Manila.

LINK

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    P#^$*#*&#* talaga yang Paquiao na yan.

Kung hindi ba naman tatanga-tanga.

Ano bang akala niya, yung pagpasok sa politika e parang pagpili ng kung anong damit yung susuutin sa sunod na araw??! Ano bang gagawin niya sa pulitika e ni hindi nga makapagsalita ng diretso ha.

Ubod ng yabang dahil lang nakatikim ng kaunting pagsikat. Buti pa si Bata Reyes. Mapapabilib ka talaga sa humility ng taong yun.

Before, watching Paquiao and supporting him was almost a civic duty!! But now, he's proven that it's all gone to his head and that he's the worst of the worst opportunists in the land. Either that, or he's just incredibly stupid.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 1.8XLi View Post
    [SIZE=1]By Allison Lopez[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Inquirer[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Last updated 11:28pm (Mla time) 02/26/2007[/SIZE]

MANILA, Philippines -- Boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao has decided to drop out of the political race, Manila Mayor Lito Atienza said Monday.
    Pacquiao, scheduled to fight the unbeaten Jorge Solis of Mexico (32-0) on April 14 in Texas, had announced he would run for the congressional seat in South Cotabato currently held by reelectionist Representative Darlene Antonino-Custodio.
    But, without refuting Atienza’s claim, Pacquiao on Monday refused to make a categorical statement on his political plans.
    “I’m not saying I’m not running, but I cannot talk about my final plans at the moment,” Pacquiao told GMA News.
    He said he had to concentrate on his next fight more than anything else.
    “The final filing of candidacy is on March 29, my fight is on April 14. I’m not saying I’m not running,” he told GMA’s Mel Tiangco to whom Pacquiao had earlier confirmed he would be joining the political race.
    But Atienza, a close ally and known adviser of the national boxing hero, said it would be back to the boxing ring for Pacquiao, voted the world’s best boxer in 2006.
    Atienza, who had spent time with Pacquiao at ringside when they watched the “Moment of Truth” card at the Cebu Sports Complex on Saturday, said he had spoken to the famous fighter about his “quandary and obligations in politics.”
    “I’m happy with his decision to set aside politics so he can concentrate on his boxing career and focus on his next fight,” said Atienza in a phone interview.
    Atienza said he explained to Manny “what will be good for the country” and that “politics and boxing do not mix.”
    He added he had never prevented anyone from entering politics before, and that when Pacquiao was in Cebu and someone asked him about politics, Manny himself changed the topic and said they should “focus on his next fight.”
    “He is a patriotic and God-fearing man… but he is at his peak in boxing, so politics can wait,” Atienza said. “At the moment hindi siya tatakbo (He won’t run). But whatever he decides, I will support him.”
    “That’s very good news, Cebuanos would be very happy,” international promoter Rex “Wakee” Salud, a close friend of Pacquiao’s, told the Inquirer Monday.
    Salud said the boos Pacquiao received when he walked into the vast boxing venue in Cebu on Saturday could be a manifestation of the fans’ disapproval of his political plans.
    Pacquiao is scheduled to fly to the US on March 5 to train for his match against Solis, but there were rumors he might postpone his departure and spend more time training in Manila.

LINK

translation = i realized that Darlene is going to kick my ass :bwahaha:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    btw, if he loses his next fight everybody will say (and rightfully so) that it was all about the distractions.

instead of being the bida in two fields, you might now be an also-ran in both of them, Manny

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    btw, if he loses his next fight everybody will say (and rightfully so) that it was all about the distractions.

instead of being the bida in two fields, you might now be an also-ran in both of them, Manny
    yup at katakot-takot na dahilan ang sasabihin nyan,tapos kung tumakbo pa at natalo,lalong magdadrama yan hindi na PAMBANSANG BAYANI ang pwedeng itawag kundi national LOSER

Quote Originally Posted by onat_1 View Post
    hindi na PAMBANSANG BAYANI ang pwedeng itawag kundi national LOSER
    :lolabove:

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Manny magboxing ka na lang.Mahirap yang ginagawa mo two things at the same time.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Doesnt take much to discourage him. All it took was some booooing.

Haha what an ego... he's so used to people praising him like he's some kind of demigod that a little booooing hurt him enough to make him change his mind.

hey Manny, reality check dude.

Cant u see powerful people around u are using u?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    hey Manny, reality check dude.

Cant u see powerful people around u are using u?
    that's giving too much credit to his intellect.

he's become way too numb, dumb and egotistic for reason.

sana umatras na sya.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    People around manny know he is so freakin popular that if he ran for president he could probably win. (well, maybe that's an exaggeration... maybe not)

They are pushing him to run so they could reap the benefits when he gets elected. Whatever those benefits are--- govt contracts, appointed positions etc... everyone around him wants him to run.

he's a freakin pawn.

and he doesnt even know it.

Pacquiao: Maybe, maybe not to politics!!