New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    I have always wanted a sports car but since I'm buying in the Philippines is it practical to buy a sports car considering the roads are not really that huge. Which car should I buy? An SUV, a sports car, a sedan or a pickup?

For SUV, im thinking if its isuzu alterra, montero or fortuner
    For sports car, hyundai genesis coupe, brz or 86
    Sedan, kia optima or cruze diesel
    Pick-up, anything.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Sir, what are your needs?

but for each category you stated, here are my suggestions:

SUV- Hyundai Santa Fe CRDi Re-VGT or Subaru Forester 2.0 Turbo. Since you really want a sports car, if you're going to get an SUV, then might as well get one that feels closest to a sports car. Both the Forester and the Santa Fe have loads of power/ torque, and with these SUVs you could even put some sports cars to shame in terms of speed.

Sports car- I personally like the BRZ. It may not be as fast as the Genesis coupe, but it is more rewarding to drive. Plus it has a smaller footprint than the Gen coupe, so driving around Manila in the BRZ should be more fun. As for the 86, good luck with Toyota's long queues and outrageous demands. But if you could forgo all those hassles, then get the base model 86, because it is cheaper.

Sedan- The Hyundai Accent diesel and the Ford Focus 2.0 GDi are on the top of my list. Accent diesel for the fuel economy, speed and practically, focus for the features. Both cars look awesome and both cars are fast (though, I think the accent would be faster than the focus) Actually, I think you could get the Accent diesel, improve it more (better suspension, ECU upgrade, mags, better tires) and voila, you have a semi-sports car that doesn't sacrifice practicality. Plus, you probably would have paid less than what you have paid for a genesis coupe.

Pickup- Ford Ranger 3.2. Why? It's fast and you wouldn't miss much the speed and brute power of sports cars.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Pag sports car pwede pang weekend drive sa Nlex - Sctex.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sports car daw or suv, pero ang first choice mo for an suv is an isuzu alterra? then among your choices are the GC and brz/t86? man you sure are confused! gusto mo ng mabilis pero unang choice mo yung suv na may jurassic engine.

for a good compromise between an suv and sports car performance for starers it will either be santa fe, totl sorento, mazda cx5 or cx9, or the subaru forester on the low end. if your budget is a bit more then there is the totl santa fe or the ford explorer. or how about the lexus rx350, audi q5 or q7 or the volvo xc60 or xc90 or even the mercedes benz glk 300? high end will be the prosche cayenne, bmw x5, mercedes gl350.

magkano budget?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Yengonzales View Post
    I have always wanted a sports car but since I'm buying in the Philippines is it practical to buy a sports car considering the roads are not really that huge. Which car should I buy? An SUV, a sports car, a sedan or a pickup?

Pick-up, anything.

Sports Car: you might be happier if you got a MINI... like the MINI COOPER S COUPE or just the regular MINI COOPER S. It goes quite as fast as you can safely do with the other cars and it's iconic looks also gets the same amount of attention as the other sports cars you have mentioned.

SUV: you could choose the Honda CRV 2.4L ... why? ... you can combine having a SUV and a sports car because this car can accelerate quickly. It might not beat a Genesis Coupe but you could probably outrun 95% of the vehicles around you.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    1. When did sports cars been practical animals? :question:

2. What's YOUR definition of a sports car?

Get a Honda Civic. Mod it. Voila! Automatic practical sports car that can seat 5 people!

7. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Get a Dodge Challenger !

8. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Haha hell yeah im confused. First time kasi. The cars are not in order. Those are just the cars, i think, ill choose on but im keeping an open mind. my budget is just like the prices of those cars. It cant be more than 2M. Medyo mabigat na sa bulsa ko if more than that.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Naku mahal yan. Di kaya sa budget. Ang kaya ko lang if ever is dun sa 3 nabanggit ko na "sports car." Thanks though

10. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Yengonzales View Post

Pick-up, anything.
    For SUV, check out any of those 3 including the Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.5 or 2.8 Duramax VCDi. Personally though at this current stage, i would choose the Chevy Trailblazer.

If diesel-fed CUV naman, you have a lot of good choices from the line-ups of:

1. Hyundai (used previous model Santa Fe 2.2 R-eVGT if you're tight on budget for the 4x4 new Santa Fe, or Tucson 2.0 R-eVGT); and
    2. Kia (used previous model Sorento 2.2 R-eVGT and you may check also if may diesel Sportage 2.0 R -eVGT na sa Pinas).

The gas CUVs are the Toyota Rav 4 VVT-i, Nissan X-Trail 2.0 and 2.5, Mitsubishi ASX 2.0. If gas naman na CUV/SUV with an integrated ladder-frame chassis, iisa lang sa Pinas, Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 VVT, which is within your price range.

For a pickup, you may check out the all-new Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCi Duratorq pickup.

Goodluck!