New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Good point. But e-phuv is better than those ugly smoke belching and rickety jeepneys.

Anyway, an old article that talks about the significance of e-jeepneys of PHUV, Inc. and MVPMAP.

Fact is Makati, Greenpeace and Bacolod are going for it.

And there are schools who are using such vehicle.

Vol. XXII, No. 93
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 | MANILA, PHILIPPINES
    Businessworld Online
    Revival of native auto industry eyed via e-jeepneys

THE BUSINESS arm of a local automaker industry group plans to sell up to 200 units of electric jeepneys (e-jeepneys) in the next two years in a bid to revive the country’s native car manufacturing sector.
    In a telephone interview PhUV, Inc. President Ferdinand I. Raquelsantos said they had received 44 orders from environment group Green Peace.
    He said 26 vehicles would be delivered by the end of December, while the rest will come next year.

Jonathan L. Cellona
    "Our clients include malls, local governments, villages and resorts, but each has ordered only one unit," he said in Filipino.
    The e-jeepney is a cleaner alternative to its smoke-belching, gas-powered counterpart. It can carry up to 14 passengers and make its way through foot-high floods.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Article about the e-PHUV

This was written by Ducky Paredes.
    Posted on Wednesday, July 8, 2009, at 6:14 am.
    Filed under Malaya.

It is sad that the government bureaucracy is unable to help those assembling electric jeepneys. They would like to be granted incentives so that they can expand production, Trade Undersecretary Elmer Hernandez says that it is too bad that they cannot be granted Board of Investments (BOI) approval and incentives: “To do that they must be a participant of the Motor Vehicle Development Program, which sets a minimum investment requirement for the assembly of local vehicles.”

[SIZE=2]The Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturers Association of the Philippines has been producing five to 10 electric jeepneys a month PhuV Inc., its business unit.[/SIZE]

Toyota Motors produces an electric vehicle called Prius, which is designed for highway driving. The electric vehicles being produced locally are mainly for use within subdivisions or for short trips to school or the neighborhood supermarket.

The electric vehicles now being produced reduce carbon emissions by 50 percent, and they may be plugged overnight into any electricity outlet to run for up to eight hours the next day. Too bad that the government can not give them any incentives even as it does to imported vehicles that are only “assembled” in the Philippines.

“Assembled” is in quotes since most vehicles imported with incentives come in practically whole and will need only a few hours of “assembly” before they are driven on our streets.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007

e-jeepneys in Bacolod

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post
    Good point. But e-phuv is better than those ugly smoke belching and rickety jeepneys.
    Like I said, conversion to using a petrol engine converted to Auto-LPG would make those existing jeepneys clean and green. Probably even greener and economically self-viable if you consider the entire scope of the project and NOT the short sighted vision that have plagued every so-called government sponsored environmental projects from the past to today.

Anyway, an old article that talks about the significance of e-jeepneys of PHUV, Inc. and MVPMAP.
    Maybe you should post a link to that elusive old article for us to read...

Fact is Makati, Greenpeace and Bacolod are going for it.
    And only because there is funding from the government and abroad pushing the project forward.

Ask you this... what happens when the government money dries up and the e-jeepney project has to sustain itself? It's been over a year and I don't see much acceptance for the e-jeepney in the public transport in Makati. I tend to see more e-trikes in The Fort area than e-jeeps.

And there are schools who are using such vehicle.
    Using it and benefiting from it are two different things.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    “Assembled” is in quotes since most vehicles imported with incentives come in practically whole and will need only a few hours of “assembly” before they are driven on our streets.
    Given the main components e-jeeps are actually imported from another country, doesn't that defeat the purpose of doing the e-jeeps? It would just be like as if we were using imported engines with locally built body shells to produce jeeps and buses today?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    As I remember, the PHUV was featured in Discovery Channel and actually won first price in the TV series (Ecopolis). The selling point was that the electrity will be sourced from methane gas from Smokey Mountain or other dump sites.

http://science.discovery.com/video/ecopolis.html - Look for the Jeepney episode.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Like I said, conversion to using a petrol engine converted to Auto-LPG would make those existing jeepneys clean and green. Probably even greener and economically self-viable if you consider the entire scope of the project and NOT the short sighted vision that have plagued every so-called government sponsored environmental projects from the past to today.
    Hmmm...auto-lpg, economically self-viable? For public transport? I doubt.

Maybe you should post a link to that elusive old article for us to read...
    I have included the source why not just google the supposedly "elusive" old article?

And only because there is funding from the government and abroad pushing the project forward.
    Point is there is funding. If it become successful, maybe more will come.

Again, you cant deny the fact that Makati, Bacolod and Greenpeace pushed for it.

Ask you this... what happens when the government money dries up and the e-jeepney project has to sustain itself? It's been over a year and I don't see much acceptance for the e-jeepney in the public transport in Makati. I tend to see more e-trikes in The Fort area than e-jeeps.
    To early to predict. Btw, what do you think?

Using it and benefiting from it are two different things.
    Of course.

But for your information, the school is definitely benefiting from it. I think you cant argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Given the main components e-jeeps are actually imported from another country, doesn't that defeat the purpose of doing the e-jeeps? It would just be like as if we were using imported engines with locally built body shells to produce jeeps and buses today?
    Point is, its better than nothing. e-PHUV is 60% local.

Alot better than importing everything like those mostly CKD (all-imported auto kits), SKDs (all-imported except tires and batteries?)and of course the all imported CBUs with zero local content ..what benefit can the Philippines get from these companies (Toyota, Hyundai etc.) aside from employment (hiring contractuals and employees paid just above minimum wage?)

Definely a drain to our GIR and a source of our trade deficit.

Besides, what was the experience of Hyundai and these Chinese, Malaysian, and Indian vehicles? They first used imported engines and then eventually manufactured them under license.
    Last edited by jpdm; September 2nd, 2009 at 12:39 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by allanctan View Post
    As I remember, the PHUV was featured in Discovery Channel and actually won first price in the TV series (Ecopolis). The selling point was that the electrity will be sourced from methane gas from Smokey Mountain or other dump sites.

http://science.discovery.com/video/ecopolis.html - Look for the Jeepney episode.
    Correct.
    It more viable in the long term and communities will benefit compared with those expensive fossil fuels using all-imported technology.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by allanctan View Post

As I remember, we have CNG buses that is supposed to be running on CNG sourced from the local NG well... yet that one seems to have fallen through.

Do you expect to have a methane fuelled power plant up and running? Excuse me but I would have to see it before I believe it especially with the kind of track record we have in the Philippines for such projects.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post
    Hmmm...auto-lpg, economically self-viable? For public transport? I doubt.
    Yet the taxis are benefitting from cheap Auto-LPG for a few years already and that is without any government dole outs.

I have included the source why not just google the supposedly "elusive" old article?
    Why google when you seemingly have the actual link saved somewhere on your PC?

it is your mention of the existence of the supposed article. So maybe you should defend your statement by posting the link to it, right?

Point is there is funding. If it become successful, maybe more will come.

Again, you cant deny the fact that Makati, Bacolod and Greenpeace pushed for it.
    The point is, it only exists while outside funding will keep it going. Can you say that it would be self-sufficient and economically viable once the outside funding stops?

To early to predict. Btw, what do you think?
    I am a pessimist on this especially as it concerns things like the Philippine government and such. I think it would last only a couple of years once funding dries up for it.

But for your information, the school is definitely benefiting from it. I think you cant argue with that.
    Cite the school.

Point is, its better than nothing. e-PHUV is 60% local.
    But the point is, is that 60% local stuff critical parts? No! Don't argue percentages when the critical components are still all imported.

It's just like arguing the percentage of a locally built bus. It might be 80% local but it's critical parts are still all imported.

Alot better than importing everything like those mostly CKD (all-imported auto kits), SKDs (all-imported except tires and batteries?)and of course the all imported CBUs with zero local content ..what benefit can the Philippines get from these companies (Toyota, Hyundai etc.) aside from employment (hiring contractuals and employees paid just above minimum wage?)

Definely a drain to our GIR and a source of our trade deficit.
    Well, buying and properly applying the correct technology like Auto-LPG kits can lead to better solutions that are self-sustaining and socially beneficial like public transport that can be both cheap for the riding public yet profitable for the operator.

What is the point of trying to be "green" or "locally-made" when it is not economically feasible to be self-sustaining?

Besides, what was the experience of Hyundai and these Chinese, Malaysian, and Indian vehicles? They first used imported engines and then eventually manufactured them under license.
    You are citing countries with populations that can sustain such enterprises into technology transfer. Unfortunately the Philippine experience in such ventures of so-called "technology transfer" is nothing more than simply a bust. Our car companies are nothing more than assembly plants for parts shipped from abroad. Most critical parts (like engines) are still made elsewhere as it was for decades.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
PHUV, Inc.