New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    HAHAHAHA

diba sabi we have to support our local car industry?

hehehe

With jeepneys getting into accidents, it sounds more like the local carnage industry. :D

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I think the jeepney in the pictures is what all jeepneys in the country should be like. With some more additions like a brand new, clean and adequately powerful engine, front disc brakes, at least electric fans inside and perhaps another exit. With these, the Philippine jeepney might become a symbol of Philippine ingenuity once again.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Hmmm...loosely judging from your posts you boys either don't commute much or don't commute at all. ;) If the general public reads your comments, they'd probably think that we are a bunch of eletists pricks here in this fine community of ours.

I'm old enough to remember when jeepney drivers were not a road menace i.e. old timers that follow (well, not always but even us PV owners don't follow road ruls 100% oif the time 24/7) laws and rules. Sadly, jeepney drivers of the last two generations or so degenerated into real bad drivers who don't know diddly-squat on road laws and rules. I stress driver because it's the driver you should "hate", not the jeep. As with all vehicles, jeepneys are just tools and the tool is only as stupid as the person behind the tool.

I drove jeepneys during nights (for a year, when I used to live in Cebu: Basak - Colon route) years ago - just for the heck of it and I tell you, they live difficult lives and I tell you, a lot of PUV drivers "hate" PV owners. Hate begets hate.

Sure, jeepneys are outdated and old and I do agree that public transport in our country needs to be "revamped"/changed. Why, even former Pres. Ramos tried to get the jeepney of our roads but as long as there are Pinoys who earn less than or equal to the minimum wage, then jeepneys are here to say for the "unforseable" future. The jeepney is arguably the most cheapest way to mass transport people from one place to another (that is more than 4 kilometers.)

Also, why blame the government? Government can't think of every solution to all our woes. However, I do agree that they should at least take the lead in looking for an alternative solution.

Do I ride a jeepney? Sure I do! Sumasabit pa nga ako minsan. Why waste precious petrol if I can pay PhP 8.50 for my 4-kilometer trip to the market? Then again, different strokes for different folks.

Kayo ba eh marunong namang mag-commute, as in sumasakay sa jeepney? If yes, so all the time na sumasakay kayo sa jeepney eh you "hate it". Be clear: I'm not trolling or flaming - I just want to know if you have ever experienced riding jeepneys for a period of time, hinde yung isang beses or dalawang beses lang.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Kayo ba eh marunong namang mag-commute, as in sumasakay sa jeepney? If yes, so all the time na sumasakay kayo sa jeepney eh you "hate it".
    Yessirree...when I was a college student (UP Diliman) and subsequent post-graduate studies (MD) in Manila....had also may share of commuting esp. in jeepneys.

Nah...i didn't really hate it because for a student's budgeted allowance that's all I can afford..but admittedly uncomforting ride. Tiis na lang. Mainit, uncomfortable esp. pipilitin punuin halos isang puwit na lang nakatapat sa upuan, sasakit ulo mo kung tatama sa bobong pag-may humps or potholes, your back to the outside leaving you vulnerable to the weather elements, to criminals, kakalabitin ka from vendors to beggars, to name a few. Certainly you would agree with me that it is not a ride you can be proud of...much more pino-promote sa tourism esp. foreigners!

Tourist: "It was one hell of a ride!" Literally.
    (Background music....Manila, manila......mga jeep nagliliparan......)

And as you have also confirmed, its also becoming a bane in the streets. One to blame are the drivers. But the jeep's design also. Aside from what I mentioned:

-placing a cargo mounting platform at the back that obscures the tailights when loaded (common in the provinces).
    -very extended front bumpers. Tell you what, I was left behind by a RORO ferry boat because my car did not fit in which normally would have because a jeepney at the back end occupies more space that it should. Have to wait half a day for the next trip for only a difference of less than a meter's long.
    -irritating mixture of lights, etc.

If this a showcase of Filipino ingenuity then it would probably not the right vehicle to have such known to the world.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I think the jeepney in the pictures is what all jeepneys in the country should be like. With some more additions like a brand new, clean and adequately powerful engine, front disc brakes, at least electric fans inside and perhaps another exit. With these, the Philippine jeepney might become a symbol of Philippine ingenuity once again.
    honestly GTi, this jeepneys in the pictures are running the streets of cagayan de oro city, mindanao... lot has evolve from the traditional jeepneys...this jeepneys are installed with engines fresh from japan...same engines installed in an isuzu elf or fuso canter...driver and front seat passenger have seatbelts...and no more platform for cargo in the rear...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when jeepney drivers were not a road menace i.e. old timers that follow (well, not always but even us PV owners don't follow road ruls 100% oif the time 24/7) laws and rules. Sadly, jeepney drivers of the last two generations or so degenerated into real bad drivers who don't know diddly-squat on road laws and rules. I stress driver because it's the driver you should "hate", not the jeep. As with all vehicles, jeepneys are just tools and the tool is only as stupid as the person behind the tool.

I drove jeepneys during nights (for a year, when I used to live in Cebu: Basak - Colon route) years ago - just for the heck of it and I tell you, they live difficult lives and I tell you, a lot of PUV drivers "hate" PV owners. Hate begets hate.

i agree!!! its not the jeepney to blame...its the driver...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Here's something you guys might want to see.

The jeepney driver as a drifter.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ob0GL7oEN4"]YouTube - paluan sa san juan!!![/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgkuH0m_340&feature=related"]YouTube - tungaw VS kinoshita[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKR22r8n0oU"]YouTube - kino rules[/ame]

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon View Post
    Kayo ba eh marunong namang mag-commute, as in sumasakay sa jeepney? If yes, so all the time na sumasakay kayo sa jeepney eh you "hate it". Be clear: I'm not trolling or flaming - I just want to know if you have ever experienced riding jeepneys for a period of time, hinde yung isang beses or dalawang beses lang.
    I've only been a motorist since 2004, which means that more than a quarter of my life has been spent commuting in jeepneys; most of my commuting now is by tricycle, though I still ride a jeepney occasionally. And while it is true that jeepney drivers are mostly to blame for the jeepney's infamy, the vehicle itself has flaws that are glaringly apparent, especially so in modern times.

For one thing, a typical jeepney provides virtually no protection from pollution, whether from air or noise, with its open windows.

Another thing is that jeepneys are not exactly built with safety in mind. Consider that a Toyota HiAce was rammed by a truck in Makati, killing Dulce Saguisag a year ago. Consider that a Mercedes-Benz sedan was hit by a speeding bus on EDSA recently, killing a prominent doctor. Consider that two occupants of a Toyota Revo split into four pieces when it collided with an overtaking bus on the NLEX. Compared to the jeepney being held up mainly by spot welds, these vehicles were properly designed, engineered and assembled using state-of-the-art processes for their time -- and yet that wasn't enough to protect their occupants from accidents which weren't really the fault of their respective drivers. Replace each of them with a filled jeepney in their respective scenarios, and you'll instantly have a massacre. Plus jeepneys do not have restraint systems; people tend to slide across the benches and slam into the front in the event of an accident.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Here's something you guys might want to see.

The jeepney driver as a drifter.
    Tikwal tawag dyan. Matagal ng ginagawa ng mga mokong na jeepney drivers yan dyan sa area na yan. Mas gumrabe lang ngayon dahil nauso drifting.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pewski View Post
    honestly GTi, this jeepneys in the pictures are running the streets of cagayan de oro city, mindanao... lot has evolve from the traditional jeepneys...this jeepneys are installed with engines fresh from japan...same engines installed in an isuzu elf or fuso canter...driver and front seat passenger have seatbelts...and no more platform for cargo in the rear...
    Concur. Medyo madalas akong mapasyal sa Cagayan de Oro, Iligan and sa Lanao Proper (last 2-3 years).

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
The Philippine Jeepney...