New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 120 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by itchywitch View Post
    All true!

I say 'nakakaloka' because actually trying to change your habits or go as green as you can is so difficult. Especially more so if you are the obsessive compulsive type. Pero OT na yan. Sorry.

So back to jeeps. The Dutch grant mentioned was for the whole study and the production of the prototype jeeps. But from hereon it is really up to the local municipalities to make this real. Bacolod is the first city to commit to Greenpeace & Gripp to be the 1st Green City in the Philippines. Now after seeing the electric jeepney, Binay wants a ride on the environment bandwagon. Let's watch Bacolod and Makati race towards this.
    Changing one's habits to go green presupposes a change in values. The attitude problem is the hard part. Change the attitude of government and big business and national habits can change more easily. (And sometimes, being OC is a gift. Some people want, nay, have to know the issues to the last detail. And others are just passionate about cars and propulsion technologies.)

But I still have serious doubts if getting splashed, sweating, getting wet, and breathing fumes while commuting are habits that people will ever get used to. Auto design is not just about propulsion.
    It's primarily about PEOPLE who want safe and comfortable means of getting from Point-A to Point-B.

But since this technology is relatively new to many, it merits a closer look -- even just for the sake of completeness. So, here's a short overview.

Those who want to learn a bit more about HOW ELECTRIC VEHICLES WORK, can visit the ff pages from HOWSTUFFWORKS.COM.

* Introduction to How Electric Cars Work
    * An Electric Car Example
    * Doing a Conversion
    * Inside an Electric Car
    * Charging an Electric Car
    * The Magna-Charge System
    * Battery Problems
    * Electric Car Video

The acknowledged leader in cutting edge e-car research & development is Tesla Motors.

Those who want to know HOW SOLAR CELLS WORK, visit
    * Solving Solar-Power Issues
    * Solar Car Video

To run a vehicle purely on solar power using photovoltaic (PV) cells is not really that feasible at the moment. It still has to pair up with some other energy source. Hence, you have hybrid vehicles. What "PHEV" originally means is "Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle" (not "Philippine Electric Vehicle", but that's alright). The e-Jeepney is essentially a PHEV. I guess that's one of the reasons why LTO is balking on e-Jeepney's registration process. Among other things, they're having difficulty categorizing it. You can also imagine how the oil companies don't like the idea of becoming irrelevant.

At the moment, hybrid-electric vehicles (HEV) pair up internal combustion engines and electric motors, generally powered by electric batteries or other rechargeable energy storage system or "RESS".

If you want to do away with combustion, you have to connect to a power supply grid. Vehicle to Grid (V2G) technology is a bi-directional grid interface for gridable Electric vehicles such as Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV) and Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV). It's a version of Battery-to-grid, but applied to vehicles.
    Last edited by dprox; August 14th, 2007 at 02:49 AM.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    this e-jeep is really cool ... a quick and simple calculation yields the equivalent fuel economy at 42 km/li ... not far from what I get with my Honda Wave 100 motorcycle

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Great!!!Indeed this country is not short of innovative and resourceful people and entrepreneurs!!!!keep it up Insular Technologies!!!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Uh... When are these things suppossed to be running about anyway?

I've heard of them for quite some time now but have yet to actually see once on the road.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    dapat kasi hybrid...yung katulad ng mga txi sa manila na puedeng LPG at gasolina....kasi yang e-jeep ng Dumaguete ok kasi locally made at madaling i-fabricate..ang biyahe yan ay yung mga subdivisions...tama na yung mga inefficient at very expensive na pamasahe ng tricycle...

Actually, dapat alisin na tricyle....maingay, mausok, mahal ang pamasahe at delikado pa...especially sa mga babae pag gabi.....

yang e-jeep ng Dumaguete at Insular technologies, electric car nung taga-QC at e-jeepney ng MVPMAP ang dapat pumalit sa anachronistic na mga Tricycles...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I was thinking along the lines of a schoolbus... Travels only at a certain time of the day kaya kayang magrecharge, and the distance it will take daily is also predictable...

Must be really nice to have electric schoolbuses

Are these e-jeepneys from dumaguete commercially available na? Their website is practically empty.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    The MVPMAP is pushing for the local manufacture of e-jeepneys with an initial 44 units in cooperation with a Dutch NGO, GRIPP.

Hope MVPMAP will become successful and will help spur the local manufacture of other similar indigenouslly engineered vehicles...

Go MVPMAP e-PHUV! Hope you will still produce a diesel-fed (with biofuel) Philippine utility vehicle...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dprox View Post
    The e-Jeepney is essentially a PHEV. I guess that's one of the reasons why LTO is balking on e-Jeepney's registration process. Among other things, they're having difficulty categorizing it. You can also imagine how the oil companies don't like the idea of becoming irrelevant.
    yeah, I think often times, our government policies make it hard for us to innovate/invent. I still remember the locally made x-ray machine for one. Some Filipino guy was able to invent a locally made x-ray machine but it got scrapped because the Government required it to pass certain tests which werent available here. Yet they let many used surplus xray junk go through without being retested for radiation leaks and all... yet they offered no help in being able to come up with these tests.

Our policies tend to become too stiff sometimes and its often used by many people in office to their financial advantage (if you want us to bend the rules, then pay us)... Kaya home grown innovations are hard to come by, unless they are only asthetic ones. It's common for us to trust in foreign made innovations faster than local ones, and even giving them more ability to "flex" our rules as long as they've been tested abroad.

This is a challenge to local producers who would like to make innovations such as hybrid or electric vehicles

9. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    Some Filipino guy was able to invent a locally made x-ray machine but it got scrapped because the Government required it to pass certain tests which werent available here. Yet they let many used surplus xray junk go through without being retested for radiation leaks and all... yet they offered no help in being able to come up with these tests.
    X-ray machine is radiation free if is unplugged. X-ray Machine uses electricity to create radiation. The process accelerates particles that collide with a certain material thus creating x-ray particles... and this would only be possible by using electricity...this is not like gamma-rays which are emmited by radio acitve materials such as iridium, cobalt, cesium and others and used for industrial, and medical purposes. Thats why when you hear cobalt therapy, the body is actually receiving a controlled amount of radiation from radioactive material such a cobalt...

Hope to have shared information to you guys..

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Siguro Ok tong Electric Motor that I found on the Web, accdg to the author up to 350 HP daw ang power. You guys be the judge na lang. It might help our Pinoy built electric vehicles.

Heres the emule link;

ed2k://|file|(Ebook%20-%20Free%20Energy)%20Fuelless%20Engine%2050-350Hp.zip|1871288|BCFF15A72301B8369D1F3E99FAD52D4D |/

"e-Jeepney" - The electric powered jeepney