New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post
    Puede kaya AMC Hammer PHUV? yung pampasada at pag-karga din para lumaki market nyo AMC....ganda kasi gawa ninyo...
    Quote Originally Posted by ocanursjr View Post
    I'm also waiting for AMC to produce their own design PhUV. As of now, made to order pa rin ang Hammer nila.
    Looks like we are all waiting for AMC to design a new vehicle.

First, talagang kailangan magdesign sila Jappy ng ORIGINAL
    para maging "Philippine" talaga (ie, hindi replica).

Second, kailangan MAS MALUWAG kaysa sa Hammer para "Utility" talaga -
    more cargo & at least 15 passengers (ie, hindi masikip).

Third, kailangan MAS MURA sa current Hammer para mas kaya ng nakararaming Pinoy.

OKs na OKs naman ang present design nito - pangmaykaya, pamporma, at pang-export - pero mahirap pang tawaging "PhUV" ang AMC Hammer, sa totoo lang.

I threw that challenge to Jappy last February pa. Jappy, musta na ba?
    Meron na ba kayong bagong design o hihintayin na lang ninyo ang Tsikot PhUV?
    Sakaling matuloy ang Tsikot PhUV, sana kasali ang Alana Motors sa paggawa nito.
    Last edited by dprox; November 20th, 2007 at 06:44 AM.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Ang kalaban pa rin is the availability of a cheap but durable Brand New Engine.

The "everything brand new" label is supposed to be the selling point for the PhUV and the New Anfra

The Hammer doesnt come with a brand new engine,chassis,etc at 650k...If it did, it might cost us 1.2M rin...

Then there's marketability... FMC took up the challenge to make an affordable brand new vehicle that was pangmasa, pangutility, etc... Now their burdened with debts

I think that the market the current Hammer is threading on is safer.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    Then there's marketability... FMC took up the challenge to make an affordable brand new vehicle that was pangmasa, pangutility, etc... Now their burdened with debts

I think that the market the current Hammer is threading on is safer.
    With all due respect sir, There is always a market for locally produced vehicles. In fact, in one of my posts, I quoted a research paper funded by the Japanese regarding the dominance of the local jeepney, tricycle and auv in the local transport industry.You want a copy?

About FMC, the information I got is that they are burdened with debts not because of the production of ANfra but because another company (MAZDA)just dropped them like a hot potato aside from other internal problems.

I hope AMC Hammer will continue producing good vehicles and perhaps improve its technology and someday will work for a PHUV model to reach more markets.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    With all due respect sir, There is always a market for locally produced vehicles. In fact, in one of my posts, I quoted a research paper funded by the Japanese regarding the dominance of the local jeepney, tricycle and auv in the local transport industry.You want a copy?...
    Jeepney: all surplus parts
    Trike: Brand new sidecar?
    AUV: multinational support
    AMC: self-support only = limited
    Yan ang problema point out ni webmeister, sir.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    With all due respect sir, There is always a market for locally produced vehicles. In fact, in one of my posts, I quoted a research paper funded by the Japanese regarding the dominance of the local jeepney, tricycle and auv in the local transport industry.You want a copy?

I hope AMC Hammer will continue producing good vehicles and perhaps improve its technology and someday will work for a PHUV model to reach more markets.
    Yes, JDPM, I would like a copy. I think I sent you a request before. pls send it at webmiesterph*yahoo.com (dont interchange the "ie"). From what Ive seen on another post, the paper seems very nice.

AS I understand, the paper tackles the dominance of the local jeepney, tricycles, and AUV... unfortunately, the locals (mostly using japanese surplus engines), still havent been able to crack any other market well. We do have buses, owner type jeepneys, etc. The AMC Hammer does not qualify as a jeepney, tricycle, and AUV, & as such is not covered by the paper. It looks like a good product, I have no doubt, and im looking forward to having one in the future. But for me to want one is different from saying it will be successful in mass production purposes.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Ang kalaban pa rin is the availability of a cheap but durable Brand New Engine.

The "everything brand new" label is supposed to be the selling point for the PhUV and the New Anfra

The Hammer doesnt come with a brand new engine,chassis,etc at 650k...If it did, it might cost us 1.2M rin...
    This is actually the case of the airconditioned jeepneys of David Motors. The aircon jeepneys are really really nice. If you get them with surplus everything, it'll cost 650k, but with a brand new Isuzu Engine and all, itll cost something like 1.2 Million Pesos.

kaya Im wondering how much a Hammer would cost if they use a brand new Engine and other parts from Isuzu Direct? Their all brand new Hammer would still be a lot cheaper than a Hummer, but would cost something like a Patrol na rin. Kaya a lot of upperclass guys might prefer to get a brand new Patrol na lang so they get complete Nissan services na rin. Also, even with a brand new engine, certain parts like seats and door window mechanisms might still be taken from surplus units.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    About FMC, the information I got is that they are burdened with debts not because of the production of ANfra but because another company (MAZDA)just dropped them like a hot potato aside from other internal problems.

Yes, from what I know MAZDA dropped FMC, while FMC had just invested in a new production plant, kaya it meant disaster for them.

The ANFRA was competitive mostly because of its price and quality (brand new quality at a price like that of a surplus). This setup though may have compromised the ANFRA's profitability per unit. Kaya even if they sold so many units of ANFRA, FMC wasnt able to make enough to build their new plant based solely on the ANFRA's sale. This is also the problem many local manufacturers face. They need to keep their prices WAY down in order to be considered by many as sellable, yet when they do it, they dont become very profitable per unit, kaya it becomes hard for them to grow.

Even the largest producer of the Jeepney, Sarao, wasnt able to grow out of their Las Pinas plant, and eventually closed down.

I am very proud and hopeful for the Philippine Automotive Industry, but I think, we need to think of something a bit different from what we've been trying in the past if we want to grow out of these surplus jeepneys, tricycles, and AUV market. Unfortunately, I don't know what that it is. I am not a genuis, hehe.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Yes, from what I know MAZDA dropped FMC, while FMC had just invested in a new production plant, kaya it meant disaster for them.
    To launch the new Ranger in Year 2000, Ford ordered Mazda to abruptly terminate the B200 series (which FMC was assembling for Mazda). Yup, that breach of contract was followed by a bloody court battle, AFAIK. I don't know if the case has been resolved. Financially, bugbog sarado ang FMC.
    The ANFRA was competitive mostly because of its price and quality (brand new quality at a price like that of a surplus). This setup though may have compromised the ANFRA's profitability per unit. Kaya even if they sold so many units of ANFRA, FMC wasnt able to make enough to build their new plant based solely on the ANFRA's sale. This is also the problem many local manufacturers face. They need to keep their prices WAY down in order to be considered by many as sellable, yet when they do it, they dont become very profitable per unit, kaya it becomes hard for them to grow.
    There's also the issue of engineered obsolescence. Like the PUJ, it seems like the Anfra was meant to be maintained ad infinitum (or maybe it's better to say ad nauseam).
    Even the largest producer of the Jeepney, Sarao, wasnt able to grow out of their Las Pinas plant, and eventually closed down.
    One of the reasons Sarao closed down was obsolescence vis-a-vis competition. But there was also a stubbornness over the product. They fell in love with it too much to improve on it.
    I am very proud and hopeful for the Philippine Automotive Industry, but I think, we need to think of something a bit different from what we've been trying in the past if we want to grow out of these surplus jeepneys, tricycles, and AUV market. Unfortunately, I don't know what that it is. I am not a genuis, hehe.
    Sometimes, the absence of genius can be offset by the mutually respectful cooperation of persons who, being of average intelligence, strive for excellence in their respective fields of competence.

If there are Tsikoteers out there who agree with this, please PM me.
    Last edited by dprox; November 30th, 2007 at 09:35 AM.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Grow out from what? Specify sir. Please let me know what you mean by these words.

Anyway, thats why there is the PHUV project sir. The Tsikot PHUV. The Anfra PHUV. AMC Hammer siguro. The point here is that this market segment is our strength. The market even of the "foreign dominated, profit-oriented, oligarchs-infested do-nothing for the country" local vehicle industry gets its bread and butter from the AUV, utility, commercial vehicle segment.

The affordable tricycle (aka. tuktuk etc.) is a uniquely Asian vehicle and it serves the narrow , side streets of Asia specially the Philippines.

Hirap minsan kasi sa ibang Pinoy kung ano trend sa Europa, US, Western countries yun ang dapat gayahin. Bibiliya ng development ang Eurocentric ideas.

Kultura natin ang Jeepney, AUV, tricycle we have to live we it. Ang importante lang dapat ma-improve ang technology ng mga sasakyan na ito at ma-maximize ang benefits nating mga Pinoy mula sa mga ito at hindi ang mga dayuhan lamang ang laging nagbebenepisyo.
    Last edited by dprox; December 2nd, 2007 at 01:42 PM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Grow out from what? Specify sir. Please let me know what you mean by these words.
    I was very much impressed watching the Korean channel when a lot of their companies were presenting and were saying slogans like "We will conquer the world!"...

And its true, Korean appliances LG and samsung, Korean cars Kia, Hyundai, and even Korean food and television programs were once considered below-par. Now they are found all over the world and are seriously competing with Japanese and American products.

What I have seen with these "We will conquer the world" philosophy, which we've also seen among Japanese and now Chinese industries is that they did not just survive - they even expanded and became world famous precisely because their goal was not just to "survive" but rather, "to conquer the world."

Many times, we tend to lack this sort of "goal" found in these other oriental cultures. Our streets were built small with small canal systems, not designed for a bigger future population. Our government officials only plan to win the next elections, not really to have long term development goals. Many of our OFW's dont have long term savings and investments even when they're earning a considerable amount. Our industries strive only to survive the domestic market, and not to conquer the world.

Our tricycles, Jeepneys and AUVs might be suffering from this shortsightedness too. They have had limited success in the domestic market, and their exports haven't been too impressive. Yes, we do export jeepneys but not to the point where they are highly visible in other countries. Most jeepneys are exported for museum or theme park like use, not really for the mass transport systems of that country. (although I heard Cambodia and Nigeria were studying it for their use)

Jeepneys, Tricycles, and AUVs became part of our culture only quite recently. They were not around during the spanish era, for instance. AUV's were only invented in the 1970's, etc... It isnt impossible for us to think of something different which can "conquer the world too" and make it part of our culture. Yes, the AUV's came very close with its Revo/Adventure cousins in Taiwan, and Indonesia, and so far is our closest bet to achieving this... Our goal shouldnt just be to make our industry "survive" but rather to make it "conquer the world" as well.

We've been trying hard for decades to make a brand new vehicle that will make a really really good ending for us. Right now, the results have been a bit disappointing with the Anfra becoming out of business, and the the many assemblers of the past - Atendido, Zebra, Panther, etc, all disappearing at one time or the other.

What I meant by being able to grow out of the Jeepneys, Tricycles, and AUV is that If we continue to use the same tactics we have been doing before, chances are we will come up with the same results. If we really want to "conquer the world" we might need something more original, than making a new body with the same old chassis and engine type, and smacking in some imported stock lights of another vehicle to match it, etc...

Im afraid we will keep coming out with the same results because we keep trying the same formula over and over again. Only that different guys try it at different times.

We might need something more radical than the usual jeepneys, tricycles, or AUV, to ensure the survival of our industry. We might need something that will not just be able to make the industry survive but rather give it the possibility of universal conquest.

If we keep making our culture an excuse not to develop something different, it may limit what we can do and keep us from making vehicles outside those we are accustomed to. As I said, these vehicles only became part of our culture quite recently, and if we are able to popularize something else, it can be embraced by our culture as well.

Now, i dont know what this "new" thing should be, If I did I may have invested in making it. I hope I dont offend anyone with these statements. Im not blaming anyone for these observations. Im just saying that's how I see it. The PhUV might be it... I wouldnt know just yet.

AMC Hammer - the template for Pinoy built vehicles?