New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Hello po,

I'm brand new here, just registered to do some research and see if I could get some help to my questions without having to bother anyone. First of all, thanks for taking the time to hear me. I'm only going to type a lot so you have an idea of what all the problems are. Any help is very appreciated!

My father purchased an Opel Astra from someone he knew, the paperwork is confusing - it is either a 2001 or 2002 Opel Astra G Caravan. I can't figure out from the inside passenger door or above the radiator what it is either. It's a 4-cylinder automatic, 4 doors with a hatchback - basically looks like a wagon but it is called a caravan.

The car is having several issues for which I have no idea where to begin finding replacement parts. The labor can be done by me, as I've owned German cars my entire life and can probably do everything non-computer related on my own with the help of my father. It won't be FUN, but we will do it. It's just that we cannot find the parts and do not know where to begin finding them. Everyone we've spoken to in Pampanga has absolutely no idea what a real AUTO PARTS store is. Not just simple parts, but real auto parts. Something 10 times better than Ace Hardware.

I've read the following posts just so that you know I've tried finding some answers on my own, all I keep hearing about is Thunder (Thunder something on Quezon Avenue somewhere) as being a good place to go for work - but do they sell parts?:

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70666

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46170

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67285

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5360

I'm currently in Pampanga and really (desperately) need to start finding parts for this car. I'm willing to go to Manila of course, I'm almost willing to fly to Singapore or Taiwan if I have to (tickets are only 1000P to 1500P at the moment) and according to the web there are Astra dealerships there. Again, that is the worst case scenario having to go all that way but I won't have any other choice if I can't get to the bottom of this.

Here's a list of the issues:

1.) The radiator has a small hairline crack in it that I discovered tonight, I think the thermostat or the thermostat gasket is faulty and needs to be replaced. Water is not circulating through the engine block all the way, and the reservoir that holds the water has begun spewing water out (just tonight) because the engine is getting way too hot.

2.) Because the radiator has a small hairline crack, does anyone know where to purchase a product called "JB Weld" or another similar product that is strong enough to seal the crack? It's not a big crack, but it is thin and maybe 2-3 inches long. The radiator in the car looks like it's made of hard plastic not metal, so I'm not sure what sealant besides JB Weld would work. I know JB Weld very well, it is an outstanding product I wish I had brought here with me.

3.) The car looks like it needs new rotors, and with that front brakepads, perhaps inner and outer bearings, and rear brake shoes. But the stock rotors may also just be shaped with a small groove on them. According to my trike driver mechanic friend they can be turned and it's just the design, but it won't hurt to look for new rotors, and definitely new brake pads.

4.) What would really be helpful would be a service manual, a large service manual or a .pdf file that I could find that explained more than the small little manual that is stuck in the glove box. Anyone know of a real service manual for a car like this?

5.) I noticed the car is having fan problems, and I know the previous owner had the A/C fixed before selling the car to my father. The fuses that the car uses are pretty big, and are 30, 40, 60, and 80 Amps. Where can I find spare fuses for this car? Half of them are 60's, and given that the fan (inside the cab of the car) has been shutting down intermittently I'm not sure if it's a relay somewhere or if something else is loose. It must be a relay or connection because the fans and A/C and entire console will stop working with exception to the Speedometer and Odometer and stuff.

6.) The car doesn't want to start very well and the starter solenoid is having problems relaying the key ignition to the engine. Yes, the car still starts, but sometimes it takes 50 times switching the key back and forth to get it started.

Obviously, my father bought this car under misrepresented facts. He is a mechanic as well and a "friend of his" sold the car before moving back to the U.S.. In the 60 days that he's owned it, all of these things have occurred with exception to the rotors and brake pads which he already knew needed to be replaced. It's becoming a total nightmare and my father who has a bone disease and doesn't get around all that well.

If anyone here has any idea where I should start with this list of issues I'd be most grateful. I've been using Google to search Opel Astra G Caravan (everything) for the last 2 days and can't find a good answer. I think a good service manual would be impossible to find at this point. As for the other parts, all these:

Thermostat and/or Thermostat Gasket
    Rotors
    Front brake pads
    Inner and outer bearings
    Rear brake shoes
    JB Weld or another sealant
    Extra Fuses
    Starter solenoid

I just need to find a real auto parts store that will be able to replace Opel Astra products - call them, email them, go there, whatever is necessary and start getting these things done.

If any of you think that you'd get the "Filipino price" for all these major parts and could round them up at a part store, and that the difference is much better than the "Foreigner price" for parts, (as it usually is with everything), and if would be willing to help, I'd pay you some of that difference for your assistance.

We work together to get the best deal for me, and in turn, I'll hook you up for your time. Hey, who knows, if I call these places and get the prices and they markup 3,000P to 7,000P total maybe it would be worth your while? You could make 4,000-5,000P easy if you're interested, then go buy an iPod for your Opel - hehe.

Thanks so much for your time guys!

Salamat po!

Justin

you can respond here of course or send an email to itsortalookslike*gmail.com

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    sir

sa thread po ng unofficial opel club look for sir tbonegwapito...he can help you a lot sa parts...meron din po syang pangscan ng opel po natin....mas mabuti rin po na ma scanned mabuti yang opel nyo po.
    also look for sir silvermags.. he knows a lot sa opel po natin

kung makikita nyo po yung manual natin ....astra g estate z16xe engine po tayo....
    pede rin po basa lang po kayo ng mga post po dito sa unofficial opel club ng tsikot at
    pede rin po kayo pa member po sa club opel philippines....http://www.clubopelph.com/forum/
    para po matulungan po kayo sa mga problema ng opel nyo po...
    Last edited by ROAA STUDIO; October 11th, 2010 at 03:25 AM. Reason: dagadag details

3. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Thank you ROAA - I will need to have this translated as my Tagalog is very poor, but I get the idea of what you are saying. I will look for these other members as soon as I understand exactly what your post says.

Thank you again for your response, I appreciate it!

Salamat!

Justin

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatGazoo View Post
    Thank you ROAA - I will need to have this translated as my Tagalog is very poor, but I get the idea of what you are saying. I will look for these other members as soon as I understand exactly what your post says.

Thank you again for your response, I appreciate it!

Salamat!

Justin

sir

you can also look for sir docgorio here at unofficial opel club

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Hi Justin.

Caravan is what the Europeans call a station wagon. Guess you're from the US

1 & 2: if you're facing the car, is the radiator leak on the left side? if yes this is a common problem. some have said its a poor design.

a lot have tried having the radiator repaired either with a pour in like JB weld or pulled down and fixed with epoxy like I had. Sadly the results are always more problems a few months later. Only lasting solution is a new radiator which is around P10k

3. Are the rotors that bad? Maybe new pads and shaving the rotors would be good enough. The rotors I think are around P6k each. Bendix pads are available forgot the price though. I've done 180k KM on my astra and havent needed to replace the bearings yet.

4. The opel club ROAA mentioned have members with a haynes manual. try to join.

5 & 6. There are good aircon shops but the ones I know are too far from you. Again the opel club or a backread on this thread should give you good leads.
    Starters and solenoids are available.

you shouldn't have to fly out for parts since there are stores here. Try to bring your car to Fronte tel 027120919 or Olympia [tbonegwapito's shop] 027165386. They carry parts and have good mechanics.

hth

6. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by manager View Post
    Hi Justin.

Caravan is what the Europeans call a station wagon. Guess you're from the US

1 & 2: if you're facing the car, is the radiator leak on the left side? if yes this is a common problem. some have said its a poor design.

a lot have tried having the radiator repaired either with a pour in like JB weld or pulled down and fixed with epoxy like I had. Sadly the results are always more problems a few months later. Only lasting solution is a new radiator which is around P10k

3. Are the rotors that bad? Maybe new pads and shaving the rotors would be good enough. The rotors I think are around P6k each. Bendix pads are available forgot the price though. I've done 180k KM on my astra and havent needed to replace the bearings yet.

4. The opel club ROAA mentioned have members with a haynes manual. try to join.

5 & 6. There are good aircon shops but the ones I know are too far from you. Again the opel club or a backread on this thread should give you good leads.
    Starters and solenoids are available.

you shouldn't have to fly out for parts since there are stores here. Try to bring your car to Fronte tel 027120919 or Olympia [tbonegwapito's shop] 027165386. They carry parts and have good mechanics.

hth
    Hello Kuya,

Thanks for your response. I did try to join the opel club but it says that a moderator must approve my membership, and so far I haven't received an email for that yet. I did receive a message from tbonegwapito so it looks like I'll be able to put some of these parts together soon (I hope.)

As far as being an American, yes - you guessed correctly : ) Caravan, wagon.......they look the same anyway, haha.

We've temporarily patched the radiator with a fairly strong epoxy, but like you said it probably won't last for long. The thermostat problem will have to be addressed too. Now, if we could find a cheap solenoid for the starter and a couple other things to get the fans in the cab working we would be set. I get the feeling the fans are probably just a loose connection though that we'll have to find in the dash somewhere. Ugh!

The rotors may not need to be changed, but they seem to have an odd groove on the outside. This could just be the way they are manufactured but we haven't seen any other Astra's in this area so we haven't had the chance to reach down there and see.

Perhaps what I find the most odd is that the car only has 80,000 km on it, and yet it is having all these issues.

You guys have been a tremendous help, thank you so much for your time and effort! I'll be around here some more in a few days if anything else pops up.

Salamat & Ingat,

Justin

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hey Great Gazoo!!

Welcome to the unofficial Opel Club!!!

There are several schools of thought in your rad issue. One is an out and out replacement of the rad which will cost you a pretty penny. Another is to bring it to a radiator shop and make them fabricate the top and bottom panels. These are made of thermoplastic material and crack in time. The rad shops will make one for you out of brass. How long will it last?? I have no idea...

I have a 2000 Opel Astra G Caravan just like yours with more than 200K on the clock. I have replaced the items you have mentioned at least once. There are several parts stores in the QC area that can provide you with the needed parts. There's another one in the Greenhills area; he's honest enough to tell you if the part is an original GM, an OEM, or a China replacement. I will send you PM (private mail) for their contact numbers.

The biggest issue of our Opels is that they're not designed to withstand the roads we subject them to. They're ok with autobahns and winding Italian/Croatian roads but not our battlefield-like roads...

Also a caveat on going to SG for parts. Remember they drive on the other side of the road so some parts won't be compatible with ours...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Can you post pics of your Astra? We can tell from the wheels if its 2001 or 02.

SG opel only has parts for the Astra H and newer. Your best source would be ebay Germany.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatGazoo View Post
    Hello po,

I'm brand new here, just registered to do some research and see if I could get some help to my questions without having to bother anyone. First of all, thanks for taking the time to hear me. I'm only going to type a lot so you have an idea of what all the problems are. Any help is very appreciated!

My father purchased an Opel Astra from someone he knew, the paperwork is confusing - it is either a 2001 or 2002 Opel Astra G Caravan. I can't figure out from the inside passenger door or above the radiator what it is either. It's a 4-cylinder automatic, 4 doors with a hatchback - basically looks like a wagon but it is called a caravan.

The car is having several issues for which I have no idea where to begin finding replacement parts. The labor can be done by me, as I've owned German cars my entire life and can probably do everything non-computer related on my own with the help of my father. It won't be FUN, but we will do it. It's just that we cannot find the parts and do not know where to begin finding them. Everyone we've spoken to in Pampanga has absolutely no idea what a real AUTO PARTS store is. Not just simple parts, but real auto parts. Something 10 times better than Ace Hardware.

I've read the following posts just so that you know I've tried finding some answers on my own, all I keep hearing about is Thunder (Thunder something on Quezon Avenue somewhere) as being a good place to go for work - but do they sell parts?:

Page not found – Yehey.com

I'm currently in Pampanga and really (desperately) need to start finding parts for this car. I'm willing to go to Manila of course, I'm almost willing to fly to Singapore or Taiwan if I have to (tickets are only 1000P to 1500P at the moment) and according to the web there are Astra dealerships there. Again, that is the worst case scenario having to go all that way but I won't have any other choice if I can't get to the bottom of this.

Here's a list of the issues:

1.) The radiator has a small hairline crack in it that I discovered tonight, I think the thermostat or the thermostat gasket is faulty and needs to be replaced. Water is not circulating through the engine block all the way, and the reservoir that holds the water has begun spewing water out (just tonight) because the engine is getting way too hot.

2.) Because the radiator has a small hairline crack, does anyone know where to purchase a product called "JB Weld" or another similar product that is strong enough to seal the crack? It's not a big crack, but it is thin and maybe 2-3 inches long. The radiator in the car looks like it's made of hard plastic not metal, so I'm not sure what sealant besides JB Weld would work. I know JB Weld very well, it is an outstanding product I wish I had brought here with me.

3.) The car looks like it needs new rotors, and with that front brakepads, perhaps inner and outer bearings, and rear brake shoes. But the stock rotors may also just be shaped with a small groove on them. According to my trike driver mechanic friend they can be turned and it's just the design, but it won't hurt to look for new rotors, and definitely new brake pads.

4.) What would really be helpful would be a service manual, a large service manual or a .pdf file that I could find that explained more than the small little manual that is stuck in the glove box. Anyone know of a real service manual for a car like this?

5.) I noticed the car is having fan problems, and I know the previous owner had the A/C fixed before selling the car to my father. The fuses that the car uses are pretty big, and are 30, 40, 60, and 80 Amps. Where can I find spare fuses for this car? Half of them are 60's, and given that the fan (inside the cab of the car) has been shutting down intermittently I'm not sure if it's a relay somewhere or if something else is loose. It must be a relay or connection because the fans and A/C and entire console will stop working with exception to the Speedometer and Odometer and stuff.

6.) The car doesn't want to start very well and the starter solenoid is having problems relaying the key ignition to the engine. Yes, the car still starts, but sometimes it takes 50 times switching the key back and forth to get it started.

Obviously, my father bought this car under misrepresented facts. He is a mechanic as well and a "friend of his" sold the car before moving back to the U.S.. In the 60 days that he's owned it, all of these things have occurred with exception to the rotors and brake pads which he already knew needed to be replaced. It's becoming a total nightmare and my father who has a bone disease and doesn't get around all that well.

If anyone here has any idea where I should start with this list of issues I'd be most grateful. I've been using Google to search Opel Astra G Caravan (everything) for the last 2 days and can't find a good answer. I think a good service manual would be impossible to find at this point. As for the other parts, all these:

Thermostat and/or Thermostat Gasket
    Rotors
    Front brake pads
    Inner and outer bearings
    Rear brake shoes
    JB Weld or another sealant
    Extra Fuses
    Starter solenoid

I just need to find a real auto parts store that will be able to replace Opel Astra products - call them, email them, go there, whatever is necessary and start getting these things done.

If any of you think that you'd get the "Filipino price" for all these major parts and could round them up at a part store, and that the difference is much better than the "Foreigner price" for parts, (as it usually is with everything), and if would be willing to help, I'd pay you some of that difference for your assistance.

We work together to get the best deal for me, and in turn, I'll hook you up for your time. Hey, who knows, if I call these places and get the prices and they markup 3,000P to 7,000P total maybe it would be worth your while? You could make 4,000-5,000P easy if you're interested, then go buy an iPod for your Opel - hehe.

Thanks so much for your time guys!

Salamat po!

Justin

you can respond here of course or send an email to itsortalookslike*gmail.com
    Opel Parts Philippines my parts sila at ok sila gumawa...marami nang gumawa ng vectra ko pero gumastos lang ako....sila lang nakagawa ng car ko call liza 09055887341 dati sa bf homes sila ngayon sa cabuyao na...nag home service din sila...