New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    ...You share the road with smoke-belching buses and jeepneys that cut lanes and suddenly stop right in front of you. The roads suck. The traffic sucks even more. And there are times the traffic is so tight that you can't even split lanes to get through. You sit there waiting for an opening while the bus in front of you unloads toxic gases straight into your face. And then it rains. You end up sweaty, wet and smelly, or you can pack a raincoat, so you can simply be sweaty and smelly.
    Riding romanticism aside, this is the reality and its not the least bit amusing.

I logged 15,000km on my 125cc bike going Ortigas from Bocaue and back everyday two years ago, until I get tired of the above. This is not the reality of Manila only. Even in provincial roads the same applies.

For weekend fun, I think it's another story since you can select which locations present more favorable riding conditions like relaxed, back country roads or expressways if you happen to have one of those big bikes.

My suggestion if you have a car, take that as your daily commute not the bike. Best riding condition (for me at least) is to be able to use the expressways which means 400cc and above bikes. For this though, one needs serious dough which I don't have. But just in the interest of discussion, I would take a Harley Sportster 1200 XL custom the one with Evolution Engine (as opposed to any of their twin-cam engines). Heck, if Victory Motorcycle has one dealer in Manila (as Harley has) I'd pick The Judge=)

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

It is not fun to drive/ride a motorbike in the Metro....

If you were one and you've been in an accident because of somebody else's(not any of us) aggressive driving, just like me and my 3 other friends years ago, where a friend almost lost his life (but "funnily" his front teeth), as he wrapped his body around a Meralco post, then you'd say with finality "the hell with 2 wheels"......

18.6K:grin2:

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i am a part time biker. yes, ang hirap mag ride dito sa manila. sangkatutang na underbones, pedestrians, PUVs and bicycles.
    kaya ginagawa ko, weekend na lang.... tagaytay.

di ko lang alam ha? pero napansin ko, pag big bike dala mo, may respeto din sa iyo ang mga motorists... pag 100 - 150cc, bastusan.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Want a bike that's not fast or hardcore enough to get you into trouble but big enough for the highway?

The Kawasaki ER6F is cheaper (slightly), but it looks dangerous (even if it isn't as powerful as more dedicated 600cc sports bikes) and your parents would likely disapprove. The Royal Enfield has that timeless look, it's soft, reasonably safe, and it looks good. Did I say anything about the looks, yet?

-

But... on a student budget, likely you'll only be able to afford a scooter.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jon121 View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm a medical student and I drive a car that's "unofficially" mine (dad owns it but I drive it most of the time). I use it everyday to and from school etc. Lately, I've been fantasizing about riding a motorcycle, not as main transportation, but for weekend rides around Manila. Its more like a toy for me. I like the idea of being free and feeling the thrill of riding and enjoying the link between man and machine.

But, my parents are against it. They said its too risky especially in manila. Of course, as a parent, they wouldn't want me to risk my life or ruin my future of being a doctor. Everyone I've talked to about this are against this idea as well.

Now, I'm torn between my fantasy and the reality of riding in manila. Is it really that dangerous? Am I really going to be stupid if I buy a motorcycle for myself?

As much as riding a motorcycle (or scooter) can be, it is really more dangerous as compared to driving a car. Just last week, one of our employees (who rides an underbone motorcycle) got into an accident. He was fortunate not to have any serious injuries, just cuts and a few bruises but he was sore all over for a few days. His motorcycle wasn't as fortunate as it's front wheel has collapsed from the collision with a car and it's also possible the front fork and frame is already mis-aligned as well.

Based on PNP records, SUNDAYS is the day when most accidents occur. This is due to the lower traffic conditions so people tend to let their attention be lower.

BUT if you want to experience two wheeling for yourself, it is ultimately your own decision. BUT having an accident is not a decision and it really can affect the rest of your life (or worst, cut it short).

6. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jon121 View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm a medical student and I drive a car that's "unofficially" mine (dad owns it but I drive it most of the time). I use it everyday to and from school etc. Lately, I've been fantasizing about riding a motorcycle, not as main transportation, but for weekend rides around Manila. Its more like a toy for me. I like the idea of being free and feeling the thrill of riding and enjoying the link between man and machine.

But, my parents are against it. They said its too risky especially in manila. Of course, as a parent, they wouldn't want me to risk my life or ruin my future of being a doctor. Everyone I've talked to about this are against this idea as well.

Now, I'm torn between my fantasy and the reality of riding in manila. Is it really that dangerous? Am I really going to be stupid if I buy a motorcycle for myself?
    Unless youre gonna be getting a really nice sports bike i dont think its as fun as you think it is. And mukhang malaki investment ng magulang mo sayo. Im a med student myself. Sayang mamatay ng maaga. Hehe. Pabili ka nalang ng bagong tsikot! At least yun may airbag. Wag ka lang mahuhulong sa bangin. Ibang usapan na yun

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Masarap mag motorcycle if you're going to the provinces, pero kung Manila lang, huwag na,

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I've lost a number of friends/acquaintances and relatives due to bike accidents more than car accidents. I used to be a firm believer that you're more likely to get into an accident in a car compared to when you're on a bike. Even if that's true, one seemingly ignored fact is the comparison of the extent of injury and survivability from either accidents. An equivalent fender-bender in a car could very well be life-threatening when on a motorcycle. In that, you'll typically stand a better chance in a car.

I was a biker for 8 years (2001-2008) and had three bikes; Honda Steed VLX 400, SYM Jet 100, and a Motorstar something (a 150cc China bike). I am a regular member at MCP (but no longer nearly as active). Commuting to work on a bike is quick, usually predictable and extremely cheaper compared to taking the car. But then, the dangers and risks are what thwarted me away from two-wheels and just went back to driving a car.

People will debate all they want but the decision is all yours. Now, I'm not one that would discourage people from riding a bike. But if you want my opinion, I'd say Metro Manila is not a biker-friendly place. Not yet anyway.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Puwede naman motor sa Manila. Sa subdvision nga lang hehehe.

Kakatakot kaya makipagsabayan sa mga jeepneys at Bus.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    not in metro manila... where the poor discipline of the motorbike rider is matched only by the poor discipline of the jeepney, bus, and car driver.
    motorbike riders in other countries are also known as "organ donors".. for obvious reasons.
    you're a doctor. where do you want to be, standing beside the table, or being on the table?
    my apologies to the decent bike riders... whicn are, i believe, woefully few.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast