New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Hi guys,

I'm a medical student and I drive a car that's "unofficially" mine (dad owns it but I drive it most of the time). I use it everyday to and from school etc. Lately, I've been fantasizing about riding a motorcycle, not as main transportation, but for weekend rides around Manila. Its more like a toy for me. I like the idea of being free and feeling the thrill of riding and enjoying the link between man and machine.

But, my parents are against it. They said its too risky especially in manila. Of course, as a parent, they wouldn't want me to risk my life or ruin my future of being a doctor. Everyone I've talked to about this are against this idea as well.

Now, I'm torn between my fantasy and the reality of riding in manila. Is it really that dangerous? Am I really going to be stupid if I buy a motorcycle for myself?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jon121 View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm a medical student and I drive a car that's "unofficially" mine (dad owns it but I drive it most of the time). I use it everyday to and from school etc. Lately, I've been fantasizing about riding a motorcycle, not as main transportation, but for weekend rides around Manila. Its more like a toy for me. I like the idea of being free and feeling the thrill of riding and enjoying the link between man and machine.

But, my parents are against it. They said its too risky especially in manila. Of course, as a parent, they wouldn't want me to risk my life or ruin my future of being a doctor. Everyone I've talked to about this are against this idea as well.

Now, I'm torn between my fantasy and the reality of riding in manila. Is it really that dangerous? Am I really going to be stupid if I buy a motorcycle for myself?
    Kung weekends mo lang naman gagamitin, worth it specially if you go places where its fun to drive.. famous dyan ang Marilaque twisties and North Loop of Luzon. But kung pang araw-araw it is indeed risky.

I used to ride during weekends pero since naging busy na sa schedule.. maswerte na yung twice a year.. iba rin talaga feeling ng nakamotor compared sa nagisstroll ka na naka kotse.. you dont feel the nature.. you dont feel the fog of Tagaytay or the sunlight afterwards.
    Last edited by stickers; March 20th, 2013 at 08:08 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Depende anong motor.

Siguro kung tipong Ducati tapos weekend ka lang mageenjoy pwede naman. Delikado lang talaga.

Tsaka ano naman enjoyment magdrive dito sa streets of MM, ang init init

4. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Ako I would like to have a motorcycle just for strolling around our area during free time, or for small groceries, dalaw sa tropapings, etc. Kapag highways, ibang usapan na. Sabi nga sakin ng parents ko nung nagpaalam ako na bibili ng motor for daily use to work, 'Magpapakamatay kaba??'

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    saw your post in mcp and you will get a different answer compared to tsikot. in tsikot, riders are called idiots most of the time. in mcp car drivers are called assholes most of the time and the calling out of names never mind. given your age, you should be mature enough to decide rather than possibly hearing it from somebody who had 15 pesos and surfed the internet and saw your post.

JMHO.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    saw your post in mcp and you will get a different answer compared to tsikot. in tsikot, riders are called idiots most of the time. in mcp car drivers are called assholes most of the time and the calling out of names never mind. given your age, you should be mature enough to decide rather than possibly hearing it from somebody who had 15 pesos and surfed the internet and saw your post.

JMHO.
    This made me laugh

-----

I guess the TS just wants to hear people's opinion on which direction to swing his desicion ...

Weekend rider , why not ?

If i had a choice to buy a bike and a car ill still go for a car not really a rider here .... Do whatever you think is reasonable but if my parents adviced me on a certain issue with passion and id listen to them , im a young parent now and from what i see in how i raise my kid ill never advice her something that not for her own good

My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Wag na. IMO kakainin ka lang ng maling systema at reasoning ng mga riders. Most of them but not all. Kina klaro ko lang ha. Hindi lahat. Besides, kung sa city mo lang din gagamitin, wag nalang.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jon121 View Post
    Not really against motorbiking. I actually enjoy renting a bike every now and then when we go on vacation.

But here's the thing... you are fantasizing about riding around Manila (of all places) for fun.

Driving in Manila is not fun. Riding in Manila is even less fun. On EDSA and the main thoroughfares, you're expected to stick to a motorcycle lane that's laughably crowded with full-sized cars, too far across the road (in some cases) and not clearly defined. You share the road with smoke-belching buses and jeepneys that cut lanes and suddenly stop right in front of you. The roads suck. The traffic sucks even more. And there are times the traffic is so tight that you can't even split lanes to get through. You sit there waiting for an opening while the bus in front of you unloads toxic gases straight into your face. And then it rains. You end up sweaty, wet and smelly, or you can pack a raincoat, so you can simply be sweaty and smelly.

As for safety: Your life, you can gamble with it if you want. As long as you drive properly and don't attempt to overtake at full throttle in bus drivers' blind spots, you should be okay. Most riders who get into accidents get into them by riding dangerously. One of our former administrators died on a motorbike. But that's because he was five-foot-nothing, riding a 1,000cc big bike and was executing a marginally safe overtake on the rolling curves of Tagaytay. He hit an AUV when merging back into lane, fell off and hit a tree. Back when scooters started catching on in the mid-90's, we had scooter-boys at our Emergency Room every night. Almost always due to rider error. Overtaking on the right (running into a parked truck), counterflowing, running into a car merging into traffic because they were counterflowing AND lane-splitting, drag racing, taking a corner too fast and plowing off the road... etcetera.

But if you drive properly and defensively, OBSERVE other road-users so you can stay away from dangerous drivers, and do your best to make yourself visible to other people (don't ride our freaking blind spots... ride out in the middle of the lane WHERE WE CAN SEE YOU), you will be okay. The responsible riders I know have never had any issues. The only responsible rider I know who's gotten into an accident on the road was hit by another road user as he was coming around a corner.

Of course, it was some idiot kid on a scooter who was going too fast and understeering out into the opposite lane.

-

Scootering can be safe and fun... and cheaper than commuting. And yeah, you can have fun going around Manila on Sundays when there's less traffic. As long as it's your money and you have the budget for it, why not? You'll just have to demonstrate to your parents that you can be a responsible rider and can take care of yourself.

Hell, you're only young once. If you want to live a little. Live a little. Just stay alive, ey?
    Last edited by niky; March 21st, 2013 at 12:26 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    pano ba tamang lane ng MC? may mga car driver kasi nagagalit sa MC na nakababad sa harapan nila dahil nasisingitan sila, may mga car driver naman na galit dahil nag fifilter thru ang MC between cars.

gusto ko rin kasing mag MC minsan, kaso parang nakikita ko parang walang malugaran ang MC na you can ride leisurely, pag MC kailangan ba laging singit dito, singit don?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If the car driver behind you is irritated that other cars can get in front of you, then he can just go ahead and overtake you. As long as you're following traffic rules and not impeding traffic by riding on the left to prevent people from overtaking you, the guy behind you cannot dictate to you how fast you should go.

I can accept lane-splitting in slow traffic, as it allows MCs to filter through. But when traffic is flowing, lane-splitting is potentially dangerous. We literally cannot see you guys out there. The coverage of side mirrors for most cars has a blind spot that prevents you from seeing motorcycles slightly off to the side, and motorcycles often don't trigger the reflex built into in our peripheral vision that detects moving objects. They're too narrow. In fact, the small size of a motorcycle means that even if you are looking in the general direction of the motorbike, you sometimes cannot see it. Most drivers concentrate on looking at other cars or trucks as first priority. Motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians are not prioritized.

I always allow motorcycles through in traffic, whatever the speed. Safer that they get by easily than resort to a borderline overtake. But it's often difficult when MC riders overtake on the shoulder, or lane-split, or both, at the same time.

Be safe, signal your intention to pass, give the cager ample time to see you, then do it quickly and neatly (no cutting back in suddenly). ;)
    Last edited by niky; March 21st, 2013 at 02:23 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast