New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    What exactly is your definition of a pinoy Bike? For me it is a bike that is designed from the ground up. Component per component, bolt per bolt and even down to the metallurgy. What we claim as pinoy bikes are actually copies of of another copy. We get chinese components from chinese bikes and assemble them here, add local content (tires, battery, upholstery, graphics and cheap labor) and presto, you have a completely different looking bike but is a copy just the same. I would be prouder if the bike were designed by pinoys from scratch which would mean the components are all new and not "interchangeable" with other brands. We have the talent to do this, It is just not being harnessed correctly.
    Your pinoy bikes are actually chinese bikes fitted with a newly designed plastic component or just even graphics ( stickers ) but the frame and engine are still copies.
    Let us build our own pinoy bike, but let it be one we can truly call our own.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dongramos View Post
    What exactly is your definition of a pinoy Bike? For me it is a bike that is designed from the ground up. Component per component, bolt per bolt and even down to the metallurgy. What we claim as pinoy bikes are actually copies of of another copy. We get chinese components from chinese bikes and assemble them here, add local content (tires, battery, upholstery, graphics and cheap labor) and presto, you have a completely different looking bike but is a copy just the same. I would be prouder if the bike were designed by pinoys from scratch which would mean the components are all new and not "interchangeable" with other brands. We have the talent to do this, It is just not being harnessed correctly.
    Your pinoy bikes are actually chinese bikes fitted with a newly designed plastic component or just even graphics ( stickers ) but the frame and engine are still copies.
    Instead of reposting what I have said... maybe I should just post a link to the PHUV thread since the problems of design/production is the same.

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61858

But for a summary, the problem is getting the technology to manufacture/produce the critical components like the engine and control electronics.

The next problem is to do that at a price that will be competitive in the market.

This is not a simple matter of: "if you build it, they will come".
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 3rd, 2009 at 11:54 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Perhaps that time will surely come. Maybe with with Blaze and MCX bikes..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Technically, even motorcycle engines can be made locally since they are basically made out of aluminum and/or magnesium diecast parts for which there are several plants in the Philippines. Some of them even utilize robots to remove the parts from the diecasting machine to increase productivity. The main factor that probably makes a locally made engine more prohibitive if it were Pinoy made is that we still have to buy the aluminum ingots from abroad which jacks up the price of the end product in the form of shipping costs and import duties as opposed to China and our other Asian neighbors who have their own Aluminum Smelters. And another factor of course is the economies of scale which heavily favors countries with much bigger domestic markets. But the latter factor can still be overcome by exporting to other countries to artificially attain better economies of scale. Something that our Asian neighbors have figured out a long time ago hence their export-led development strategy that started since the 50's.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by TambayBlues View Post
    Technically, even motorcycle engines can be made locally since they are basically made out of aluminum and/or magnesium diecast parts for which there are several plants in the Philippines. Some of them even utilize robots to remove the parts from the diecasting machine to increase productivity. The main factor that probably makes a locally made engine more prohibitive if it were Pinoy made is that we still have to buy the aluminum ingots from abroad
    which jacks up the price of the end product in the form of shipping costs and import duties as opposed to China and our other Asian neighbors who have their own Aluminum Smelters. And another factor of course is the economies of scale which heavily favors countries with much bigger domestic markets.
    Actually, the main problem is simply the last reason you mentioned. The Philippines is simply too small a market and then add the existing other brands which have already been established as the preferred brand(s) by the motoring public.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    sorry, wrong concept.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Do they also make big bikes or just those moped types that I often see cluttering the streets of Manila?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cktlcmd View Post
    Do they also make big bikes or just those moped types that I often see cluttering the streets of Manila?
    They will make (if thats what you want to call it) only bikes limited to what China is making. If a big bike above 800cc will be available in alibaba.com - rest assure - they will also have it; eventually.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ehnriko View Post
    They will make (if thats what you want to call it) only bikes limited to what China is making. If a big bike above 800cc will be available in alibaba.com - rest assure - they will also have it; eventually.

I hope Blaze and MCX, these local bikes are doing well.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    this is a very nice and interested web site so i like to visit this impressive web site which is one of the best, because there are lot of site which promoting the Motorcycle sell and buy cases so this is one of the best site.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
BLAZE: The First PINOY Motorcycle Brand?