New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Last edited by ghosthunter; June 11th, 2010 at 01:56 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Last edited by ghosthunter; June 11th, 2010 at 11:48 AM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hmmmmm......

Is this regarding our conversation a few weeks ago...

I think I can get the shell, maybe the motor, and perhaps the batteries... but the build isn't up to the part that I can't figure out yet... the controller.

Do I go all golf cart and run sans charge-controller, or do I still need it?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    (left to right) pot-box is like throttle, motor controller gives the right current to the motor based on throttle input, and the contactor is just a big relay (power switch to the high voltage circuit)

the small relay gives power to a special terminal on the controller that turns it on

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Hmmmmm......

Is this regarding our conversation a few weeks ago...
    Well, partly... but I didn't go out of my way to find an ev-beetle conversion just to prove my point that an old beetle would be a good start for an EV project. I just stumbled on it while I was checking on another topic of interest.

I think I can get the shell, maybe the motor, and perhaps the batteries... but the build isn't up to the part that I can't figure out yet... the controller.

Do I go all golf cart and run sans charge-controller, or do I still need it?
    Well, you can run the car with the throttle like a light switch, either full on or off. It would be interesting trying to park it in your driveway.

So yes, you'll need a motor-controller to moderate the amount of power from the battery to the motor to have some sort of speed control over it.

As for recharging, its mentioned that a proper battery charger will give the battery pack longer life since it won't experience over-charging.

BTW, golf cart motors are too weak. You'll want something stronger.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; June 11th, 2010 at 12:47 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    And I'll definitely want a better charging strategy than golf-cart style "open-everything-up-and-plug-in"... or I'll be suffering the same issues as the electric bus operators at SM MOA suffered before they converted to gas.

-

Hmmm... controller packages from the US cost quite a bit... but just maybe I can get it cheaper if I have someone hand-carry the stuff down here...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    And I'll definitely want a better charging strategy than golf-cart style "open-everything-up-and-plug-in"... or I'll be suffering the same issues as the electric bus operators at SM MOA suffered before they converted to gas.

-

Hmmm... controller packages from the US cost quite a bit... but just maybe I can get it cheaper if I have someone hand-carry the stuff down here...
    Hi, I am also interested in doing EV conversions and I agree the prices are too expensive. If we do it as a group then we can lower the cost through bulk purchase and economies of scale. I am thinking of starting an EV club.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    XR3 DIY three-wheeled hybrid.

http://www.rqriley.com/xr3.htm

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Hi, I am also interested in doing EV conversions and I agree the prices are too expensive. If we do it as a group then we can lower the cost through bulk purchase and economies of scale. I am thinking of starting an EV club.
    o ayan, EV club daw

electric car advocates put your money where your advocacy is -- MONEY DOWN

buy electric motors and batteries to build your EVs

anybody?

come on open your wallets... don't be shy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Diy electric car