New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [SIZE=3]When there is a criminal case filed versus a Catholic priests ... what happens?

Example would be a rape case against a priest. Does he go through the normal justice system or does the Catholic Church handle "their own"?
    [/SIZE]

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JRkgseRT7NY/TAQJak7vLvI/AAAAAAAACCY/tTaFk5WHzQQ/s1600/catholic+church+priest+***ual+abuse+scandal+cartoo n+vatican+action+pinata+blind+leading+blind+hypocr isy.gif[/img]

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    The priests protect their own.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dang, in that case, priests can (figuratively) get away with murder...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Err...priests are subject to the same rules of criminal procedure.

Meaning, when a complaint is filed, it is raffled to a prosecutor who subjects the respondent to preliminary investigation. The respondent/priest is allowed to file his counter-affidavit and adduce evidence in his behalf. If the prosecutor finds probable cause after considering the evidence and statements of the parties and their witnesses, he recommends the filing of the information in court as well as the amount of bail. The court then issues a warrant of arrest.

I think this should be distinguished from the defrocking of a priest who is guilty of a criminal offense. From what I know, it's not automatic.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    Err...priests are subject to the same rules of criminal procedure.

Meaning, when a complaint is filed, it is raffled to a prosecutor who subjects the respondent to preliminary investigation. The respondent/priest is allowed to file his counter-affidavit and adduce evidence in his behalf. If the prosecutor finds probable cause after
    considering the evidence and statements of the parties and their witnesses, he recommends the filing of the information in court as well as the amount of bail. The court then issues a warrant of arrest.

I think this should be distinguished from the defrocking of a priest who is guilty of a criminal offense. From what I know, it's not automatic.
    Thanks bossing for the legal advice.. In addition, if proven guilty, a priest can be removed from his position as priest member of the catholic church. Peace=)

Criminal case vs Catholic priests ... what happens?