New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    With the recent Typhoon Yolanda, Bohol earthquake, and Zamboanga siege, are any of you here doing some SHTF preps?

For those uninitiated, SHTF (S**t Hits The Fan) situation is an end of the world scenario where food and water will be scarce, no electricity and communications are down. There will be no law or order on ground and people will have to take care of their own needs.

The SHTF situation is very similar to those who experienced the aftermath of Yolanda in Tacloban.

So how do you prepare for this scenario? Food/water? Shelter? Security? Bug out vehicle?

Me I have a bug out bag which has basic contents such as a change of clothes and a bladder for water. I also have an everyday carry in a small portable bag containing a multi-tool, flash light, lighter, and flint. Just the basics. I have been investing also on radio communications to be used in vehicle and at the house.

This is still a work in progress so please chime in if you are one of those preppers also

remzam

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I used to watch the show Doomsday preppers. Some made sense but some were bordering cuckoo.

Some Americans have too much money and idle time to prepare for their idea of how doomsday will happen. I like those families that aim for self sufficiency. There was an episode I saw where the family was planting their own vegetable and fruits, raising livestock, and they also built a water filtration type of system. Yung cuckoo episode naman a guy built a filtration so you can drink your urine

We don't have any SHTF preps but we're always stocked up on food, more than enough to last 2 months. We have an overhead tank that would last about a week siguro in case water supply is cut. Sacks of coal for cooking too.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    After most severe typhoons, daming mga nasa hardware shops. Bili ng mga gallons, flashlights, emergency lights, lanterns, household tools, ice chests, tents, pati air bed kagaya sa mga home shopping silbing life raft in case of heavy flooding. It pays to be ready nga din naman, especially after what we saw in Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda. Some of what looked like extreme prepping before suddenly looked practical and life saving after that.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Naalala ko yung dad dun sa Blast from the Past.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The most useful skill from the Doomsday Preppers show that I've seen (besides your typical food growing, shooting and etcetera) is food preservation.

Preserve and bottle your own food. Do it right and cooked food will last months. If you have a homemaker in the family with enough time on their hands, or if you can dedicate your weekends to it, this will also pay off with product you can sell (even without the doomsday scenario) or trade for other supplies.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    I used to watch the show Doomsday preppers. Some made sense but some were bordering cuckoo.

Some Americans have too much money and idle time to prepare for their idea of how doomsday will happen. I like those families that aim for self sufficiency. There was an episode I saw where the family was planting their own vegetable and fruits, raising livestock, and they also built a water filtration type of system. Yung cuckoo episode naman a guy built a filtration so you can drink your urine

We don't have any SHTF preps but we're always stocked up on food, more than enough to last 2 months. We have an overhead tank that would last about a week siguro in case water supply is cut. Sacks of coal for cooking too.
    Haha you are right Miss Cathy! Lots of weird people doing weird preps in Doomsday Preppers. But many are also practical stuff like living off the grid and being self reliant. I often wonder what will happen if SHTF in Manila. We've had close calls like typhoons and habagats and I remember even one time when the government shut off comms/ cell signals during the Nazareno parade in Manila and everyone was caught by surprise.

Amazing how we take things for granted and become helpless when they are taken away or lost. Especially now that most of us are technology reliant.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    One thing about prepping, you should have to be armed one way or another. Having a weapon that you can use to defense yourself will be essential when the SHTF. Those who have resources like food and water will become likely targets by the hundreds of people who do not have any food and/or water. Desperate people will do anything to get their hands on your stocks. We have seen what happened in the Yolanda hit areas and the difference where a store was left unguarded and where a single person with a simple handgun defending an establishment.

So the question to the local preppers in this thread... do you have weapons (guns, etc) included in your prepping list?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by remzam View Post
    Haha you are right Miss Cathy! Lots of weird people doing weird preps in Doomsday Preppers. But many are also practical stuff like living off the grid and being self reliant. I often wonder what will happen if SHTF in Manila. We've had close calls like typhoons and habagats and I remember even one time when the government shut off comms/ cell signals during the Nazareno parade in Manila and everyone was caught by surprise.

Amazing how we take things for granted and become helpless when they are taken away or lost. Especially now that most of us are technology reliant.
    Recent natural disasters also made me think that we should invest in a good coverage for home insurance.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    Recent natural disasters also made me think that we should invest in a good coverage for home insurance.
    Before it was only "Acts of God" in vehicle insurance. Now, I think you are correct that we also have to consider home insurance.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast