New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Mga Kababayan,

I need help!!! I have a 2000 MBZ E320 that I want to ship to the Philippines. I am a returning resident and I know that I have tax exemptions (correct me if I am wrong). One more thing that concerns me, eh yung hirap na mailabas ang kotse sa Customs kahit na completo ang papeles and all the charges and fees are paid.

And also, would I have a problem registering the car sa LTO? Please shed some light. Please advise if you have more tips on how to smoothly do this process.

Thanks in advance,
    Jobe

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I would suggest thru Cagayan. Customs duties/taxes should not be a problem.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    So, even though all the papers are legal I still would haveto go thru Cagayan??? So if I got the car in Cagayan, would I be able to register it in any other LTO in Metro Manila?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JOBIN731 View Post
    So, even though all the papers are legal I still would haveto go thru Cagayan??? So if I got the car in Cagayan, would I be able to register it in any other LTO in Metro Manila?
    From my knowledge, no car leaves Cagayan unregistered. Ergo, it'll sport a "B" plate.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    I am in the same boat Jobe.
    I've asked around & its gonna be a pain in the ass to bring a car home as a returning resident. Unless you are really willing to go through the hassle. And it only means you really love the car.
    First, to get that tax exemption you have to apply to Bureau of Finance for the tax excemption. To do this you'll need: 1) proof you are a returning resident & you were out for more than 5 years 2) ownership of the car - registration, receipts etc 3) after submitting all this you'll have to have the approval of the Secretary of Finance.
    Second, have the car registered with LTO before it leaves port of entry. LTO will require the tax excemption form.
    Viola! The car is home in the Phils.
    Looks easy. But its not.
    You know what you can do, forget about the tax excempt, go through a broker/importer. Just pay the taxes.
    As mentioned by Benzmizer, yes, Cagayan (Port Irene) is the easiest way at the moment.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Kung ako lang, mas madali pa siguro to just sell the car in the US and then buy a similar car here.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Hindi totoong "tax excempt" ang mga sasakyan ng returning Filipinos. Ang totoo ay tax excempt ang ating household effects, pero hindi ang motor vehicle. Subject pa rin sa import tax and anumang privately owned conveyance.

Retired US military ako na umuwi dito sa Pilipinas at isa yan sa mga na-realize ko nung nandito ako kaya di ko na itinuloy. Balak ko din sanang mag-uwi ng MB at E320 din, automatic transmission at ang kinis nanghihinayang ako. Pero ang taxes e almost 100% ng fair market value, ang sakit sa bulsa. Yung kasama ko nag-uwi ng Corvette, almost $18K ang binayaran niyang taxes, pero okay lang sa kanya. Ako nun e $11K ang sinisingil sa kin, pero sabi ko benta ko na lang at dito na ko bibili sa Pinas. Nung nandito ako, di ko nagustuhan ang quality ng mga MB dito, makinis sa labas pero bulok ang makina (sorry folks, IMO lang yon at di naman siguro lahat kasi mga lima lang naman ang tinignan ko).

Kaya eto nag-end up ako sa Kia Carens kasi nung nag-test drive ako e pareho ng feel ng MB ang Carens, mabigat ang feel, stable, at matulin - wala kang marinig na body noise, etc.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    +1 on sirs ronw123w124 & j.ching. Just sell the car abroad & buy in the Phils.

+1 sir j.ching on the Kia Carens. Nice car. I've seen it in Europe. Good reviews over there.

How to ship a 2000 MBZ E320 to the Philippines?