New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    I'm always fascinated with Euro cars. For MB's, I always loved the 190E.
    If you were to choose for a daily driver, what would you suggest? 190E, 230E or 260E? Would like to purchase a 2nd car which I coul drive daily like bringing kids to school. What troubles me though is that a lot of people keep telling me that maintaining an old MB car would be difficult and magastos daw. Mahirap ba talaga maintain ang MB? Gusto ko sana 260E. Kumusta fuel consumption ng 190E, 230E or 260E? Since these are old cars, kumusta pyesa? di ba sirain and lagi ako paayos. Can you compare the 3 models and which would you prefer? Will these cars be also good for long distance driving without worries? Madali ba makahanaop ng good conditioned car if ever? Need your inputs.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by raquino View Post
    If you were to choose for a daily driver, what would you suggest? 190E, 230E or 260E? Would like to purchase a 2nd car which I coul drive daily like bringing kids to school. What troubles me though is that a lot of people keep telling me that maintaining an old MB car would be difficult and magastos daw. Mahirap ba talaga maintain ang MB? Gusto ko sana 260E. Kumusta fuel consumption ng 190E, 230E or 260E? Since these are old cars, kumusta pyesa? di ba sirain and lagi ako paayos. Can you compare the 3 models and which would you prefer? Will these cars be also good for long distance driving without worries? Madali ba makahanaop ng good conditioned car if ever? Need your inputs.
    The 190e wins in terms of maneuverability. being a C-Class, it's smaller in size vs. the 124 (E-Class). Quite ideal -- specially when used mostly in the Metro.

In terms of interior space comfort, the 124 wins over the 201 (190e). The kids would surely enjoy the space it provides when they go to school.

Maintenance parts for these MB models are available. They may be a little more expensive than Japanese parts you may be accustomed to buying BUT is proven to last longer. Ergo, when you fix an MB, make sure you use it (and not sell it right after the fix).

It is a known fact that any car (any brand) with age would require more maintenance/TLC. This does not single out MB models. One way you could reduce the risk of getting a "problematic" MB is by acquiring one from which you know the level of maintenance the current owner gives it. Makes sure to bring a reputable/trusted mechanic knowledgeable on MB cars when you see a unit.

Personally, I would go for a 124 260e. It has the space and power to weight ratio is ideal.

Hope this helps and Good luck!

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    The 190e wins in terms of maneuverability. being a C-Class, it's smaller in size vs. the 124 (E-Class). Quite ideal -- specially when used mostly in the Metro.

In terms of interior space comfort, the 124 wins over the 201 (190e). The kids would surely enjoy the space it provides when they go to school.

Maintenance parts for these MB models are available. They may be a little more expensive than Japanese parts you may be accustomed to buying BUT is proven to last longer. Ergo, when you fix an MB, make sure you use it (and not sell it right after the fix).

It is a known fact that any car (any brand) with age would require more maintenance/TLC. This does not single out MB models. One way you could reduce the risk of getting a "problematic" MB is by acquiring one from which you know the level of maintenance the current owner gives it. Makes sure to bring a reputable/trusted mechanic knowledgeable on MB cars when you see a unit.

Personally, I would go for a 124 260e. It has the space and power to weight ratio is ideal.

Hope this helps and Good luck!
    + 1 on the 260E

Fuel consumption among the three variants is a close fight ....

So don't assume that if its a 4 banger ... it will consume less fuel than the 6 inline ... in some occasions ... the sixer can be more economical ...

Good luck on your first MB.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Welcome to the world of MB's, all your choices seem to be good candidates for a daily driver, one word of advice I can give is wag kang papadala sa mga sabi-sabi na mahirap mag-maintain ng MB, assuming you're able to buy a well maintained unit then you will only need to look after it very well (religiously following your PMS schedule). Between your choices, ang bibilhin ko eh kung ano yung pinakamagandang condition na pasok sa budget ko. If fuel consumption is one of your priorities then I would suggest a diesel MB. I myself drive a w123 300D on a daily basis.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    .....wag kang papadala sa mga sabi-sabi na mahirap mag-maintain ng MB, assuming you're able to buy a well maintained unit then you will only need to look after it very well.....
    +1 to this too. Believe me when I say, "There is no such thing as a PERFECT vehicle.".... not even brand new ones are spared from this fact.

Hope you get yourself an MB soon..... and join the club!

6. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Thank you so much for the replies. Am really looking forward to get one basta pumayag si kumander. hahaha always the case when talking about gastos, lalo na ngayon that we're in the process of building a house. Will be scouting for one soon pag uwi ko. I may need your help when choosing one. 124 ang gusto ko kasi it looks more comfortable and bigger though nasa isip ko pa rin ang 190E. Is it true that it's easier to find a well maitained 260 than a 190?
    What is the going rate for both cars?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The 190E is a PERFECT city car. Small, very maneuverable, light and has great handling. On the highway, it can get a little bit too tight, meaning it's a bit fidgety because it's a light chassis and the suspension is geared to performance (remember, the 190E had pedigree with the 2.3-16v and 2.5-16v). They are VERY good cars to own, a little bit temperamental if you do not know what you are doing, but can get very lovable once you know what makes it happy.

The 260E has the same engine as a 190E 2.6, but as mentioned above is in a larger chassis. Fuel efficiency is not as good as the 190E due to the larger chassis (more weight to lug around) but if you do a lot of highway driving, the 260E is more comfortable on the highway than the 190E. Both cars have legendary MB maneuverability. The 260E's larger chassis does not exempt it from being good in tight spaces.

However, the 260E is a base model W124. Not many amenities, if that's what you're looking for. That makes it more reliable, because there are less items to break down.

With regards to the 230E, which chassis did you want to look at? W123 and W124 both had 230E variants. W123 is the chassis before the W124, different suspension setup and altogether a different car. If you compare the W123 and W124, you can see MB used the existing W123 design and made it more modern and more ergonomic in the W124.

If you want a W124 (seems like you do), get the diesel. Matipid, has the looks of the W124, and if you get lucky you can get the turbo diesel model (very powerful engine for a car of its vintage and size). Sarap ihataw sa highway, matipid around town. Simpler engine to tune than comparable gasoline model din siya. Meron din 300D 2.5 (or 250D), which is one cylinder less (300D has 6 cylinders, 300D 2.5 or 250D had 5).

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Agree ..... a diesel Merc ...... the best of both worlds ... luxury and practicality ...

Lahat kami na sumagot dito sa thread mo drive a diesel MB as well ....

Yung akin ang pinaka-base model .. W123-200D manual everything ...

9. Join Date
    May 2004
    I like them all but I prefer the smaller 190e , I drive the 2.0L carburetted version and it's very reliable

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Thank you so much for the replies. Am really looking forward to get one basta pumayag si kumander. hahaha always the case when talking about gastos, lalo na ngayon that we're in the process of building a house. Will be scouting for one soon pag uwi ko. I may need your help when choosing one. 124 ang gusto ko kasi it looks more comfortable and bigger though nasa isip ko pa rin ang 190E. Is it true that it's easier to find a well maitained 260 than a 190?
    What is the going rate for both cars?
    wala kang tulak-kabigin both sa w124 or w201, both are superb machines. i drive a w201 manual, 2.0, fuel injected and nothing makes me more happier than cruising with her, city or out of town. mas matipid pa nga sya relatively than my gli corolla. ang pintas ko lang sa 190e, maliit talaga ang leg room sa likod but it has never bothered me since ako lang naman lagi karga nya the wife and the kids... dun sila sa suv, kahit magpagulung-gulong pa sila sa loob

madali lang bihisan ang benz, the 190e in my case. di na kailangan ng maraming burloloy. salpakan mo lang ng 17" amg monobloc/lorinzer wheels with 40 series tires, semi-lowered and peel off the tints then itabi mo sa mga latest civics and rollas tingnan mo kung sino pa ang mas head turner iba pa rin ang tindig ng benz kahit pa 2 decades old na sya. a benz is a benz, period pag nakaluwag-luwag, i'll be hunting for a w124 turbo diesel wagon. yan ang dream family car ko.

good luck sir and happy hunting.
    Last edited by xoom; April 15th, 2010 at 07:23 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
190E or 230E or 260E