New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Marami akong nakikitang kotse na baliktad ang pagkaka-mount ng unidirectional tires. Some were even high-end cars with low-profile tires. Di ko maintindihan kung paano nangyayari yun. If the owners were willing to invest time and money on aftermarket tires, couldn't they at least make sure na tama yung direction nung gulong. Malinaw naman sa sidewall yung "rotation" with an arrow. And how about the shops that mount these tires? Di ba dapat alam nila yun? The purpose of the groove pattern is to facilitate evacuation of water and avoid hydroplaning. Conversely, kung baligtad yung direction nung ikot, wouldn't that encourage pooling of water between the tire and the road surface during wet conditions? Di ba delikado yun?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    delikads yan. less traction yan afaik.

it's like you're running on reverse lagi...

3. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    running a unidirectional tire in reverse isn't as unsafe as you think. granted that following the recommended rotation reduces chance of hydroplaning, running them in reverse doesn't enhance hydroplaning. water is still evacuated through the thread pattern.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mas mabilis lang mapudpod ang tires kung mali ang direction ng rotation.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    the only downside of using a unidirectional tire in reverse is slightly higher tire noise and less water evacuation capabilities compared to one that's used in the correct direction. thread wear isn't also affected by rotational direction. since the rubber compound doesn't change when it's run in reverse.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    how about yung thread pattern? doesn't that contribute to the proper water drainage?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    regardless of the thread direction, water evacuation will occur since there are grooves on the tire's surface. under wet conditions, a unidirectional tire that used in reverse will have a slightly lower hydroplaning point (speed) compared to one that is used in the correct direction. unidirectional tires allow for higher traveling speeds under wet conditions but it doesn't mean that they won't hydroplane. they still do but at a much higher speed compared to that of ordinary thread designs.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    In rotating unidirectional tires, just remount them, flipping them over and putting them at the opposite side of the car to maintain the correct pattern.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it just wont perform the its intended function.

From Yokohama Tire company
    Designed to rotate in only one direction, unidirectional tires enhance straight-line acceleration by reducing rolling resistance. The also provide shorter stopping distance. Unidirectional tires must be dedicated to a specific side of the vehicle.
    its not the question of "will it disperse water?" but rather HOW much water is dispersed or effective will it perform when not mounted properly on its specific side.

I guess the bottomline is HOW BIG is the chance of hydroplaning when mouted incorrectly. It was designed for a reason.

Yes I can wear my shirt inside-out, but was it designed to wear that way? NO. but does it serve the purpose covering my naked body? YES. But is it the 'proper way' to wear them? NO. But why would you wear a shirt inside-out? Because I can and I dont know better. :2hearts:

nakikita ko din dito yan, A4 na baliktad ang tread pattern. May nakita pa nga akong 7-series na nasa may lip ng rim ang wheel weight blocks :evillaugh

if you dont know the purpose of unidirectional, you may not want to buy/use it because it negates the absolute purpose of such feature.

sabi ni silverbx986 yan, palibhasa naka Porshe kaya pinaniwalaan ko, nyashshahasa

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    diba ginagawa talaga yun sa wheel rotation? baliktad yung wheel pattern para pantay ang pudpod ng gulong? afaik yung direction pointed by the arrow muna kapag bago. tapos after a certain km reading, kapag wheel rotation time na, babaliktarin na para pantay pudpod.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Unidirectional tires