New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    landlord, the most convenient place where you can have pinikpikan is at ebay's beside centennial bank between the victory liner terminal and sm city. it is near the vicinity where tuno-tuno is.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Meron ding pinikpikan sa Cafe by the Ruins near City Hall if you prefer the artsy ambiance. It comes with a slice of etag tapos may tonsoy.

For those who want to sample dog meat without venturing to Marcos highway or La Trinidad for the Comiles stuff, you can get it at Luisa's along Session Road. Don't expect to find dog meat on the menu, it's listed as Sam Lok - native or Chinese style. Native is the traditional ginisa with onion leeks, Chinese is with soup and watercress (tonsoy), great anyway you have it. Don't ask me why its listed as sam lok, haven't ask about it yet.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by salonika
    Apdo?? HIndi yan ang tunay na papaitan. Iba talaga ang papaitan pag merong pinigang masticated grass. Saka di pa ebs yun.

Ang baka at kambing ay tinatawag na ruminants, maraming compartment ang tiyan. Yung ginagamit sa papaitan nasa isang compartment na malayo pa sa stage na pagiging ebs, di pa digested yun.
    Ay sus... pespes ti awag da dayta ket dyay taga ilocos nga relative ko ket piniga na lang saka ininum idi nabutchakan ti kabarbaro nga poor nga kalding...hehehe. Tapos sabi nya nag sam-iten uliteg.
    dyiay apro met inlaok na lang iti arak... nasamsam-it kano ti raman na.

Kunak ket mangibati ka met ah ti para pinapaitan... saka natauhan. Hinayang talaga kung wala nun sa kambing.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I made a 4-day business trip to Laoag and Vigan last week and wohhh, think my cholesterol abd uric acid levels shoot up catching up with all the food I missed.

We started off healthy, with Lunch at Matutina's Urdaneta - inihaw na bangus with laman loob plus pakbet, yum yum. My friend opted for the inihaw na boneless (he does not know what he's missing). Arriving at Laoag near dinner time, we decided not to go far and ate at the retaurant below Tiffany's Hotel. The pakbet was OK but their bagnet tasted like lechon kawali. Their igado was fake - it had peas in it and did not tasted more like menudo.

Breakfast at the Hotel (Isabel Suites) was Laoag Langoniza and lunch was at Dawang's. Too bad the crispy dinardaran was gone but we filled up on tinuno, papaitan (paksiw), igado and papaluyen... sooo heavenly. My friend, the bufoon that he is, ate only the tinuno, as it is with no sukang iloko and skipped the liver...crazy guy. We had miki and empanada for snacks at Batac, so filling. My sweat was dripping because of the weather and the food. Dinner was conventional Max's since we had a seminar there so there was nothing regional to eat.

Next day was the usual laoag langoniza for breakfast before proceeding to Vigan, had lunch at Cafe Leona - bagnet with KBL (extra order pa), Vigan Morcon, pakbet (again) and siningang na malaga. Everything except the morcon, which tasted like liver spread was great, so was the price. We had the empanada and okoy for snacks, too bad we could not go to Insiang's at Salcedo because of the rain. We went to Cely's (near UNP) in the afternoon so we could buy our fill of Vigan Langoniza. I had to look for this place because it where the City Mayor bought the langoniza he gave to a friend of mine for pasalubong. Arriving there, I learned that it is also where Chavit buys whenever he gives to friends, great. For a late dinner, we went to Cafe Uno (lot's of Cafe's in Vigan) for sinanglaw, insarabasab, poqui-poqui, igado (again), and bagnet (again). Well, the food was passable but I prefer the street or carinderia versions of these dishes anytime. Too bad it was nearly 10 pm so we really had no choice.

Next day was to the market to buy some bagnet before proceeding with the long drive to Manila, a stopover again at Matutina's before arriving to reality. My DMax was sooooo cool during the drive, cracks on the road caused by the recent rains practically unfelt. Mileage ranged 13-14 kms/liter of biodiesel owing to the crazy speeds we were reaching. I had to race with other vehicles to keep from being bored during the long drive.

And my friend? He only ate bagnet in Vigan, really crazy guy.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ^^^ nice trip sir (long drive and foodtrip) permi ti bussog yo

m happy for your friend.....

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    aysus grabe met gayam ti inaramid mo nga food trip gayyem salonika... just recount my friend statement when he was saying this "kaya ako nag-abroad para makakain ng gusto ko, pero nuong tumanda at nagkapera na hindi ko pa rin makain dahil sa high cholesterol, high blood pressure, uric acid, etc etc". just enjoy our native dish but in moderation... padasek to man met dayta Ester resto, kaarrubak laeng gayam ditoy Trancoville.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Mayat kada Aling Ester. Adda pay ti bull balls da naigisa iti onion leeks ken kalamansi... superrrr.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Was in baguio again and was able to try the samlok chinese style at luisa's. It was very good. Also the pinikpikan at ebay's. Tnx to you guys.

Where is matutinas in urdaneta? Is it along the highway? easy to find? Highly recommended ba? Any other good restos between Pampanga, Tarlac and Manaoag that you can recommend? sawa na kasi ako sa Vilmar. Thanks again.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Landlord, it's good you were able to try the samlok and pinikpikan within the comfort of Session Rd., Proves that you don't have to venture far to taste authentic exotic food.

Matutina's is along the national highway in Urdaneta. It's on your right when you're headed north, I think it's still in Bgy. Nancayasan, before you reach the commercial cluster. If you plan to stop by I suggest you do so early enough as it quickly fills with patrons during mealtimes. And they only grill the bangus upon order so that means you have to wait for some time if there is a long line ahead of you. Remember, everyone orders bangus.

Try May farm along national highway in Bamban, Tarlac (on your right headed north). They also cook mean versions of papaitan (goat and beef) along with other dishes such as beef kebab, hunter's delight, sauteed baguio beans (I always order this dish), etc. There was a time when they served deer, sawa and baboy damo but scrapped this in favor of the environment. Great service and shaded parking.

You can also try Isdaan at Gerona, you can't miss it along the highway. Food is just OK but you get to eat on huts floating on a fishpond.

Vilmar? It used to be OK in the 80's, I also used to eat there. It's been a long time since my last meal though. Don't find the food appetizing anymore.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by landlord
    Where is matutinas in urdaneta? Is it along the highway? easy to find? Highly recommended ba?
    Just tried Matutina's yesterday on our way back to Baguio, will rate 8 out of 10.

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
The Ilokano Food Thread