New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkwer View Post
    Guys, what are good reasons why I will choose Alterra over the new VTG-Monty?
    The Alterra has proven itself over time to be dependable, reliable and efficient.

The new Monty, although very attractive with it's bells and whistles, is unproven.

The Alterra is much, much, more roomy inside. Just sit in the back seat!

The Monty is very cramped- but, OK, if you and all your passengers are "small".

The Monty has a higher center of gravity and more prone to tipping over during emergency or evasive manuvers.

I could go on and on, really.

My advice, take a test ride in both to decide, for yourself.

I own a 2011 Urban Cruiser, 4X4 in silky pearl white and I just cannot stop smiling.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nick View Post
    The Alterra has proven itself over time to be dependable, reliable and efficient.

The new Monty, although very attractive with it's bells and whistles, is unproven. - ? This is just recently sold here but matagal na ito sa ibang countries.

The Alterra is much, much, more roomy inside. Just sit in the back seat!

The Monty is very cramped- but, OK, if you and all your passengers are "small". - It is not cramped.

The Monty has a higher center of gravity and more prone to tipping over during emergency or evasive manuvers. - are you going to a race?

I could go on and on, really.

My advice, take a test ride in both to decide, for yourself.

I own a 2011 Urban Cruiser, 4X4 in silky pearl white and I just cannot stop smiling.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.
    Lurkwer, IMO the only reason why you should buy an alterra over the new VGT Monty is if you want more space and better sound system. For engine performance, fuel efficiency, porma (although relative ito), reliability and dependability (the vgt MS is based on the already proven 1st gen crdi MS/Strada and the engine has been since the time of the dinosuars so parts won't be a problem and its 2.5 only vs 3.0 of alterra which needs more engine oil), the MS IMO is even better than the alterra. It is a true SUV that can handle the rough terrain as well as any SUV in its class.

Why do you think it is the best selling midsize SUV right now? It won't attain that status if it's not proven, reliable and satisfactory. Even my Boss who once said that he only buys Toyota cars actually bought an MS over the Fort even if Toyota has a casa here and Mitsu doesn't. The ride and performance won him over. Think about it.

But of course, it is your money so as suggested, test drive both before making the final (& rewarding decision). You can't go wrong with these 2 rigs.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Good Morning! Newbie here. We're planning to purchase an Alterra in months time. Upon purchase gusto ko po sana papalitan ung stock n 16" wheels, ano po b ung tamang laki n pwede?

saka po gusto ko dn po sana paplitan ung front grille, kng meron po kayong suggestions, kindly please. gusto ko po sanang malaman kng san po ung subok nyo nng mga locations for this kind of jobs. salamat po ng marami!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jon2_pogi View Post
    Good Morning! Newbie here. We're planning to purchase an Alterra in months time. Upon purchase gusto ko po sana papalitan ung stock n 16" wheels, ano po b ung tamang laki n pwede?

saka po gusto ko dn po sana paplitan ung front grille, kng meron po kayong suggestions, kindly please. gusto ko po sanang malaman kng san po ung subok nyo nng mga locations for this kind of jobs. salamat po ng marami!
    I am sorry, I cannot read tagalog-but;

My unit was purchased from Isuzu Cabanatuan, and I did have alternative wheels and tires available right from the dealer. They were "in stock".

I prefer the standard wheels and I am satisfied with the standard Bridgestone dueler tires. The Alterra may come with Yokohomo tires as is now standard on the Dmax.

Do check with your dealer first!

They are very quiet and have a good road grip.

My only complaint is that they tend to pick up every little stone on the road and hold them with a strong grip.

The standard wheel size of 16 inch on the Alterra works very well.

If you move to 17 inch, there are tradeoffs which for me are not worth it.
    The centre of gravity raises, which is for me, a disadvantage- plus power to the wheels is less with 17, rather than 16.

You are wise to do your "homework" before buying. I did, and I am not sorry for the time invested.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Lurkwer, IMO the only reason why you should buy an alterra over the new VGT Monty is if you want more space and better sound system. For engine performance, fuel efficiency, porma (although relative ito), reliability and dependability (the vgt MS is based on the already proven 1st gen crdi MS/Strada and the engine has been since the time of the dinosuars so parts won't be a problem and its 2.5 only vs 3.0 of alterra which needs more engine oil), the MS IMO is even better than the alterra. It is a true SUV that can handle the rough terrain as well as any SUV in its class.

Why do you think it is the best selling midsize SUV right now? It won't attain that status if it's not proven, reliable and satisfactory. Even my Boss who once said that he only buys Toyota cars actually bought an MS over the Fort even if Toyota has a casa here and Mitsu doesn't. The ride and performance won him over. Think about it.

But of course, it is your money so as suggested, test drive both before making the final (& rewarding decision). You can't go wrong with these 2 rigs.
    I agree!

You cannot go wrong with either one, even though my personal opinion strongly favors the Alterra.

I use a driver for trips, and I like to sit in the second row (which reclines) and cross my long foreigner legs, while I enjoy the eleven standard speakers.

Please do not consider the Santa fe, nor the Fortuner as good rivals.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    I am sorry, I cannot read tagalog-but;

My unit was purchased from Isuzu Cabanatuan, and I did have alternative wheels and tires available right from the dealer. They were "in stock".

I prefer the standard wheels and I am satisfied with the standard Bridgestone dueler tires. The Alterra may come with Yokohomo tires as is now standard on the Dmax.

Do check with your dealer first!

They are very quiet and have a good road grip.

My only complaint is that they tend to pick up every little stone on the road and hold them with a strong grip.

The standard wheel size of 16 inch on the Alterra works very well.

If you move to 17 inch, there are tradeoffs which for me are not worth it.
    The centre of gravity raises, which is for me, a disadvantage- plus power to the wheels is less with 17, rather than 16.

You are wise to do your "homework" before buying. I did, and I am not sorry for the time invested.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

Uncle Nick,

Thank very much for your informative reply. Sorry for the tagalog. Actually, I already decided to purchase the Alterra. However, I am still collecting opinions and some more details regarding the Alterra. Anticipation of what we may encounter, just a precaution as well as so that if we can do something to avoid we still can.

I am considering the Isuzu in Cavite, because it will be the nearest in our house. Additional information from other Alterra owners regarding their service providers will be highly appreciated. I am also considering the fron grille to be replaced, any recommendation?

Thank you for all the information and support.

Jon2

7. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Uncle Nick,

Thank very much for your informative reply. Sorry for the tagalog. Actually, I already decided to purchase the Alterra. However, I am still collecting opinions and some more details regarding the Alterra. Anticipation of what we may encounter, just a precaution as well as so that if we can do something to avoid we still can.

I am considering the Isuzu in Cavite, because it will be the nearest in our house. Additional information from other Alterra owners regarding their service providers will be highly appreciated. I am also considering the fron grille to be replaced, any recommendation?

Jon2
    bro i suggest to enjoy your ride habang stock pa. you'll void some of the warranty if you tend to change something on your ride specifically your wheels or something electrical and engine mods. enjoy it first in its stock form. my ride is dmax, today is the last day of my warranty coz i bought my unit feb 29 '08 * isuzu alabang. :D my mileage stepped to 74k.haha i already planned some mods for my dmax already and maybe i'll start to modify it by the end of march. i just let my warranty end to avoid any issues about the warranty although on the first year or my ride, i already change my headlight to HIDs.

if you want to change your front grills, you may check at banawe QC where you can choose different designs of grills the might fit your taste.hehe

btw, look for elmer "emeck" albento for your unit * isuzu cavite. i can contact him for you,he's my college friend.he can help you regarding your concerns on alterra. just pm me bro.. thanks!

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Uncle Nick,

Jon2

Sir Jon2,

Congratulations in your decision in getting the Alterra Urban Cruiser. I replied to your PM about the front grille and happy to say you wont go wrong if you get the kit from Atoy Body kits.

For more pictures of the kits and mods for Alterra, please visit my site:

jefsan08.multiply.com

Welcome to the Tsikot group Jon2!!!

Jefsan

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I agree!

Please do not consider the Santa fe, nor the Fortuner as good rivals.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Please elaborate why Sta Fe and Fortuner are not good rivals? How about the Ford Everest?

Thank you

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by auto_fanatic View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Please elaborate why Sta Fe and Fortuner are not good rivals? How about the Ford Everest?

Thank you
    The Santa Fe is a "crossover" and not a true SUV. It has unibody construction, a transverse mounted engine, and is Front Wheel Drive or All Wheel drive.

There are real horror stories about the lack of good dealer service over the internet.....check it out on "Google"!

The Fortuner is strongly anticipated to be replaced with an all new unit soon...maybe this year.
    The current 3.0 Diesel is the only unit which is a good contender as a rival to the Alterra, but it suffers from a cramped interior, short wheelbase (choppy ride) and inferior entertainment system when compared to the Alterra.

As far as "Looks", however, the Fortuner beats them all, even the Alterra.

Thats the way I see it, anyhow.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
New Isuzu Alterra Urban Cruiser