New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi Guys,

Need some help here. Its about my dad's 2003 Isuzu XUV Crosswind. He recently developed some problem with his left knee. The XUV's clutch is quite stiff and causes pain in his knee area whenever he drives the vehicle. The doctor advised him to refrain from driving until his knee's condition has improved.

Although its an option to sell his M/T car and get an A/T, we would like to explore whether there is a way to 'soften-up' the clutch. A mechanic mentioned something about attaching a "booster" to remove the stiffness. Ive never heard of this device before. Is having a stiff clutch a sign for any problem?

Anyway, I need some suggestions on this. TIA.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It could mean that the release bearing is on the way out.

Not many ways around it... talagang matigas ang clutch ng mga truck. I've never heard of a "booster", either. I suppose it's a device that'll increase the hydraulic pressure to make clutch action quicker?

I have arthritis, and I also have problems with driving long distances on manual vehicles. The best advice I can give is for your dad to exercise to increase his muscle tone. Just 15 minutes a night of isotonic stretching exercises (no load) helped me a bit... but it's best that he also walks and exercises regularly.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Niky may be right. The clutch system of your dad's Crosswind may bet shot anytime soon.

I have driven both a 2002 Crosswind XTO MT (with a new clutch system) and a (close to) brand new Crosswind Sportivo MT (2007) ... they performed the same. Malambot naman clutch.

I don't know about that clutch "booster".... not that I'm saying it does not exist but surely it's not OEM. ISUZU Philis. would not vouch for it for sure.

My 2 cents.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    erase! erase!
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; November 19th, 2007 at 01:16 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It can be done but it has to be remote since clutch and brake master are beside each other. Once i saw an electric booster for the brakes on a c. sprinter with a twin side.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have the car's clutch system examined, probably the stiffness is being caused by something within the clutch assembly. But the car has logged only about 50K kms, is this more or less the mileage when the clutch's parts need replacement?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    We replaced at 40-50k kms, I think.

It depends on usage, whether your dad is a "clutch driver" and the amount of traffic. Any of the above conditions can cause the clutch to go.

Weird thing is, after the replacement at 40k kms, the new clutch has lasted from then to 120k kms... Same thing with the Lynx... had clutch "grabbing" and shuddering issues, replaced at 40 k kms, no problems since.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Alright! Thanks Niky. I guess its about time for the clutch to be inspected and replaced. Hopefully this would lead to a softer clutch.

Thanks again to all for the help. :D

Crosswind Clutch Problem