New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 74 of 1212 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rna800 View Post
    *LancerA174A

It's up to you, sir, on how you want to break in your vehicle. You can follow what is in the manual if you are not sure. They said that brand new vehicles have been "broken in" in the plant before releasing them.

For me, I just drive it like how I drive my older cars. I even do burst speeds up to 160 kph then return to 100 kph then 140 kph and so on. I don't do jack rabbit start and revving it like I am gonna race. Just smooth sailing and let momentum take its course in speeding up the vehicle. I don't rev it near the redline also. Like that, nothing really special.

Thanks sir rna800, actually I asked my friends about this and they said it actually depends on the car. Though I think it's better to "break in" the car just to be sure.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    As for me kasi as long as normal operating temp already, i try to vary my rpms with acceleration bursts up to 3krpm for like 3 to 5 secs. I think and i hope its okay hehe. Mas masama yata sustained rpm like on a highway. Much better if rpm varies.
    Last edited by Djerms; October 1st, 2014 at 08:55 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LancerA174A View Post
    Hi guys! I've been following this thread even before we got our unit last Saturday. Coming from an old Hi-Lander, the engine is really silent for an Isuzu. 80% siguro maririnig mo lang road noise. We're really impressed and it doesn't feel underpowered at all.

Congrats for being one of the early birds Sir. Looking forward to read your comments/observation regarding FC and uphill power in the near future.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Puwede, pero I'm sure hindi yan yung realistic figure. Mga 15-16km/ltr puwede pa.
    here is the top 8 mostefficient SUV from Topgear.com.ph and DoE

http://business.inquirer.net/15879/t...gh-fuel-prices

Eight of the most fuel-efficient SUVs and pickup trucks in the Philippines | TopGear.com.ph

5. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack E. Bagbaga View Post
    Congrats for being one of the early birds Sir. Looking forward to read your comments/observation regarding FC and uphill power in the near future.
    Thanks sir! When we got home, I drove it around for almost 2 hours. 90% city and 10% in highway just to see how it fares with overtaking. The highest I got was 11.4 Km/l at an average of 21Km/h speed.

Not really sure if it's frugal or not, as some say it will still change after the break in period.

Our highway has inclines too, and the next day we drove to Subic. It feels lighter than I expected and I need not to floor it in inclines compared to our Starex. A slight depress on the gas pedal is enough. :thumbup:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LancerA174A View Post
    Thanks sir! When we got home, I drove it around for almost 2 hours. 90% city and 10% in highway just to see how it fares with overtaking. The highest I got was 11.4 Km/l at an average of 21Km/h speed.

Not really sure if it's frugal or not, as some say it will still change after the break in period.

Our highway has inclines too, and the next day we drove to Subic. It feels lighter than I expected and I need not to floor it in inclines compared to our Starex. A slight depress on the gas pedal is enough. :thumbup:
    Thanks for the review sir and Congrats. Please keep us posted with your observations on your new ride to help other prospective buyers to make decision.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    *ydoj:

Hi sir. Welcome to Tsikot!

It means don't stay in the 3k or more rpm for a long period of time. Make it 2500, 2800, 3k, 2k rpm.

Next is don't gun the engine if it hasn't reached its normal temperature on the very first start. This means that just drive it slowly until the temp is already normal.

Last is for the turbo. If you don't like waiting for a minute or more for cooling the turbo, don't boost it anymore for the last 30 secs to 1 min so that when you arrived in your destination, you can turn it off right away. But for me, on provincial driving or after climbing steep roads, I always wait for 3 mins prior to killing the engine. When I get to the gas station, I tell the gas boy that I can't turn it off yet coz of the turbo. Sometimes they wait, sometimes they don't mind. City driving, sometimes I wait for 1 min, sometimes not anymore.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    *LancerA174A:

Yes if you are not sure, just follow what is written in the manual. You said it's your first brand new car so for me personally, if I don't have enough experience YET on the proper procedure like in your case the break in, then I will consult the manual. Then on your succeeding purchases, you can already do some tweaking and not follow the manual anymore.

As to your query to sir Niky, for sure it will have an effect in the long run especially if you are always gunning your engine upon start up and it hasn't reached the normal temp yet. Try to think of it as doing a marathon upon waking up.

Redlining and over revving your new engine is also not good especially for long period of time. It puts so much pressure on the engine considering it is still in the stage where the pistons are adjusting. Better to just wait after the 1k PMS then you can drive it hard and fast already.

Then as to the turbo, it will have an effect too in the long run if you don't practice proper cool down. It will cook the oil since the turbo fins are so hot then you immediately turn it off, it is going to fry the oil that lubricates it.

9. Join Date
    May 2014
    Hey Guys, this might help you regarding turbocharger.

Turbocharger Maintenance 101

Enjoy reading.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rna800 View Post
    *LancerA174A:

Yes if you are not sure, just follow what is written in the manual. You said it's your first brand new car so for me personally, if I don't have enough experience YET on the proper procedure like in your case the break in, then I will consult the manual. Then on your succeeding purchases, you can already do some tweaking and not follow the manual anymore.

As to your query to sir Niky, for sure it will have an effect in the long run especially if you are always gunning your engine upon start up and it hasn't reached the normal temp yet. Try to think of it as doing a marathon upon waking up.

Redlining and over revving your new engine is also not good especially for long period of time. It puts so much pressure on the engine considering it is still in the stage where the pistons are adjusting. Better to just wait after the 1k PMS then you can drive it hard and fast already.

Then as to the turbo, it will have an effect too in the long run if you don't practice proper cool down. It will cook the oil since the turbo fins are so hot then you immediately turn it off, it is going to fry the oil that lubricates it.
    Yes sir, we also had a Starex before and we wait 2-3 mins before turning off the engine after a long drive to avoid damaging the turbo. And before we leave the house I drive around to let the engine reach its normal temp. before everyone is ready