New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 171 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by airolynx View Post
    usually sir yung maingay sa umaga is because your engine idles faster than it should during cold starts. this is to help the engine warm up faster.

the higher noise level may also be due to the oil not yet reaching some parts of the engine.
    tama, pero once mainit na makina at nag full stop ka, tahimik lang..

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Btw, the TS (and the zackek guy) tried all manner of fuels (shell and petron) yet the symptoms still persisted.
    And yet the threadstarter says that the sound was lessened with Shell 93 and went away completely with Blaze.

There's your answer. Stick with higher octane fuels. Not all 93 RON fuels are the same. Hell, some "95" and "97" fuels are horrible compared Shell's "95".

The problem is they all use different additives to obtain that RON rating, which means different effects despite the same RON number... and furthermor, some stations don't mix properly... others have experienced different levels of knock resistance between different batches of Blaze 100... to the point that the Blaze 100 in some stations isn't even as good as the 96 V-Power from Shell.

Quote Originally Posted by batang_raon14 View Post
    Thought I'd add, stated on the manual 95 RON ang kailangan talaga ng Accent pero for EU countries lang daw ito. For non-EU countries, pwede raw ang 93 RON but expect degradation in engine performance daw.

You can check it in the manual to verify.
    It's possible that the calibration can't make up for the piss-poor energy content of ethanol enriched 93 RON... which means you'll have to stick with premium fuels.

My suggestion to the threadstarter is to stump up the extra moolah for "premium"... experiment with loading 95, run it for a while and see if the sound disappears. If it does, it's not your motor. It's the fuel.

-

Hyundai is not alone with this... other manufacturers occassionally have issues with fuel here. Blame poor quality control at the station-to-station level and changing additives and organics.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Good point Niky, but should've Hyundai warned its client's (accent owners) not to use lower RON? , yep I know this is the Philippines and we are a third world country and all, but this is very irritating.....

This issue will actually create a big hassle to them in many ways (repairs, claims, spare parts, sales, image). I hope Hyundai addresses this issue quickly....

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andretti View Post
    Good point Niky, but should've Hyundai warned its client's (accent owners) not to use lower RON? , yep I know this is the Philippines and we are a third world country and all, but this is very irritating.....

This issue will actually create a big hassle to them in many ways (repairs, claims, spare parts, sales, image). I hope Hyundai addresses this issue quickly....
    They should... when they figure out what the exact problem is. I know of several cases involving other manufacturers where similar has occurred, and with some test units, we are warned by the service departments or sales representatives to use a very specific brand and level of gasoline.

Yes... it's irritating. And a good case for adapting the US Anti-Knock Index for grading gasolines instead of the simplistic RON rating. RON testing does not measure for knock under load. MON (motor octane number), which the US uses to generate AKI numbers in combination with RON, measures knock resistance under load, and is more important for consumers.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    to me, its more acceptable na lemon yung unit, than saying na its a fuel problem.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapitan88 View Post
    to me, its more acceptable na lemon yung unit, than saying na its a fuel problem.
    Why? If the problem is fuel, replacing the unit will not make the problem go away.

Personally, I've experienced bad gas here. I've seen brand new diesel engines go into limp mode after loading fuel from an unfamiliar station... after running them for days prior with no problems. I've had my car "knock" on fuels that were supposedly high octane... and I've seen some 95 and 96 RON gasolines produce more power from ignition advance than supposed "97 RON" fuels.

Yes... there's a problem with the car, since it's supposed to adapt for poor octane (all modern engines are), but there's always an aggravating factor, otherwise the car would not stop knocking on high octane fuel.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    They should... when they figure out what the exact problem is. I know of several cases involving other manufacturers where similar has occurred, and with some test units, we are warned by the service departments or sales representatives to use a very specific brand and level of gasoline.

Yes... it's irritating. And a good case for adapting the US Anti-Knock Index for grading gasolines instead of the simplistic RON rating. RON testing does not measure for knock under load. MON (motor octane number), which the US uses to generate AKI numbers in combination with RON, measures knock resistance under load, and is more important for consumers.
    Thanks for this info.

I hope Hyundai will be the first manufacturer to address this issue head-on, lalu na bago pa ang accent.

The gasoline issue in the Philippines is known form long before, its a given fact and I am sure all manufacturer's know this, actually they should not blame the fuel.

Isang term lang ang maisip ko sa reasoning nila..................."PALPAK''.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Sa fuel yan kapatid na TS.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Then why did other guy (zackek) with problems get a refund from the dealer rather quickly?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Sayang wala pa 1.6 GLS Blue owner dito. Gusto ko rin malaman kung nagkaka-ganyan din sa 1.6 GLS Blue. Para yun nalang ang kunin than 1.4 A/T..

2011 Accent AT - Engine Knock!