New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ Pareho lang yun... Kung ilan ang % deviation sa speed, yun din ang deviation sa travelled distance.

But personally, I don't think 2.5 to 5% of error would matter that much to a buyer. For a car that has an odo reading of 80,000 km, the error is just around +/- 4,000 Km.

Instead of owning the problem of determining if the odometer reading is true, why not pass the burden of proof to the seller. Make HIM prove that the odometer reading is true and not tampered with. Again, only proper documentation when he had the car undergo regular PMS will show you if he's telling the truth or not.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    ^ Pareho lang yun... Kung ilan ang % deviation sa speed, yun din ang deviation sa travelled distance.

Again, only proper documentation when he had the car undergo regular PMS will show you if he's telling the truth or not.
    Sir medyo OT, di kasi ako familiar sa mga terminologies sa mga kotse, ano po ung PMS?

And when we say CASA, eto po ba ung mismong SHOP tapos dun pinacheck ung car regularly? Can I call any legit car mechanic shop a CASA (same service and procedures just like the authorized mechanics)?

Thanks!

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    PMS - preventive maintenance schedule

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kintosh View Post
    Sir medyo OT, di kasi ako familiar sa mga terminologies sa mga kotse, ano po ung PMS?

And when we say CASA, eto po ba ung mismong SHOP tapos dun pinacheck ung car regularly? Can I call any legit car mechanic shop a CASA (same service and procedures just like the authorized mechanics)?

Thanks!
    PMS=Preventive Maintenance Service
    Casa is the term used to describe the car dealers (ie. Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, etc.)

If for instance, a Honda casa maintained the car, it will have historical records for everything that has been done/fixed and parts replaced. And it is SOP that they get the odometer reading as part of the checklist of things to be done whenever the owner have it serviced.

If you have access to this record, you can pretty much get a trend of how many kilometers the car traveled within a specific amount of time. Then you'll know if the odometer has been tampered with.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I agree checking the maintenance record of a car. How reliable would these be after a while? Example car is 1999 pa. Reliable kaya records ng Honda? Pwede kaya gawing reference sa condition nito?

Marami kasi pasaway na nagbenta ng 2nd hand. Mas mabuti talaga kung kalilala mo or bago na lang ang bilhin mo.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    the 2nd hand car market is littered with cars who have 50T mileage. these cars came out in 99 to 01. i've bought a couple of civics myself with 50T mileage, one is a 96, the other is a 99, around last year.

the 96 had a really bad, smelly interior. the auto box jerked like crazy and the engine seemed and sounded really worn. but since the paint was excellent and still looked new, my mom and i took the chance. we were wrong. the car was a goddamned money pit. it was impossible that car had only 50T mileage. it ran too badly to be a low mileage 96 vehicle.

the 99, on the other hand, ran excellent, interior looked and smelled like new, or something that hasn't been used regularly. that car was a good buy.

the point is, chambahan din. either an abnormally large number of people are selling their cars at the 50T km mark, or buy and sellers are now clocking the vehicles. not all, but i've seen most of the cars i've canvassed have mileages with 50T or below. i saw one or two with 70T or 100T (bit more normal for a car that age), but those were private sellers.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    The net says digital odometer was devised to stop tampering of the mechanical odometer. However, it became easier for some crooks to tamper.

It is just like attaching a laptop to the ecu that controls the odometer. So the dashboard will be opened. That's where to look for signs like missing screws, scratches, asterisks om the display.

Lowering of the odometer will obviously give better pricing to the dealer. This is a 2 billion dollar scam in the US....a crime.

I wonder what the authorities or LTO doing about tampering in the Philippines.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    PMS=Preventive Maintenance Service
    Casa is the term used to describe the car dealers (ie. Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, etc.)

If for instance, a Honda casa maintained the car, it will have historical records for everything that has been done/fixed and parts replaced. And it is SOP that they get the odometer reading as part of the checklist of things to be done whenever the owner have it serviced.

If you have access to this record, you can pretty much get a trend of how many kilometers the car traveled within a specific amount of time. Then you'll know if the odometer has been tampered with.
    Astig! Thanks for the info!

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Actually, with Civics the whole gauge cluster can be replaced with a low mileage one so it can also be deceiving.

Surplus gauges abound.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Very few owner preferred for casa service until the time they sold the car so it’s really difficult to know the real mileage esp when you’re buying it na from the car exchange/agent/dealer. Casa record is definitely a plus but not a guarantee. With casa service record doesn’t mean it’s not abused or been wrecked so you need yourself and expert’s help to find out.

Tsambahan talaga

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How to check if the km reading is tampered or not (odometer yta yu)