New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    what is the different of honda sintetic oil and the honda mineral oil..mas mahal di ba? sintetic is 2000plus but the other is 800 something..

the Q is if dati gumagamit ako ng sintetic then i change it with mineral oil may magiging problema po ba..

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by atog View Post
    what is the different of honda sintetic oil and the honda mineral oil..mas mahal di ba? sintetic is 2000plus but the other is 800 something..

the Q is if dati gumagamit ako ng sintetic then i change it with mineral oil may magiging problema po ba..
    wala. it's all myth. but if your car has a high mileage, use synthetic oil instead of regular (mineral) oil. it will give more protection to your engine especially when the engine gets hot(er).

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LNopal View Post
    wala. it's all myth. but if your car has a high mileage, use synthetic oil instead of regular (mineral) oil. it will give more protection to your engine especially when the engine gets hot(er).
    Down grading may not have a problem, but upgrading for a high mileage car has potential issue. But not a guarantee naman.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Down grading may not have a problem, but upgrading for a high mileage car has potential issue. But not a guarantee naman.
    can you explain why?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    can you explain why?
    Synthetics (because they are really good) can free up some old sludge/deposits in the engine. They may cause this minor leaks in the head gasket area for example. You might want to read, http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Synthetics (because they are really good) can free up some old sludge/deposits in the engine. They may cause this minor leaks in the head gasket area for example. You might want to read, http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
    i don't understand understand the statement :

Perhaps not that common an occurrence, but worth bearing in mind nevertheless.

it seems like the author is not so positive about his statement. is it a myth?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    unless you own a real old car, like a 1981 starlet on the original engine, hindi na issue yung magpalit ng synthetic to mineral and vise versa.

para sa mga honda, ang issue ay yung magpalit ka bigla ng 20w-50 oil. i've observed this on all my hondas... coming from 10w-40 semi syn to cheap 20w-50 shell yellow, nagsisimula na yung oil leaks sa top half ng engine.

maybe it's because of the higher oil pressures using 20w-50 oil (it is thicker than 10w-40). i don't really know. pero one thing's for sure though: i'll never use 20w-50 on my cars.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    unless you own a real old car, like a 1981 starlet on the original engine, hindi na issue yung magpalit ng synthetic to mineral and vise versa.

para sa mga honda, ang issue ay yung magpalit ka bigla ng 20w-50 oil. i've observed this on all my hondas... coming from 10w-40 semi syn to cheap 20w-50 shell yellow, nagsisimula na yung oil leaks sa top half ng engine.

maybe it's because of the higher oil pressures using 20w-50 oil (it is thicker than 10w-40). i don't really know. pero one thing's for sure though: i'll never use 20w-50 on my cars.
    new honda cars use 5w-20 and older ones are recommended to use 5-w30 or 5w-40. i am not sure if 10w-40 is acceptable or not, but definitely 20w-50 is not. to thick for the engine. also, does 20w-50 meet the catalyst compatibility requirement for newer vehicles?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    di na 20w50 ang shell ngayn, 15w40 n.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    new honda cars use 5w-20 and older ones are recommended to use 5-w30 or 5w-40. i am not sure if 10w-40 is acceptable or not, but definitely 20w-50 is not. to thick for the engine. also, does 20w-50 meet the catalyst compatibility requirement for newer vehicles?
    i've used 5w-30 before... havoline ung brand, blue bottle semi-sythetic lang ya talaga nung time na yun about half the price of mobil 1. now this exact type of oil from havoline is now being marketed as fully synthetic and i highly doubt na nag reformulate sila.

used that oil 3 times for 1 year, i think 07 or 08 yun. after 1 year, tanggal rocker cover to check timing and valve clearances... ayun, all cam lobes were scuffed. kelangan daw i-grind to smoothen them out again pero di ko na pinagawa kasi wala naman epekto sa performance. never used that oil again.

now i'm not saying na ganto mangyayari pag gumamit ka ng 5w-30 ha... i'me just saying na be careful what you put into the engine - even if its manufacturer recommended oil. such things are dictated by the weather in the country with the biggest market share of the vehicle you're purchasing... countries like china, north america, japan... where they need oil that will not freeze solid in the winter. here in noynoy's country, its 36C in the summer, 30C wet season... and if you run to pagudpod in the middle of 36C weather there's bound to be lots of degradation in the oil. sometimes its good to just follow gut instinct for these types of things.

10w-40/30 has a good spread of viscosity improvers, and if your engine burns through all the additives in the oil, the base will still flow like a 10w. now pag 5w-30, mas maraming additives ito (kaya mahal eh)... once the VIs are exhausted, well, you're left with an oil thats too thin, and loaded with alikabok and other dirt. as reference, 0w is like water, 2-3w is like cooking oil. labnaw nun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
honda engine oil different