New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    To minimize air pollution, DENR proposes to ban 15-year-old cars | TopGear.com.ph

The state of pollution in Metro Manila is worsening every day. The Department of Environment and Natural Resources believes drastic measures are needed to curb the rapid deterioration of air quality, and to reduce the metropolis's carbon footprint.

DENR secretary Ramon Paje said that around 70-80% of air pollution in Metro Manila comes from vehicular emissions, with the remaining 20-30% coming from industrial emissions.

"Clearly, the key to improving Metro Manila's air quality is by addressing the biggest source of pollution, which is motor vehicles," the DENR secretary pointed out. "We are therefore proposing an early implementation of the Euro 4 standards for automobile fuels and the scrapping of older high-polluting vehicles."

Actually, there is already an order issued by the DENR to implement the Euro 4 standard by January 1, 2016. Currently, the government only insists on Euro 2 compliance. Paje's proposal is to move that deadline six months earlier, to June 2015.

In line with this move, Paje also urged the Department of Transportation and Communications to phase out vehicles that have been operating for 15 years or more, to reduce the automobiles on Metro Manila streets. If this is implemented this year, this means car models 1999 and older will be banned from our streets.

As an alternative, Paje also proposed that these older vehicles be prohibited from plying major thoroughfares that experience major traffic. His reasoning behind this is that heavy traffic equals more idle time on the road, and this leads to more emissions.

As a reference, the European emission standards that defined these emission limits already implemented the Euro 4 standard in the European Union in January 2005. The Euro 6 stage is already supposed to be implemented this month. So as it is, we're already nine years behind the Europeans when it comes to emission standards.

Of course, this is a multifaceted issue. All fuel companies also have to get on-board and offer Euro 4. The good news is that most of the big petroleum players as well as the major independent companies are already offering Euro 4 fuels.

So, do you believe in the DENR’s proposal?

what's your opinions about this

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    As long as they give me a tax deduction or rebate for purchase of a new car of at least minimum 100k or the current fair market value of the vehicle, and phase out jeeps, buses, trucks and motorbikes that meet that age as well papayag ako. Ang what exactly do they plan to do with the thousands of vehicles that have to junked and recycled? And what about the income loss from all the car registrations?

Enforce lang nila ng maayos yung mga emission test lalo na sa public vehicles na on the road buong araw lilinis na agad hangin natin. Medyo kulang sa pagiisip yung nag suggest nyan.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Tapos gawin nila lahat ng hybrid and electric vehicles tax exempt.

Tapos sabi nya idle time ng vehicle, eh kasi ba naman mga jeep at bus kung mag hintay ng paseho minsan ang tagal. Sa ibang bansa pag nag stop yung bus sa bus stop at walang paseho proceed na sa next stop. Simple lang naman mga solution pero malabo ma implement.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Dapat yata unahin ang smoke-belching bus at jeep na me ninja-smokescreen tuwing tumatakbo.
    Tsaka may diesel vehicles na mausok kahit wala pang 15 years, me nakita akong montero na ninja-smokescreen din eh. Hmm...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    I am willing to volunteer in behalf of the owners of those cars 15year old & up,to take the emission challenge.a 20 year old car vs those 5 year old govt vehicle being used by the govt agency who wants to implement this GENIUS idea.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    This morning on my way to take my daughter to school and on my way to the office. I started to take notice of the cars on the road, I came to the conclusion na kokonti na lang ang mga private cars na 15yo and up. So kung ganun nga, its kinda pointless to get rid of those old cars.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Mods kindly merged na lang with the other thread.

Mas nauna lang pala na-post ito eh. Kayo na bahala.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    May nakita akong '91 Mazda 323 rust bucket, held together with tapes and ropes bearing the MMDA Office Liveries chugging along C5 last night.

9. Join Date
    May 2013
    at eto pa isa...

"LTFRB official wants only PUVs on EDSA during rush"

susmaryosep. nag iisip ba talaga ang mga ito? i wanna see these so called govt officials take the aptitude test in public. kung nasa pribado ang mga ito, talsik na mga to sa trabaho.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by gutz_3110 View Post
    at eto pa isa...

"LTFRB official wants only PUVs on EDSA during rush"

susmaryosep. nag iisip ba talaga ang mga ito? i wanna see these so called govt officials take the aptitude test in public. kung nasa pribado ang mga ito, talsik na mga to sa trabaho.
    Kaya nga goverment offical eh kasi tanga. Another political appointee kasi walang makuhang trabaho sa private sector dahil bobo. He should have just banned all vehicles from EDSA para mas kwela kung nagpapatawa cya.

DENR should be abolished. Another one heck of corrupt department since time of Maceda. Illegal logging up to now they cannot contain resulting to flooding & landslides. Ngayon sasawsaw sila sa pollution which is a global problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast