New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Paki-share lang mga ideas nyo about shifting gears.
    To start movement 1st gear syempre , and once the car is already in motion, 2nd gear agad, then cruising 3rd gear, tapos 4th-5th gear when trying to get some more speed.
    My question is, at what speed km/h should you really change gears. Sabi nila when you reach 40 km/h dapat 4th gear ka na.
    How about pag traffic?
    Flooded streets/areas? 1st gear or 2nd gear.

Pls. post, post, post.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Actually, you should base your shifting on the tachometer (RPM) rather than the speedometer. Also depends on conditions and driving style. If you want to save on fuel, shift up when you reach 2000rpm.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If the engine sounds like it's about to blow up, it's either time to shift up into the next gear, or if you're in top gear... slow down. :hysterical:

-

The appropriate time to shift will depend on the engine and situation. For smaller gasoline engines, it's more appropriate to shift up at around 2500-3000 rpm (as long as the gears aren't incredibly long), while bigger gasoline engines and diesels will feel comfortable shifting up at 2000-2500 rpm.

On most cars you start in 1st gear... on some you can start in 2nd (L300, anyone? :hysterical ) with no problems.

There's no golden rule. In my old 1.3, I was in 4th by 50 km/h. In my 2.0, I'm in 5th. In the Focus diesel, I'm in 6th... ...as long as the car isn't lugging (naghihirap... or nagkakabayo...)... then you're in the right gear.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    There is no hard and fast rules. Generally, listen to the sound of the engine and let it be your guide.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    correct! tama si gerbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    There is no hard and fast rules. Generally, listen to the sound of the engine and let it be your guide.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    there are rules but its practically flexible, one can base it on the rpm

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    there are rules but its practically flexible, one can base it on the rpm

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    around 2k rpm ako mag shift depending kung kelangan ng extra power like pataas or mag overtake.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    it depends... pero ang madalas kong napapansin, at 2000 rpm or even before it reaches 2000 rpm ang shifting

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    It depends on how do you want to drive..

race drive: shift each gear around 4000-6000 rpm. consumption is high, more engine strain.

Tipid mode: Change each gear below 2000rpm. Maybe higher than 2000 rpm considering you need more power to move at the right pace. results to better fuel consumption.

If your car is new, you can read the manual. most of them have description on proper gearing change.

Nice comment Niky..hehe! that is used in race style driving..

"If the engine sounds like it's about to blow up, it's either time to shift up into the next gear, or if you're in top gear... slow down. :hysterical:"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
When to change gears?