New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i read an article about the vios lately, and read a comment that the VVTi engine si more tunable than the iDSI.

i'm not really sure what the writer meant. does it simply mean that you can coax more hp from a VVTi rather than an iDSI? or is it easier to tune a VVTi?

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    VVT-i is a more performance-oriented engine management system than the iDSI. But a better comparison for the VVT-i is the VTEC system. So the two isn't a valid comparison.

And BTW, Toyota ECUs are devoid of any tunable engine governor variables, unless you're working for TRD, TOM'S, etc... On the other hand, there has been plenty aftermarket computer tuning kits for the Honda VTEC-equipped engines.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    just to clarify po: the article was about the vios, and the writer was comparing its engine to the city ;)

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The IDSI engine is design for maximum fuel efficiency...

it only has 8 valves but contains 8 sparkplugs for a more efficient burning of fuel.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk
    i read an article about the vios lately, and read a comment that the VVTi engine si more tunable than the iDSI.

i'm not really sure what the writer meant. does it simply mean that you can coax more hp from a VVTi rather than an iDSI? or is it easier to tune a VVTi?
    It's a common mistake to judge the power of an engine by HP alone. Torque is just one of the other factors. If you want to read about iDSI, try this link Honda's L-Series Engine. It also shows the difference between iDSI and VTEC. Hope it helps.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    well, i believe fusion-R has a project jazz. tuned up and souped up. yung stock ECU had a piggy-back program on it. so i guess if it comes to tuning the car to a more race-worthy car, i can say that its possible.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Both the Vios 1.5 and the City 1.5 have aftermarket options for them... there's an original TRD turbo 1.5 (just don't ask me how to get one), while the City/Jazz 1.5 has quite a number of tuning parts from Japanese companies.

But if we're comparing VVTi to iDSi, that's apples to oranges. VVTi, just like the 1.5 VTEC, maximizes power from the small engine, while iDSi is more focused on fuel efficiency.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Both the Vios 1.5 and the City 1.5 have aftermarket options for them... there's an original TRD turbo 1.5 (just don't ask me how to get one)
    Same turbo in the 145hp Vios TRD Turbo?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Kaya nga "don't ask me"... those TRD units are limited, and I don't know if Toyota will sell the kit only...

but at least it means the engines will be available in the future...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Kaya nga "don't ask me"... those TRD units are limited, and I don't know if Toyota will sell the kit only...

but at least it means the engines will be available in the future...

VVTi vs. iDSI