New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004

Survival Guide: Driving Through Floods 101

When faced with a flooded roadway, ask yourself the following questions: (1) How deep is the water? (2) Where are the gutters and open manholes? (3) How far it is to dry ground? (4) Is the current is strong enough to carry you over the edge of the road? and (5) Where are the edges of the road?

If you can’t answer even one of these questions, then why risk it? Choose your battles wisely. Whenever possible, find an alternate route, preferably one leading to higher ground or the nearest multi-storey car-park.
    Two weeks late for some people who didn't learn their lessons from Ondoy... but it might save someone in the future...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    This is a very very good article. Very simple and easy to understand. Thanks for this article :D

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hehe...

One thing I feel is lacking in most guides is an explanation of intake placement. Most people assume that just because their car is tall, the intake is clear of any water.

This is just not true. The Ford Escape and our 2007 CR-V are prime examples of this. They both have intake placement at a mere bumper level. S.O.P., whenever someone new drives the car, I pop the hood and point it out to them... to make sure that they won't get it into their heads to try flood fording with the CR-V.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I like the graphics, it made the whole explanation simple. Then, out of nowhere, it reminded me of the intake placement of my old Mazda 626 (hood level) hahahaha I dont know why

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Avoid crossing against oncoming traffic or beside trucks. Bow waves from large vehicles can push flood water up into your air intake. On the contrary, driving behind the wake of a truck can help you ford deeper areas than you normally could. Of course, if the truck should slow down or stop for any reason, you’re toast.
    ganito yung nangyari sakin dati, ok na yung andar ko tapos biglang may humarurot na bus na kasalubong ko.. ayun! tirik! buti na lang malapit na sa flyover so naitulak namin then patuyo ng konti...

anyways, tfs! very informative!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    I like the graphics, it made the whole explanation simple. Then, out of nowhere, it reminded me of the intake placement of my old Mazda 626 (hood level) hahahaha I dont know why
    Ah, the 626. Perfect intake placement. Too bad the car was ground-scrapingly low.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    At least in the ASX, the intake is about headlight level.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Same with the A32 Cefiro, the intake was right above the grill and it had a myriad of tubing for sound reduction (it also restricted the engine quite a bit it seems). Kalaban mo would be the bow waves really when you encounter idiots who think they can part the red sea by driving hot through the flood.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Another consideration is that many cars have plastic intake resonators. On the 06 and up Civic, this is located behind the driver-side bumper and about the same height as the front axle. If the resonator or the tubes connecting to it isn't water-tight, it doesn't matter where the intake spout is.

FWIW, the Civic's intake spout is located about a foot behind and a couple of inches above the driver-side headlight.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Pajero and strada, above the wheel well and air intake.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Survival Guide: Driving Through Floods 101