New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    It should not only be the engine and battery that you should be concerned about, other parts need lubrication also. It's better to drive the car around the block one a week if possible.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    I'd suggest you also up the tire pressure of your tires para huwag ma oblong -- going to the recommended pressure of the TIRE rather than the CAR.
    Eh kung palagyan ko na lang ng nitrogen yung mga gulong ko para mabagal ang pagsingaw?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Why not disconnect the negative from the battery terminal? I do this when I fly to manila for a week para di madiskarga ang battery.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa actual experience ko, 3 months na hindi nagalaw ( as in para siyang naka impound lang) yung CRDI na sasakyan ko, wala namang naging problema nung gamitin ko ulit.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Bale alin ang "lesser evil", disconnect the battery o paandarin at idle lang (for 5 to 10 mins) weekly/bi-weekly?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Hay...
    We had bad experiences when it comes to NOT USING THE CAR FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

1) Lancer MX 2000
    - Was not used for 2 weeks, the speedometer got busted. The gauge hands don't work na. When you start the engine, walang gumagalaw sa mga gauges, parang patay na yun makina. Needed to change the speedometer, 10k damage. Gauges did not work, but engine will start pa rin naman.

2) Audi A4 2000 A/T
    - Worse. Was not used for 3 weeks, the immobilizer got busted. Car starts, car wont. Car starts again. Car wont. You go out of your home, park at the mall, go back, BAM! Car won't start na. Call the towing (because hindi pde i-series or whatever). Damage 2k blah blah... Change the immobilizer (with the speedometer, kasama kasi yun eh) BAM! 48k! (or more ata yun, hindi ko na inaalala, sakit sa bulsa eh) Down the drain!

All prayers, no more #3.

What we do, warm the engine.
    Payo ko sa yo. Warm your engine. Don't leave it there alone. Lalo na Diesel ata yan.

Just sharing.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    Eh kung palagyan ko na lang ng nitrogen yung mga gulong ko para mabagal ang pagsingaw?
    You're really after the shape nung gulong -- hindi (lang) po ang pagsingaw. Kung hindi kasi titigasan ng konti, yung steel belts niya might remain in the oblong position.

I'd suggest normal air lang na dagdagan ng psi depende sa recommendation ng gulong (imbes na ng kotse) and fix any leaks from holes and valves.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    It should not only be the engine and battery that you should be concerned about, other parts need lubrication also. It's better to drive the car around the block one a week if possible.
    This is the best one.

The Mazda3's battery went flat because of the integrated immobilizer. A lot of new security systems and ECUs will trickle-drain the battery over time... you can disconnect the battery, but you should also start the car every now and then to charge up the battery.

And you should drive it around... let it get up to operating temperature and let the lubricants circulate fully.

But if you're going to be away and can't drive it, and no one will be there to do it for you, you might want to invest in jack-stands to take the load off the tires, or over-inflate them for the storage period.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Ok, I will follow your advise and try to get someone to drive the car around the block at least once a week. In addition, the tires will be filled with nitrogen to greatly minimize pressure loss.

After the 5 months has elapsed, would it be necessary for an immediate oil change (regardless of the mileage reading) before putting the car back into regular use?

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderloo View Post
    Hay...
    We had bad experiences when it comes to NOT USING THE CAR FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

1) Lancer MX 2000
    - Was not used for 2 weeks, the speedometer got busted. The gauge hands don't work na. When you start the engine, walang gumagalaw sa mga gauges, parang patay na yun makina. Needed to change the speedometer, 10k damage. Gauges did not work, but engine will start pa rin naman.

2) Audi A4 2000 A/T
    - Worse. Was not used for 3 weeks, the immobilizer got busted. Car starts, car wont. Car starts again. Car wont. You go out of your home, park at the mall, go back, BAM! Car won't start na. Call the towing (because hindi pde i-series or whatever). Damage 2k blah blah... Change the immobilizer (with the speedometer, kasama kasi yun eh) BAM! 48k! (or more ata yun, hindi ko na inaalala, sakit sa bulsa eh) Down the drain!

All prayers, no more #3.

What we do, warm the engine.
    Payo ko sa yo. Warm your engine. Don't leave it there alone. Lalo na Diesel ata yan.

Just sharing.
    Also have an Audi A4. My immobilizer also acts up sometimes but the problem was the key reader, not the immobilizer itself. I replaced it and the car starts fine now.

If you ever need Audi parts, PM me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Not using your car for a long period of time