New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Good day forum members...

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I can't seem to find the proper loop.

EGR - to blank/block or not to.

Sub-forum member owners of Montero's / Fortuner's / Everest's and the other diesel SUV's swear that there are benefits and some do not.

My question is WHY would the manufacturers (Mistubishi / Toyota / Ford / Hyundai / Kia and the others build engines that incorporate EGR's only to have it blocked / blanked by modifiers. (again this is a prerogative of the owners)
    There has to be a reason why EGR's are there in the first place and that's to reduce harmful emissions.
    HOWEVER, if you leave it unblocked / unblanked your engine produces black smoke and the manifolds accumulate soot.
    So what gives???

There are mechanics who simply say "let just clean or replace the EGR when it becomes dirty, madali lang yan"
    Modifiers say "blank / block it immediatetly, it will save you money in the long run. No smoke and faster and stronger accelartion"
    Owners however have mixed results:
    Negative - CEL, fouled up ECU's, melted plates, still emitting smoke, etc
    Positive - no more black smoke and faster accelartion , no EGR to clean and manifolds stay clean too.

Then there is also the question of passing the smoke emission test for registration.
    If you blank blank / block, will your engine emit higher NOX reading coz the EGR is not doing what it is intended to do, which is reduce unwanted emission.

I know this is debatable.
    Appreciate your comments / inputs / and learned suggestions.

Thanks !!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    You already answered your own questions. Frankly, I dont understand the point of this thread.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 2

3. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post
    You already answered your own questions. Frankly, I dont understand the point of this thread.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 2
    Senyor Lew...

Thanks, i see your point too...
    My main concern rather is when I register on the 4th year...
    Just got my rig so 3yrs rehistro ko. Frankly I have not made up my mind on what to do kaya am asking in here.
    There is still my 3 yr warranty if things foul-up... then again I might blank prior to the end of warranty... i dunno.
    Never had this quandry on my gas fed cars and an old gen diesel wrangler (no ecu, just direct injection).
    My fortuner is past warranty so that can be an experiment... the montero is just a month old though.

Thanks again.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Just remember this very basic explanation..

ALL emission control device is harmful to your engine, to list few:

EGR
    crancase ventilator
    Gaso evaporative filter
    Cat
    DPF
    urea injection

Why i said harmful? Because the efforts to have cleaner emission always have a tradeoff. These devices tend to fail in time,cause self-destruction of engine, and requires additional maintenance/ expense in maintaining it. People blank EGR to prevent this kinds of problems.

Care about the environment? In my opinion, blanking EGR is not illegal here. Our government does not measure Nox nor they are capable of knowing. The standard test at LTO is only Opacity test w/c is only particulate emission, not the invisible Nox.

Another is, EGR only works when the engine is idling(on diesels). Cruising speed and its shut like it does not exist.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    After having engines fail at the most critical of times (see signature), we opted to blank the EGR's on most of our units especially the older ones.

We are in a non legislative market meaning EGR is not required here in the same way that ABS and Airbags are also not mandatory on cars. Our vehicles will pass all applicable local emissions laws with the EGR blocked.

A blocked EGR can raise EGT (exhaust gas temp) so it's also nice to have an EGT gauge on board (we have not phased in EGT yet).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Just remember this very basic explanation..

ALL emission control device is harmful to your engine, to list few:

EGR
    crancase ventilator
    Gaso evaporative filter
    Cat
    DPF
    urea injection

Why i said harmful? Because the efforts to have cleaner emission always have a tradeoff. These devices tend to fail in time,cause self-destruction of engine, and requires additional maintenance/ expense in maintaining it. People blank EGR to prevent this kinds of problems.

Care about the environment? In my opinion, blanking EGR is not illegal here. Our government does not measure Nox nor they are capable of knowing. The standard test at LTO is only Opacity test w/c is only particulate emission, not the invisible Nox.

Another is, EGR only works when the engine is idling(on diesels). Cruising speed and its shut like it does not exist.

Sir 12vdc...

Those were points to ponder... well taken
    Also LTO's testing opacity of particulate emission, didn't know that before. I just ask testing center if readings are still low or critical.
    Nonetheless, I'll see what the reading is on my fortuner which doesn't have it's EGR blocked, due for rehistro by Jan, and it's no longer warranty.
    Maybe that will dictate what I will do with the new rig (montero sport).... BTW, mileage on 3 yr old fortuner is only 21k

So is it safe to say that ordinary stop lights idling is alright?... I am fortunate not to be driving in rush hour traffic (EDSA, C-5, and Manila area)
    This way my EGR only actuates in stop lights.... very enlightening.

Thanks a lot !!

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I am also intrigued with this EGR blanking considering I myself experienced before that dreaded MIL/CEL showing on my dash due to malfunctioning EGR. Wala namang masamang nangyari sa auto but I felt a loss or restricted power. Parang may nakasakal. Buti nalang pwede palang linisin. Ung SCV ang hindi pwedeng linisin.

So if blanking can be considered a solution for it not to recur, might as well do it. But my dilemma is what if it will cause more problems. Kaya nagdadalawang isip akong subukan.

Sir Otep, what would happen if the EGT gets too high? Also, how will it get high or what would raise it too a high level? Is it like while driving on the highway, stuck in traffic?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    After having engines fail at the most critical of times (see signature), we opted to blank the EGR's on most of our units especially the older ones.

We are in a non legislative market meaning EGR is not required here in the same way that ABS and Airbags are also not mandatory on cars. Our vehicles will pass all applicable local emissions laws with the EGR blocked.

A blocked EGR can raise EGT (exhaust gas temp) so it's also nice to have an EGT gauge on board (we have not phased in EGT yet).

Sir Otep...

*** this is one thing I have read which caught my attention. and this was validated by a mehcanic friend. An engine will be running relatively hotter in this set-up, so EGT is a must.***
    You're right EGR's aren't mandated yet so we can still tinker with it.
    Thanks for the inputs. !!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The raised EGT's won't really be a problem unless you run the engines flat out for extended periods. hehe.

On Patrols running ZD30 engines, the turbo tended to overboost causing the EGT's to shoot up on units with blanked EGR's.

Most newer vehicles have safeguards against overboost that the Patrol didn't. But you can opt to install a boost gauge if you want to monitor boost yourself.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Just like what sir Otep mentioned, blanking EGR on newer engines won't make your EGT that hot enough to melt the impeller of your turbo because newer engines have overboost sensor. It should raise concern only if you are operating your vehicle at extremes (like racing the car or hauling a trailer uphill for long periods) then neglecting proper maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-D View Post
    This way my EGR only actuates in stop lights.... very enlightening.
    Engine will not run efficiently if EGR is open at high rpm because of lower oxygen content. That is the reason why a faulty stucked-open EGR results to loss of power in turbodiesels.

EGR is like a crap from the anus being fed back into the mouth.

Basta may kinalaman sa environment na nakakabit o nilalagay sa car, may detrimental effect sa car.

Naglabas ng biodiesel, it eats the older rubber and oil seals. Bio also are more prone to sludge and water contamination.

Binawasan ang sulfur, nabawasan din ang lubricity ng fuel.

Nilagyan ng ethanol ang gaso, tumotope ang makina kelangan i advance, mahina power.

If your car could only talk, it is veery happy without those environmental thingy.

Now, you should wonder how a 30+yrs old jeepney engine without these environmental device(and venting the crancase in the atmosphere) could pass an LTO testing.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast