New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    I used to start the car immediately, once I've inserted the key in the ignition. But a friend told me that it's bad practice. Kailangan daw hintayin ko muna mamatay yung check engine light bago mag-start. Totoo ba to?
    If yes, what are the probable effects on the engine if i start too early?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcoffee View Post
    I used to start the car immediately, once I've inserted the key in the ignition. But a friend told me that it's bad practice. Kailangan daw hintayin ko muna mamatay yung check engine light bago mag-start. Totoo ba to?

what bible has he been reading?. i have worked on cars for a long long time and read owner;s manual to owner's manual and i'm sorry i must have missed that. i have never seen what he told you.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009

which bible has your friend been reading? i have been in the industry for many many years and this is the first time i heard this. some cars will not extinguish the check engine light even if you turn blue until you start the car

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    When you turn on the ignition, the computer runs a diagnostics of itself and of selected sensors. If everything passed the test, the CEL is extinguished. Depending on the car, diagnostics can last 5-20 seconds. Starting the car immediately does not terminate the diagnostics. The makers probably thought that once the engine caught on, it would be wise to extinguish the CEL to alleviate any confusion that there is something wrong with the engine. The ECM/PCM runs several tests every second so if there is indeed a problem, the CEL will light up in real time.

Among other things, the warning lights are all initially lit up to show that all of them are working.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Ano pong sasakyan ito?

Sorry hindi pa kasi ako nakaranas na may "check engine light" pag nag engine start eh. Kadalasan ay ang seat belt warning indicator ang umiilaw kasabay ng warning sound. Ito siguro ang sinasabi ng kaibigan mo. Actually noong nag bibigay ng orientation ang SA ng irelease ang Honda city namin ay ito ang sinabi: "wait nyo po muna mag stop ang alarm sound before turning to ignition". Mali yata ang pagkaintindi nya kasi seat belt naman yon. Pag nag-strap ka ng seat belt before inserting the key ay wala kang maririnig na warning sound.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshorn View Post
    Ano pong sasakyan ito?

Sorry hindi pa kasi ako nakaranas na may "check engine light" pag nag engine start eh. Kadalasan ay ang seat belt warning indicator ang umiilaw kasabay ng warning sound. Ito siguro ang sinasabi ng kaibigan mo. Actually noong nag bibigay ng orientation ang SA ng irelease ang Honda city namin ay ito ang sinabi: "wait nyo po muna mag stop ang alarm sound before turning to ignition". Mali yata ang pagkaintindi nya kasi seat belt naman yon. Pag nag-strap ka ng seat belt before inserting the key ay wala kang maririnig na warning sound.
    Another myth. That's not true. The beeping is just a reminder to wear the seatbelts. On some cars, the warning beeps are repeated every several seconds if you drive the car without still wearing your seatbelts. The beeping is sometimes made to be annoying so the driver is forced to wear the safety belt.

You can start the car even in the midst of the beeps without any problems.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    on some cars, hindi nawawala yung CEL until you start the engine. On other cars, particularly hondas, the CEL stays on for around 3 seconds before it goes off. I sometimes wait for it to go off before starting, and sometimes i dont. I dont see a difference naman whether i wait or not.

The beeping sound is just the seatbelt reminder buzzer. It doesnt matter naman and you dont have to wait for it to stop before starting the car.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Heard this also to other car owner specially with EFI engine . There is no harm in trying even its a myth.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    I was told the same.

Now i dont have to wait 3-5 secs before i start my car

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    My rides ganito ang CEL upon starting.

02 Adventure - CEL goes out after 3-4 seconds, before starting, palagi ko itong hinihintay mawala before starting until I bought my Alto.

08 Alto - CEL ay hindi nawawala hanggang hindi iniistart. hinintay ko ito for 10 seconds or more pa yata, wala pa rin nangyari dahil nasanay nga ako sa Adventure ko na hinihintay ko pang mawala. After that, nalaman ko na hindi na pala kailangan hintayin na mawala ang CEL.

Hope naliwanagan ang iba. It really depends on the car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Check Engine Light- Hintayain Mamatay?