New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Mga Sirs what is the best turbocharger that will fit the 3c-t engine without changing the pipings because i want to add more boost to the diesel like 8psi or more from stock. thanx in advance

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zed2d View Post
    Mga Sirs what is the best turbocharger that will fit the 3c-t engine without changing the pipings because i want to add more boost to the diesel like 8psi or more from stock. thanx in advance
    hey bro, have you tried upgrading your Intake and Exhaust system? also, do you have a Boost Controller? (or even a boost gauge to monitor boost pressure??).

anywayz, if you dont have these upgrades then I think you should have these basic mods before replacing your Turbocharger on the 3C-T. also, its not a good idea to "over-boost" a diesel engine (8-10 psi over stock) since the engine will not run efficiently. not unless if you want to spend more money on engine internal upgrades & engine management upgrades (which I think is not worth doing, specially on a 3C-T engine).

aite, peace.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I assumed you already put intercooler in your ride right?

I don't know what turbo to replace, but I know that 2c-t CT12 is swappable with 3c-t CT9's.

but I do not recommend upgrading your turbo. your ct9 is capable of producing boost even up to 13 psi or more

like KBR suggested, increase boost by using a boost controller. or plain cheap washer. though 3c-t has boost fuel compensator, you need to manualy adjust to a little more fuel.

buy a boost gauge to see not to get it exceed 10 psi. (readings must be tested while the engine is running hard or uphill) I recall I mentioned before to a similar thread that 12psi is the max but I was wrong. 10 psi is the max and 13 psi is the check turbo alarm indicator. contrary to a friend from uk that he get's 12 psi regularly in his diesel. autodata suggests 10psi. his 12psi data is probably for Starlets, Gtti's.

Last edited by rion; April 8th, 2008 at 02:13 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    You dont have to upgrade your turbo, a cheap way is delaying the openning of your waste gate. Like kBR said a boost controller can do this. Ingat lang sa pag increase ng pressure, your head gasket ang pinaka maapektohan niyan.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zed2d View Post
    Modifying or changing your turbo for an additional 8psi of turbo boost will not significantly improve power as this is only air. Power gain will be marginal. To gain more power, the injection pump has to be readjusted to deliver more fuel as well. But this is not calibration; this is modification. And you will be running the risk of damaging your engine. The 3C has ample power as stock.

Ingat.

Bye,

Dieseldude

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I realize your stock engine used to be 5K from a local liteace right?

I'm noob with muflers, is your intake, exhuast, mufler for 1.5L gas engine compatible with 2.2L Turbo Diesel?

3CT has bloody vac and boost pipes. are you sure all of the pipes are properly routed?

your Injection Pump has two valves for the vacuum and boost pipe to connect for fuel balancing. it should have 5 actuators. and your TPS should be working too.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    thanx sa mga reply ninyo mga sirs. by the way yung intake ko pala i modified na ang airbox chinange ko from the oiriginal to a isuzu elf airbox plus large pvc pipings. and i added an intercooler from a isuzu trooper. and lastly my exhaust is already turbo back free flow 2" diam pipies. And i've already adjusted the full load adjustment screw in my injection pump to its fullest. sir rion how much pala yung ct12 na turbo? and what boost controller should i get for this type of turbo?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    This is very interesting but off topic: I know of somebody in Colorado who is a dieselhead and goes by the name of Zedd, and here you are who seems to be similarly interested in diesels and your handle here is ever so slightly different

If the device that compensates fuel input per amount of boost at the intake has not been adjusted then I think you need to check it in order to achieve optimal air/fuel mixture. Remember a larger turbo will create more lag due to the larger components.

I think the best turbo upgrade would probably be a VNT - variable nozzle turbocharger

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    interesting, full na yung governor? dapat lilipad na yan. but how is your fuel consumption? and smoke levels?

no idea how much ct12 costs. whole engine kasi kami bumili.

I believe there is something missing in your mod and transplant. considering full yung governor. a stock setting is halfway lang.

you are using a intercooler for 3.0-3.1L TD engine but the engine is 2.2L + longer than stock pipe routes. and specialy NO boost mods, that's a huge lag.

I will this stress again because your engine is a transplant and a partialy electronic controlled fuel. Your boost fuel compensator valve in your injection pump must be routed properly. without it, no fuel compensation during boost. happened to me when we had injection pump cleaning. the mechanic was not able to return the pipings properly and it was disastrous. A working TPS (throttle position sensor) is helpfull. it also balances air/fuel mixture. were you able to make it work?

also, for further improvement disable your EGR. gives you a little more pony power.

any mechanical boost controller will do fine. haven't used one personaly though. I am using plain cheap washers lang, not as efficient...

*mbeige: VNT is the ultimate satisfaction. but I bet the turbo costs more than the engine itself.
    Last edited by rion; April 10th, 2008 at 02:15 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    *Rion, I didn't say it was the best one, financially

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Best turbo upgrade for toyota 3c engine