New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Mods, please delete if there's similar thread. Thanks.

Lifted from INQ7.net

Another water-powered engine in the works
    By Tessa R. Salazar

Other Stories
    Another water-powered engine in the works
    Pimentel urges recovery of MRT-3 obligations before fare increase
    Mitsubishi cries 'smear campaign' in recall, probe order
    A design concept that defies constant change
    Travel-weary motorists get new rest stop at SLEX
    Archive

THINK out of the box. Challenge existing norms. Newton, Edison, the Wright brothers and even Henry Ford all thought ahead of their time, and risked being the laughing stock of the world. In the end, not only they succeeded in their Quixotic quest, but also their discoveries and inventions became the norm for which future models and systems would be based on.

Such was how the director of the Department of Science and Technology's Technology Application and Promotion Institute (Tapi) Malou Orijola likened inventors in the Philippines when asked about a certain Glenn Castillo claiming to have put together a water-powered engine powerful enough for use in automobiles.

Castillo, 37, a graduate of electronics and communications engineering at the Adamson University and a graduate of industrial electronics at Awaki Electronics in Tokyo, has displayed his water-powered engine, a hydrogen reactor, at an exhibit of the Filipino Chinese Chamber of Commerce with six other inventors at the Manila Hotel. The DOST has allowed him to display his invention to attract possible investors.

Would this mean, however, the extinction of billions of fossil-fueled internal combustion engines in the near future? The inventor himself is uncertain on this aspect, and hints that additional work on his invention still needs to be done. "Even if there are issues such as the engine's problem with rust and energy imbalance and the need for another engine to produce hydrogen fuel aside from the engine to run the machine, we are continuously exploring," said Castillo.

Despite these obstacles, Orijola said Tapi is encouraging inventors like Castillo to challenge the accepted norms. She said she hopes senators and congressmen could allot more funding for the inventors' projects.

Castillo has been focusing his creative energies on inventing power-saving devices for 16 years. Three months ago, he finally showed Tapi, government officials and some representatives of the congress his water-powered engine.

Castillo explained that his breakthrough involved a reactor powered by minimal voltage. This reactor, in turn, separates enough hydrogen from water to run an automobile engine.

The reactor effectively eliminated the need to install another engine to separate hydrogen from water. "We could have produced hydrogen in another engine to current amplifications. But what we did was amplify the current. Instead of putting another engine, we amplified and doubled the current to the demands of the engine."

The hydrogen reactor was developed three years ago. The basic fuel cycle starts with water, which, when circulated through the reactor, will be broken down to its basic components of hydrogen and oxygen using a 12-volt DC (direct current) power supply. The hydrogen goes to the engine, directly to the combustion chamber. The separated oxygen is expelled as emission, and rejoins with hydrogen. The emission result would be ordinary water in gaseous form.

Aside from the prototype reactor and engine displayed at the Manila Hotel, Castillo already has a working engine fitted on his 4500-cc Lexus SUV. He said his Lexus now runs on 80 percent hydrogen and 20 percent diesel. He said he was now fitting another water-powered engine on an owner-type jeep.

"We are persistent. We have proven that a 12-volt DC power supply could continuously charge the battery."

Fellow inventors from other countries, particularly Japan, Castillo said, have been developing their own hydrogen-powered engines. The main difference his engine has from theirs, he explained, is that his reactor separates hydrogen from oxygen. He added that the other inventors had to source their hydrogen supply from outside suppliers, making the fuel itself more expensive.

But because Castillo's reactor does the job by itself, all the users have to do is go to the nearest water refilling station and buy distilled water.

Castillo claims that funding, mostly from venture capitalists, has been offered. He said he had been offered a $150-million grant from a Japanese venture capitalist and another $150 million from an Australian businessman. He said his group, composed of inventors such as Popoy Pagayon, is taking its time with respect to accepting these grants.

But Castillo is not the first who has claimed his reactor could separate hydrogen from water. Daniel Dingel, an inventor who has claimed for years that he had developed such a reactor, had previously shown apprehension over going public about his reactor.
    This time, Castillo goes a step bolder by showing how his reactor works.

"Before my demonstration, I always ask spectators which would be more powerful, water or gasoline. After seeing the demonstration, the skeptics see that water, indeed, is more powerful.

"Hydrogen is the lightest element in the universe. It's the most abundant element on earth."

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I still dont understand how in the world can 12V split H2 atoms from H20.... Scientists around the world have been working on this for decades with gazillion of budget, and yet, some guy in a backyard can do it with 12V?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    me either. anyway, glenn castillo is the inventor of the 'stun gun' right? yung mala-flashlight na nageemit ng million volts daw? pero ok tong taong ito, di gaya ni Dingel. sya willing nyang i-demo yung gawa nya. :D

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    12 volts at a very high current could split H2O.. I'm not sure if the reaction is fast enough to supply an engine with enough H2 though.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Hmmmm... Hydrogen... Reminds me of a huge disaster long ago.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    seems impossible based on my chem knowledge. hehe pero to see is to believe right? I do hope he demos his "invention". And i do hope we claim the patent for this invention...ang dami nating pinapalagpas na potential assets for our country.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    one thing that differs this guy from dingle is that he is willing to show the public how his invention works.. si dingle.. salita ng salita.. pag inusisa na.. ayaw ng ipakita...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by ghosthunter
    12 volts at a very high current could split H2O.. I'm not sure if the reaction is fast enough to supply an engine with enough H2 though.
    but you also need VERY pure water. not just your ordinary distilled water which is still isn't 100% pure. contamination of any sort will make the reaction impossible.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Originally posted by mazdamazda
    but you also need VERY pure water. not just your ordinary distilled water which is still isn't 100% pure. contamination of any sort will make the reaction impossible.
    Di parang ganun din parang ang hirap humanap nang VERY pure water.

Ilang pakulo kaya nang tubig na distilled yan. hehehe

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Another water-powered engine. Anybody knows Glenn Castillo?