New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    My Rav4 2002 is having issues like the following

•Transmission slips any gear, but mostly from second to third gear.
    •Starting in 3rd gear and shifting erratically or not shifting
    •Rattling noise coming from the front area when parked or neutral, with the engine running
    •The feeling of brakes applying by themselves in some occasions

They said that this is a known ECU issue (Rav4 2001-2003 A/T Harsh Shifting Issue) to rav4 and there a lot of repair offers from ebay abroad mostly in the US.

May I know if we have a repair shop here in the Philippines that is known to repair and solve these issues?

Any of the members here or owner had the same issue?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by legriv View Post

•Rattling noise coming from the front area when parked or neutral, with the engine running

They said that this is a known ECU issue (Rav4 2001-2003 A/T Harsh Shifting Issue) to rav4 and there a lot of repair offers from ebay abroad mostly in the US.

May I know if we have a repair shop here in the Philippines that is known to repair and solve these issues?

Mahirap i-repair computer box sir, for safety and peace of mind, I suggest you get a surplus with warranty of course or better yet a brand new one.

3. Join Date
    May 2006

iirc i posted a tsb of toyota regarding that matter and there's also a list of new pcm part numbers with it. i think the best route is to consult your dealer or look for surplus with the same new part numbers. our local pcm repairmen would not know the problem of the old pcm, they're are looking for burn marks, leaking capacitors, busted diode, etc.

i hope your transmission is still okay.
    Last edited by t2erns; November 29th, 2014 at 05:44 PM.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    other known pcm problems regarding toyota transmissions (not meant to scare owners but for info purposes only):
    2001-2003 RAV4s not the only ones with defective ECM design.
    2004-2005 RAV4s having P0776 coming from control units and
    2005-2007 Corolla has P2716 for the same reason.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Sir anong brand ng seal kit?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by t2erns View Post
    iirc i posted a tsb of toyota regarding that matter and there's also a list of new pcm part numbers with it. i think the best route is to consult your dealer or look for surplus with the same new part numbers. our local pcm repairmen would not know the problem of the old pcm, they're are looking for burn marks, leaking capacitors, busted diode, etc.

Thanks sir t2erns, your reply makes a lot of sense.

Before I heard about the TSB and being as a known issue to my Rav4, I already had my transmission overhauled 3times, then that's the time I went on researching and found that it was an issue with my ECU.

Now, I'm torn in deciding whether I get this fixed from the repair offers abroad i.e. 2001 2002 2003 Toyota RAV4 Engine Computer Module Repair Kit ECU ECM 01 02 03 | eBay

Or locally at J6 Banawe, they are offering 13K to fix it.

...Or buy a brand new that costs around 60K.

However, I might now consider your suggestion to have it checked by Toyota so as I wont be ending up replacing good parts.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by t2erns View Post

Before I heard about the TSB and being as a known issue to my Rav4, I already had my transmission overhauled 3times, then that's the time I went on researching and found that it was an issue with my ECU.

Now, I'm torn in deciding whether I get this fixed from the repair offers abroad i.e. 2001 2002 2003 Toyota RAV4 Engine Computer Module Repair Kit ECU ECM 01 02 03 | eBay

However, I might now consider your suggestion to have it checked by Toyota so as I wont be ending up replacing good parts.

8. Join Date
    May 2006

sir pm me if you need acopy of the original tsb issued by toyota.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Hi legriv, t2erns, isn't this problem specific to the US models ECMs only?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Autobeat View Post
    Hi legriv, t2erns, isn't this problem specific to the US models ECMs only?
    Sir Autobeat, from the US repair sites and juctions it appears that the VIN of my ECU is listed from the affected ones, so I believe kasama sya.

But surprisingly, there are not much Rav4 owners are complaining about that here, as per my search...or perhaps they just dont have time to publish. This is why I started a thread, nagbabakasakali ako na yung ibang members naka experience na at they know someone that specializes to fix that kind of issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast