New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Hi guys,

I''m just new here, and a novice in terms of car talk. Please help me regarding to the pros and cons of cruze here in Philippines? I've seen some of the posted threads here, but i really would like to know if ok ba ang fuel consumption, and how about the parts if nasira, may available ba agad na parts here in Ph? Please help me to decide if is it worth buying.

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rodmac View Post
    Hi guys,

I''m just new here, and a novice in terms of car talk. Please help me regarding to the pros and cons of cruze here in Philippines? I've seen some of the posted threads here, but i really would like to know if ok ba ang fuel consumption, and how about the parts if nasira, may available ba agad na parts here in Ph? Please help me to decide if is it worth buying.

Thanks in advance!

Here is my two cents on the Chevy Cruze.

The Cruze, as far as the car is concerned, is a good vehicle. Relatively affordable and includes some accessories you normally don't see at this price level yet. Ride is soft and comfortable. Definitely not a sports car, more of a long distance cruiser.

The 1.8L engine is just good enough for it's weight. The A/T tranny results in a rather sluggish acceleration while the M/T variant is fairly quick, as quick as the Civic 1.8S (which has the same power & weight as the Cruze).

Fuel economy is rated at 10.75km/L by the manufacturer and actual test results are 8.36km/L for the Cruze 6-speed A/T. The Cruze M/T is rated 14.75km/L by the manufacturer, no actual test results are available for the Cruze 5-speed M/T.

The problem with the Cruze is not the car but the brand it carries which is Chevy. It has a history in the Philippines that mostly speaks of expensive parts & labor. Also in there is the common knowledge that parts has a high chance of not being available and you will need to wait weeks if you will order for it (aside from paying a deposit for it).

The current "new" management of Chevy has promised that it will change all that but from the reports of some Chevy Cruze owners, it might be that more things change the more things remain the same.

The only positive news it seems is Chevy Pasig, which is relatively active in trying to help Chevy car owners in tsikot.com.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 11th, 2011 at 09:57 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I have never driven a Chevy Cruze. However, I own a 9 year old chevy. Parts are expensive and hard to find compared to Jap and Korean brands. There are very few parts suppliers aside from the dealer. Best place to buy parts is Thunder. They actually supply parts to the casa.

Unless the new distributor can turn things around, I would stick with Korean or Jap brands. More parts and more mechanics.

Also, Chevy has really low resale value.
    Last edited by userfriendly; February 11th, 2011 at 11:32 AM.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Here is my two cents on the Chevy Cruze.

The Cruze, as far as the car is concerned, is a good vehicle. Relatively affordable and includes some accessories you normally don't see at this price level yet. Ride is soft and comfortable. Definitely not a sports car, more of a long distance cruiser.

The 1.8L engine is just good enough for it's weight. The A/T tranny results in a rather sluggish acceleration while the M/T variant is fairly quick, as quick as the Civic 1.8S (which has the same power & weight as the Cruze).

Fuel economy is rated at 10.75km/L by the manufacturer and actual test results are 8.36km/L for the Cruze 6-speed A/T. The Cruze M/T is rated 14.75km/L by the manufacturer, no actual test results are available for the Cruze 5-speed M/T.

The problem with the Cruze is not the car but the brand it carries which is Chevy. It has a history in the Philippines that mostly speaks of expensive parts & labor. Also in there is the common knowledge that parts has a high chance of not being available and you will need to wait weeks if you will order for it (aside from paying a deposit for it).

The current "new" management of Chevy has promised that it will change all that but from the reports of some Chevy Cruze owners, it might be that more things change the more things remain the same.

The only positive news it seems is Chevy Pasig, which is relatively active in trying to help Chevy car owners in tsikot.com.
    Thank you for your reply. Is 14.75km/L for the Cruze M/T good enough? And why there is a difference between the actual and manufacturer results? sorry if noob question here.

Basically my problem is the available parts just in case there is something wrong with the vehicle. My brother also gave me an advice that it could take months just to wait for the replacement of the said parts.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    I have never driven a Chevy Cruze. However, I own a 9 year old chevy. Parts are expensive and hard to find compared to Jap and Korean brands. There are very few parts suppliers aside from the dealer. Best place to buy parts is Thunder. They actually supply parts to the casa.

Unless the new distributor can turn things around, I would stick with Korean or Jap brands. More parts and more mechanics.

Also, Chevy has really low resale value.
    Hi, that is also one of my concern, the resale value. I'm really thinking if I'll push through on buying this car, other option I have is the Honda City 1.3S MT. What do you think?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thank you for your reply. Is 14.75km/L for the Cruze M/T good enough? And why there is a difference between the actual and manufacturer results? sorry if noob question here.
    The difference between manufacturer and actual testing for the fuel economy is because actual fuel consumption is very dependent on factors like driver habits, road type (uphill, downhill, curves, rough, smooth), traffic conditions (amount of stop & go for a given distance), etc.

Manufacturer specs might be closer to certain countries where they are based or have bigger markets. Example, in the USA.

Basically my problem is the available parts just in case there is something wrong with the vehicle. My brother also gave me an advice that it could take months just to wait for the replacement of the said parts.
    Currently that is the gamble have to take if you are going to buy this car. You are going to take the chance that Chevy Philippines have changed for the better in regards to availability of parts, parts pricing and labor charges.

If you do not want to take that chance, you might want to change your choice of car to something else.

Example:

Mitsubishi Lancer EX with an all-new 2.0-liter engine. Excellently built and impressively speced, the Lancer EX is the car to have if you're after something sporty.

Fuel consumption: (km/L)
    5M/T : 10.62 (mfg.) 9.83 (test)
    CVT 6A/T: 10.20 (mfg.) 9.01 (test)

Although tests only gets 9.01km/L, some owners do get 10 to 13km/L if they drive through highways and expressways.

Mitsubishi Lancer EX Pricing:

Last edited by ghosthunter; February 11th, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi, that is also one of my concern, the resale value. I'm really thinking if I'll push through on buying this car, other option I have is the Honda City 1.3S MT. What do you think?

You can have your choice of the Jazz and City 1.5L variants since the fuel consumption for the 1.3L vs the 1.5L is not that much different. Plus the 1.5L gives you more goodies with the car, example like in the Jazz: better looking wheels, electric-folding side mirrors.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rodmac

The same situation with my last October, 2010. Torn between Cruze or City 1.5E. But at the end, I decided to get the Honday City 1.5E because of Reliability, Parts availability/price and Resale Value. Also, read the story of ResidentEvil, one of cruze owner who had an accident. It takes months (not sure how long na) to repair his car due to parts availability. Not sure kung nakuha na nya yung unit nya.

Anyway, cruze is a good card. But sabi nga ng friend ko "Hindi biro biro ang pera na gagastusin mo, ok lang kung cellphone or TV yan na ok lang magpalit pagnagkamali ka" Doon ka na sa subok at sigurado HTH

9. Join Date
    May 2010
    Actually, my dad is in the same boat with you. I and my dad saw the Cruze in display at SM Megamall one time. We've checked that and both of us came impressed. Especially the midlevel variant (LS MT) has the features that the Honda Civic (V, MT) doesn't at the same price (P850.000 for Civic, with discount).. My Mom even liked it

BUT....

One thing we worried about, RESALE VALUE....

So, if you're getting the Cruze and planning to keep it for a long time, worth it.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    hehe.

how about the new altis?

upgraded to dual VVT-i tapos 6 speed na manual na

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Is chevy cruze worth buying?