New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 63 of 136 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by LoBudget View Post
    Hassle lang na kulang sa Quality inspection sa planta, tapos marami na nag report niyan dito, parang di pa automatic na i-check ng casa bago i-release.

Isa pang common issue i think is that the steering wheel may not be properly centered. Sa ibang nag pagawa inabot ng mga couple of hours din daw kasi sa ilalaim yung correction. Sa na post na pics naka lifter the whole time pero di nakatanggal yung gulong... diba masama sa shocks yon?
    We drive stock SUV's off road with only two or three wheels making full ground contact due to the uneven terrain. The shocks have survived so far.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    good to know myth lang yun kung ganon. so, mas possibleng sira na yung shocks ng mga taong nag report ng ganon scenario dati?

I was referring to long periods on the lifter rather than a few minutes, like when they are working on the underchassis.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    good to know myth lang yun kung ganon. so, mas possibleng sira na yung shocks ng mga taong nag report ng ganon scenario dati?

I was referring to long periods on the lifter rather than a few minutes, like when they are working on the underchassis.
    I think its not a myth.

Shock absorbers (we call it dampers) can be damaged when loaded for long period while on fully extended stroke.

Shock absorber/damper is similar to a hydraulic ram/cylinders. The difference is, there is a tiny hole on the piston of a shock absorber/damper to allow flow of oil thus a regulated/calibrated movement of piston and rod is achieved. It effectively arrest the spring rebound so the vehicle is prevented from bouncing.

At fully extended stroke, all oil at the rod side of the piston is gone. Like a hydraulic cylinder, the shock absorber has a cushion (polyurethane) that could be crushed between the piston and the rod seal pack when all oil is gone.

When the cushion is crushed, there could be debris that could plug the tiny holes of the piston causing shock absorber lock-up.

The danger of crushing and breaking the cushion at fully extended is a wear/age issue because polyuretane becomes brittle over time. But sometime polyurethane cushion can be crushed or broken if some good mechanic simply used a sledge hammer to remove some axle parts while the axle is hanging unsupported on a lifter.

Another cause of damage at fully extended for long period is thermal expansion of oil (this happens in hydraulic cylinder). Oil expands when heated.
    When the rod is already fully extend, the piston is on the top end. When the oil is heated due to increase in the sorrounding temperature it pushes the piston further causing damage of piston or seal or misaligment of piston and rod.

When driving or offroading, one or two wheels may hang. The shock may look fully extended but mostly it is not yet.

Shock absorbers, dampers and hydraulic cylinders are designed to have 2 to 3 speed of strokes. 3speed if has gas chamber. 2 speed if purely hydraulic. The piston actually has two sets of holes. A bigger (working hole) and smaller (impact prevention) hole. The bigger one will be covered by the polyurethane cushion near the top end leaving the smaller hole to allow small amount of oil to flow thus allowing the piston for a slow and smooth landing on the rod seal pack.

Sorry its technical...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Hi guys. I'm a new guy and I need a little help. My father is planning to buy a SUV this moth but he is having a problem on choosing between the Fortuner and the Trailblazer. The new TBZ 2.8 4x2 A/T LT variant is our first option mainly because it holds the crown as the SUV of the year for 2 consecutive years. Secondly, it has a fascinating interior and exterior. However, we are concern about the fuel consumption of this SUV. And we haven't have any single idea about it. Can anyone up there help us and share their thoughts about this SUV, most specially to the owner of this said SUV. Ty

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TBZvsFORT View Post
    Hi guys. I'm a new guy and I need a little help. My father is planning to buy a SUV this moth but he is having a problem on choosing between the Fortuner and the Trailblazer. The new TBZ 2.8 4x2 A/T LT variant is our first option mainly because it holds the crown as the SUV of the year for 2 consecutive years. Secondly, it has a fascinating interior and exterior. However, we are concern about the fuel consumption of this SUV. And we haven't have any single idea about it. Can anyone up there help us and share their thoughts about this SUV, most specially to the owner of this said SUV. Ty
    Try to back read... but basically mas matipid naman daw yung TB, newer tech and 6AT. I dont own a fortuner, but my friends that do say malakas sa gas like averaging 6-7 km/liter, but this is for the pre VNT 3.0 or was the 3.0 always VNT??

6. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Hassle lang na kulang sa Quality inspection sa planta, tapos marami na nag report niyan dito, parang di pa automatic na i-check ng casa bago i-release.

Isa pang common issue i think is that the steering wheel may not be properly centered. Sa ibang nag pagawa inabot ng mga couple of hours din daw kasi sa ilalaim yung correction. Sa na post na pics naka lifter the whole time pero di nakatanggal yung gulong... diba masama sa shocks yon?
    That is one of my personal observation Chevrolet Thailand still lacks the finesse when it comes to quality control of the units rolled out from their plant.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Try to back read... but basically mas matipid naman daw yung TB, newer tech and 6AT. I dont own a fortuner, but my friends that do say malakas sa gas like averaging 6-7 km/liter, but this is for the pre VNT 3.0 or was the 3.0 always VNT??
    we own a 2007 3.0 dsl fort and malakas siya sa krudo,performance wise wala naman ako masabi kasi matulin namang yung sasakyan mga average 8-9 per liter siya usually.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Guys paano mag plastidip ng b-pillar ng tb? And ilang cans ito? TIA

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa527 View Post
    Guys paano mag plastidip ng b-pillar ng tb? And ilang cans ito? TIA

Cover the surrounding area with masking tape and newspaper to prevent paint splash. You will consume 1/2 can of plastidip for both sides on 4 to 5 coatings.. Goodluck

10. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chaborutz View Post
    Cover the surrounding area with masking tape and newspaper to prevent paint splash. You will consume 1/2 can of plastidip for both sides on 4 to 5 coatings.. Goodluck
    1/2 can lang fir both sides? Thanks