New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

Yup, I remember we had a seminar at San Miguel Aquaculture, in Hda. Refugio (of the Menchaca's) in Calatrava, Negros Occidental. Prawn farming has its promises.

Crabs (alimango) on the other hand are not very labor/technology intensive.

Primo, I have friends that were already digging up their sugarcane fields if just to catch up with the booming prawn industry during those days .... when the industry hit a choke point because of stringent export controls .... they (my friends) gladly covered up the diggings and reverted back to sugarcane! .......
    Last edited by lowslowbenz; May 3rd, 2013 at 01:08 PM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Nibuy back ng dad ko yung dating narematang 100 hectares nila na fishpond. Minsan nakikita ko bumibili sila nung mga maliliit na bangus at pinapakawalan dub, kung tama ang pagkakarinig ko Piso per maliit na bangus ang bili niya, nasa planggana lang tapos binibilang isa isa.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    ^

Yup, I remember we had a seminar at San Miguel Aquaculture, in Hda. Refugio (of the Menchaca's) in Calatrava, Negros Occidental. Prawn farming has its promises.

Crabs (alimango) on the other hand are not very labor/technology intensive.

Primo, I have friends that were already digging up their sugarcane fields if just to catch up with the booming prawn industry during those days .... when the industry hit a choke point because of stringent export controls .... they (my friends) gladly covered up the diggings and reverted back to sugarcane! .......
    Everyone really tried to jump on the Black Tiger prawn bandwagon back in the 80s-90s talaga. If your product doesnt meet the standards, sa talipapa/local consumption ang bagsak mo.

Yeah, we were catching those really large mud crabs at the Misamis ponds on a regular basis (yung exoskeleton, kasing laki halos ng 8.5x11 na bond paper).

My dad used to attend those seminars as well. HS-College pa lang ako that time.
    Last edited by vinj; May 3rd, 2013 at 01:14 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by beni23 View Post
    Nibuy back ng dad ko yung dating narematang 100 hectares nila na fishpond. Minsan nakikita ko bumibili sila nung mga maliliit na bangus at pinapakawalan dub, kung tama ang pagkakarinig ko Piso per maliit na bangus ang bili niya, nasa planggana lang tapos binibilang isa isa.
    Minsan, we drained an unused pond for it to be dried up and prepped and were surprised to find a load of Bangus (or Tilapia... can't remember anymore). Yun pala one of our friends threw in some "fry" and forgot about it.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Yeah, we were catching those really large mud crabs at the Misamis ponds on a regular basis (yung exoskeleton, kasing laki halos ng 8.5x11 na bond paper).
    The first time I saw one of those was in Sagay. Napa "O-Sh1t-How-am-I-gonna-eat-that?" moment ako! It was really cholesterol heaven, you could feel your head spin right after ...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Ayun, sa "quality controls" pala nadale. Same thing they're doing to banana/mango exports.

Ang impression ko kasi maseselan yang mga hipon, esp. sugpo. Interesting to hear that Chinese mainlanders are raising them, ang impression ko more of alimango ung tastes nila.

Siguro biased lang ako since i have zero knowledge/experience in it...pag agri/aquaculture kasi vulnerable ka sa environment -- e.g. flood, drought, pollution, algal bloom. Pero kung 2-3 months turnaround time baka manageable naman.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Ayun, sa "quality controls" pala nadale. Same thing they're doing to banana/mango exports.

Ang impression ko kasi maseselan yang mga hipon, esp. sugpo. Interesting to hear that Chinese mainlanders are raising them, ang impression ko more of alimango ung tastes nila.

Siguro biased lang ako since i have zero knowledge/experience in it...pag agri/aquaculture kasi vulnerable ka sa environment -- e.g. flood, drought, pollution, algal bloom. Pero kung 2-3 months turnaround time baka manageable naman.
    Actually ang iniisip ko breeding / aquaculture within tanks and not natural bodies of water. Para mas controlled ang environment... Anyone into this?

Prawns is 2-3 months. Sa tilapia? Bangus?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    hmm..

this just got more interesting...

may ipapakilala sa akin yung tao namin na tiga CLSU who was graduate (even post graduate pa ata) na fisheries course.. then this lead... hmm....

i hope there are also great leads sa market side?

kung local ano ano ba ang choices:?
    - local palengke - sino dapat makilala para makabenta, live ba o frozen?
    - institutional - restaurants ? but di gaano ang volume but hopefully tuloy tuloy? although mas mabusisi? malamang terms pa kung magbayad? upto how much more than palengke prices can they absorb?
    - export- ? how to tap into this? trade shows?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    The first time I saw one of those was in Sagay. Napa "O-Sh1t-How-am-I-gonna-eat-that?" moment ako! It was really cholesterol heaven, you could feel your head spin right after ...
    Was that the same feeling the first time you saw and ate tahong as well?

Man, seafood in the province is just sooo... wow.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast