New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I've been looking around for a GPS-capable 2-DIN LCD headunit (not just GPS-ready, which is different as it doesn't have a GPS "antenna", as I've been told).

I've seen locally available AVT units, but according to Blade where I inquired, these don't have the "antenna" (I think it's a separate receiver unit) yet. They apparently have a GPS receiver input at the back, but the SD card for the maps are inserted into the headunit itself. Unfortunately, such receiver doesn't seem to be available from dealers.

Now I've been seeing AVT units installed in the new Ford Everest, and it seems these units have fully functional GPS. I assume that means they have the separate receiver unit tucked under the dash.

I asked Ford and they don't install such units as "accessories" or add-ons, even to their other cars.

Big question for me now is, since I know these units are already here locally, is there an AVT dealer out there that can install one on my car, complete with GPS receiver? Or is it really at the moment exclusive to some cars (preinstalled) ?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Sorry if my post's title was confusing... I meant I was looking for AVT headunits, not just any of those 2-DIN GPS units available in eBay or Sulit.ph, coz I don't think they have a comprehensive enough map.

And if I were just looking for any 2-DIN GPS unit, then I wouldn't have posted a new thread... but again my question is specific to AVT lang po.

Sorry mods if you think another thread is not a good idea. Paki-merge na lang po sa general thread if appropriate.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    My dad uses an AVT portable GPS in his Jazz. Their "comprehensive map" is so-so, at best. Their GUI also leaves a lot to be desired.

If you care to listen to my advice, I suggest you look for a Garmin GPS (whether it's a portable standalone, built into the HU, or as an add-on module to the HU). Then get the free map (v.1.07) here: roadguide.ph

Btw, how much are you willing to spend?

Just to give you an idea, my HU, the Kenwood DDX8034BT, can take a Garmin GPS module (KNA-G431). I didn't get the module because I already have a Garmin Nuvi 255W and I'd like to use the HU screen to watch movies and stuff. Keeping the two functionality separate fits well for me.

Pictures are not up to scale.

Last edited by oj88; May 14th, 2010 at 01:55 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Does Garmin units have built-in compass?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Does Garmin units have built-in compass?
    Depends on the model. Some have true digital compass built-in that works independent of the GPS. Others derive compass headings (N, NE, E, etc.) using GPS calculations. The latter doesn't work when you're not moving and you have to be at least walking in any direction to get a reading.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    My dad uses an AVT portable GPS in his Jazz. Their "comprehensive map" is so-so, at best. Their GUI also leaves a lot to be desired.

If you care to listen to my advice, I suggest you look for a Garmin GPS (whether it's a portable standalone, built into the HU, or as an add-on module to the HU). Then get the free map (v.1.07) here: roadguide.ph

Btw, how much are you willing to spend?

Just to give you an idea, my HU, the Kenwood DDX8034BT, can take a Garmin GPS module (KNA-G431). I didn't get the module because I already have a Garmin Nuvi 255W and I'd like to use the HU screen to watch movies and stuff. Keeping the two functionality separate fits well for me.
    Interesting... can you give me an idea about how much should I spend to have both the HU and the GPS module? And where can I get it and have it installed?

Currently I have the bundled non-GPS AVT LCD HU on my Lancer EX. I didn't have a choice which LCD HU they would put in when I bought it coz it was just a promo bundle.

Btw, my AVT is connected to the steering wheel audio controls. If I get the Kenwood, do I need an extra gadget to connect to the steering controls? Or standard lang ba yung ganung "connector" (I think it's a small box thing tucked under the dash)

Thanks for the response!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gwapster View Post
    Interesting... can you give me an idea about how much should I spend to have both the HU and the GPS module? And where can I get it and have it installed?

Currently I have the bundled non-GPS AVT LCD HU on my Lancer EX. I didn't have a choice which LCD HU they would put in when I bought it coz it was just a promo bundle.

Btw, my AVT is connected to the steering wheel audio controls. If I get the Kenwood, do I need an extra gadget to connect to the steering controls? Or standard lang ba yung ganung "connector" (I think it's a small box thing tucked under the dash)

Thanks for the response!
    Sorry, I was working on an assumption that you're still in the market for a 2-DIN AVT HU. But since you already have one, these are your choices in order of expense:

1. Get a portable GPS such as a Nuvi. Depending on model, you can get one for as little as P8k for the entry-level ones. Don't buy them at the malls since they charge 2-3x as much. Better if you have someone coming in from abroad to have it hand-carried to you.

2. Get the AVT module that would work with your current HU (assuming it's GPS-ready). Besides this being more expensive than #1, I personally dislike the map and GUI of AVT GPS units. I'm sure they'll get better over time, but if you're talking about NOW, I would get a Garmin.

3. If you're really into consolidating GPS and HU functionality and you have the budget, replace your 2-DIN AVT with a 'proper' 2-DIN HU. So far, I only know of Kenwood having their GPS/Nav units OEMed by Garmin. The Garmin module I mentioned (KNA-G431) will probably cost anywhere between P14-17k if you buy it from the US. The same model being sold locally are too expensive, usually starting at P25-30k.

Referring to my sig below, the Kenwood DDX8034BT cost me about P50k when I bought it late last year. It included a couple of freebies (iPod integration cable and TV Tuner module)... as a sort of Christmas gift to myself. I am sooo happy with this setup. Particularly, it has 2 USB ports (1 for the iPod and another for an external flash memory or hard disk). I use an iPod Classic 120GB for my music and videos and a 320GB hard disk for movies and TV series (both stowed inside the glove box). With two dedicated USB ports, there's no more shuffling between the iPod and the hard disk. The sound is equally stunning primarily due to the 13 Band Graphic EQ, Digital X’over and Digital Time Alignment. You might want to Google it up for the other features.

I took the following video the day I had it installed. I didn't have the 320GB HDD back then and was just using a MediaGate external hard disk media player. Just look for it in my YT channel (DDX-8034BT.wmv): http://www.youtube.com/oj88

For steering remotes, you need some sort of box (ie. XCarlink) to interface the OEM remote to the HU.

Good hunting!
    Last edited by oj88; May 14th, 2010 at 05:01 PM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Thanks oj88 for the comprehensive info.

One last thing, yung nabibilhan ba locally ng Kenwood HU, do they do installation as well? Ang option ko sana is, kapag napag-ipunan ko na, papa-install ako nung Kenwood HU plus the Garmin module and the interface module, kung baga packaged deal... OR if I have the chance to buy cheaper from abroad, I will just bring it to local Kenwood dealer for installation if that's even possible.

If that plan would work, then I can just sell my non-GPS AVT unit.

I'm now convinced that a Garmin GPS would be better than an AVT GPS. Kahit sa reputation pa lang, iba talaga ang Garmin.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gwapster View Post
    Thanks oj88 for the comprehensive info.

One last thing, yung nabibilhan ba locally ng Kenwood HU, do they do installation as well? Ang option ko sana is, kapag napag-ipunan ko na, papa-install ako nung Kenwood HU plus the Garmin module and the interface module, kung baga packaged deal... OR if I have the chance to buy cheaper from abroad, I will just bring it to local Kenwood dealer for installation if that's even possible.

If that plan would work, then I can just sell my non-GPS AVT unit.

I'm now convinced that a Garmin GPS would be better than an AVT GPS. Kahit sa reputation pa lang, iba talaga ang Garmin.
    Installation is usually included when you buy it from the same shop. If the equipment were sourced elsewhere, most shops still accept installation for a fee. You just have to choose the shop wisely. Some technicians would cut and splice wires uncaringly like they're repairing a toaster. Especially if you have a brand new car still under warranty, you'd want someone touching your precious car with kid-gloves.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I appreciate all the advice and info, oj88.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Anyone knows of a 2-DIN GPS-capable headunit?