New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Hey guys, I'm just a new in driving, i'm just wondering what are the benefits to the engine, performance (km/l) or any other aspects when using a higher octane gasoline? ( premium vs unleaded, techron gold vs silver, etc)

Of course, disregard the cost of the higher octane over the regular one...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    it depends onthe car ... if your car recomends it then there is a benefit mapapansin mo e mas magnda takbo mo lahat etc etc but if your car only recomends like 91octae tpos you use blaze ... wala kwenta yung higher octane just a waste of money

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    only if the engine requires it. if the manufacturer says its fine with 80 octane gas then there is no benefit to using 95 octane unless you race and the engine has been modded.

on the other hand, if an engine is rated for 95 octane and you use something lower, there is a possibility for the engine to ping or knock.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pentium9 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm just a new in driving, i'm just wondering what are the benefits to the engine, performance (km/l) or any other aspects when using a higher octane gasoline? ( premium vs unleaded, techron gold vs silver, etc)

Of course, disregard the cost of the higher octane over the regular one...
    If the engine is tuned to take advantage of higher octane gasoline, then YES. If you are just driving around in a Corolla or Sentra, you will not get any benefit.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Stick to what your car manual states. If your manual says use 90 octane then you will be fine with Caltex Silver. If it says use 95 Octane then you need V power or Gold. Most cars are fine with the normal unleaded. However, if you have a "high performance" car, then your manual might state that you need to use high octane fuel.

Examples of cars that need Caltex Gold, V Power, Blaze are BMWs, Nissan Cefiro, Porsche etc... Use of regular unleaded with these cars can lead to engine knock and increased fuel consumption.

Using high octane fuel on cars that only needs regular unleaded is just burning money IMO. However, if your manual says use regular unleaded but your engine knocks when using it, filling up with higher octane fuel can prevent engine knock.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I don't see or could think of any benefit. You'd just burn your money instead of just burning the gasoline.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Depends on the car and the condition. As they get older, some cars require higher octane to avoid poor running, but a well-maintained car should run well on the regular stuff.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks guys, i'm enlightened by your very informative inputs....

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Im using a mazda e2000 powervan. Its second hand when I bought it and the owner says she is using a 95 octane gas so Im using a the same ever since. Does my van really needs the 95 octane gas or theres no difference if I use unleaded or just 93 octaned gas?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well, the only way to find out is to try. I've driven that van, and it runs okay on regular unleaded. If you start hearing funny noises from the engine or feel a significant loss of power from switching gasolines, then go back to using 95 octane.

Just make sure that the engine is in good condition, otherwise, any "effects" you may feel might be side-effects of dirty plugs or some other such problem.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Is ther a benefit of using a higher octane  gasoline?