New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Guys ask Ko lang what is the optimal speed to save on gas? We have an Isuzu sportivo and Mitsubishi mirage 2013. Na notice KO kasi pag medyo over 100 km na ako medyo malakas na sa gas?

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    80 kph, at 2.2-2.5k rpm.
    ganyan lang parati ang takbo ko sa skyway eh.....hehehehehe. so yung 500 pesos ko, inaabot ng 2.5 days..... makati-las pinas ang route...... hyundai getz 1.1 ang oto.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wutangclan_79 View Post
    Guys ask Ko lang what is the optimal speed to save on gas? We have an Isuzu sportivo and Mitsubishi mirage 2013. Na notice KO kasi pag medyo over 100 km na ako medyo malakas na sa gas?

Power required to combat drag goes up as the cube of the velocity.

It might only require 30 horsepower to hold your Sportivo at 100 km/h (this is a very coarse assumption, given the Sportivo tops out at around 140 km/h, at a power requirement of about 75-80 hp), but to travel 120 requires around 50 horsepower. A very noisy 50 horsepower, from experience.

To make horsepower, you use diesel. To use less diesel, use less horsepower. To use less horsepower, go slower. At 80 km/h, you will only be using about 15 horsepower. Or about as much as your airconditioner draws by itself.
    Last edited by niky; August 1st, 2014 at 02:52 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Speed needs more energy

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Wag ka ma stick sa overtaking/fast lane, wag ka din bubuntot sa jeep.

Mag drive ka na parang namamasyal lang, no rush pero wag din naman below 60kph.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Thanks try KO nga basta less 80kph OK na para tipid

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    80-100 kph.
    but if i go at this speed i will need to drink lots of coffee. coffee is more expensive than diesel.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^ Agree, 80 to around 100kph. Depends also on the load of your car because you're looking for the balance of maintaining a speed with the least gas pedal input. But in an open highway, that can make you sleepy so you also have to do pacing to keep you alert.

Road conditions vary so optimal driving speed can also change dependent to that. In my case, there are instances also where i get better mileage at certain speed ranges in 4th or 5th gear instead of the overdrive 6th gear. This is usually in steady 60-90kph highway traffic with considerable volume of cars on the road, with a moderate to heavy vehicle load and the road is not flat (which is the case in NLEX at the Valenzuela to Bocaue portion). It's quite useful to have those mileage "km/L" meters as it can give you an idea on how you can adjust your driving style to be more efficient.

*Niky, it requires 30hp to hold your Sportivo at 100kph but it's a different story when you're talking about getting your Sportivo to reach 100kph.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I've found that my car is most fuel efficient at around 70 kph, in 6th gear at a little over 1000 rpm.

Trip computer shows about 25-30 km/L at this speed.

Also, when on an open highway, nakakaantok rin naman whether 80 or 120 kph takbo ko. There's nothing exciting about going at 120 kph on a highway for me, so at least I find satisfaction in going at 80 since I know I'll have better FC figures.

Highway driving's only fun if may kasabay ka na mabilis.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Question lang, alin ba mas matipid sa FC?
    M/T or CVT?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Optimal speed