New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    i just learned recently that byd was a warren buffet baby. he was the largest investor the ev car company ever had ( from the private sector i imagine). lately though, buffet has been actively divesting from the car giant. i kind of wonder why.

Buffett is raising cash ... incoming recession ... he has sold a lot of AAPL stocks ...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    i just learned recently that byd was a warren buffet baby. he was the largest investor the ev car company ever had ( from the private sector i imagine). lately though, buffet has been actively divesting from the car giant. i kind of wonder why.
    Geopolitical reasons, probably, particularly with the uncertainty of a US election coming.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Only those not owning an EV have range anxiety.
    Sometime range is not range depending on terrain and driving style. My friend recently took his Audi Etron (405km range) from Makati to Nasugbu which was around 110km via Tagaytay so roughly 220km round trip, maybe 250km total with small detours here and there.

Should have been there and back easy right? Well once past Tagaytay the roads are nice, traffic opened up and he was driving spiritedly. On the way home they stopped to have dinner at a restaurant in Tagaytay and the indicated remaining range was down to just 45km!

Day trip ended up turning into an impromptu overnight. Slept at a nice hotel there while the car charged overnight. The wife and kid were happy naman daw so he was happy as well, but you get the picture.

And this was a relatively high-end car.

But for commuting around Metro Manila EV is really perfect especially if you can charge at home.
    Last edited by Dr.Kamiya; May 8th, 2024 at 08:49 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Sometime range is not range depending on terrain and driving style. My friend recently took his Audi Etron (405km range) from Makati to Nasugbu which was around 110km via Tagaytay so roughly 220km round trip, maybe 250km total with small detours here and there.

Should have been there and back easy right? Well once past Tagaytay the roads are nice, traffic opened up and he was driving spiritedly. On the way home they stopped to have dinner at a restaurant in Tagaytay and the indicated remaining range was down to just 45km!

Day trip ended up turning into an impromptu overnight. Slept at a nice hotel there while the car charged overnight. The wife and kid were happy naman daw so he was happy as well, but you get the picture.

But for commuting around Metro Manila EV is really perfect especially if you can charge at home.
    Tumpak

Buti nakahanap sila ng hotel with vacant rooms and EV charging facilities. Luckily they also had extra clothes also for an overnight stay.

They could have gone home but instead needed to spend extra

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002

I also have the etron 55. During the flooding of NLEX last year, I have a flight in NAIA, I have to avoid NLEX, thus I have to reroute in the still flooded provincial roads of Pampanga and Nueva Ecija. Parked my car in T3 parking for 4 days, then drove back home without recharging. Total distance, 350+kms. with 12% battery charge left.

My usual drive to Makati consumes around 34-36%. This time when I got to NAIA T3, batt left was around 40%.

One should know how to drive the car to preserve range. You have to use the regen whenever possible.
    Signature

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Driving to Baguio, I will consume around 55-58% when I reach the top. But going down, it will recharge around 10-12%, with 20+% batt left upon reaching home.
    Signature

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Yeah it'll regen on the way down.
    My friend actually said he felt that kaya to make it home, but would've been cutting it close so he didn't want to risk it.
    If you get stuck in traffic kasi regen isn't as effective.

I think the detours and spirited driving is what did him in, but you can't give a car enthusiast an empty road and tell him to take it easy all the time.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yeah it'll regen on the way down.
    My friend actually said he felt that kaya to make it home, but would've been cutting it close so he didn't want to risk it.
    If you get stuck in traffic kasi regen isn't as effective.

I think the detours and spirited driving is what did him in, but you can't give a car enthusiast an empty road and tell him to take it easy all the time.
    I always do spirited driving on my way back home.
    Signature

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    More EVs to benefit from zero tariffs | Philstar.com

Those buying Hybrids or PHEV should wait.

The Question is will the Dealers lower the prices of their upcoming hybrids and PHEV or would they decide to keep the profit from themselves.

From the EV stand point, most sellers of EV after the EO12 implementation almost never reduced their prices, some only reduced by such minuscule amount. It was only Nissan who aggressively reduced the price of its Leaf EV. Solar Transport never reduced the price of their BYD EV until the parent company signed the deal with AC Motors which by then reduced the prices of the BYD EV units.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Ultimately, it will be competition which will drive prices lower.

At the moment, the demand is so low that there isn't any motivation for the distributors to compete in terms of pricing. The manufacturers themselves have already lowered prices, mind you, and yet the distributors here are still wary of doing that.