New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Do you want to improve your car's fuel economy and you think you have tried all you can with your car?

Have you tried installing a fuel economy gauge on your car?

A simple vacuum gauge will do.

You just have to remember which values are for poor, fair, and good fuel economy.

0-5 - poor
    6-10 - fair
    11 - 17 - good
    18 - 23 - idle

----------------------------------------

Why a vacuum gauge? Because it gives the driver a visual reference how his "foot" will result in what kind of fuel consumption. This is only a reference to the driver.

If the driver ignores the gauge, then the gauge is pointless.

BTW, this assumes your engine is in 100% working order and have no vacuum/pressure leaks from the valves, manifold, hoses, etc.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

Do you want to improve your car's fuel economy and you think you have tried all you can with your car?

Have you tried installing a fuel economy gauge on your car?

A simple vacuum gauge will do.

You just have to remember which values are for poor, fair, and good fuel economy.

0-5 - poor
    6-10 - fair
    11 - 17 - good
    18 - 23 - idle

----------------------------------------

Why a vacuum gauge? Because it gives the driver a visual reference how his "foot" will result in what kind of fuel consumption. This is only a reference to the driver.

If the driver ignores the gauge, then the gauge is pointless.

BTW, this assumes your engine is in 100% working order and have no vacuum/pressure leaks from the valves, manifold, hoses, etc.

ok ito a, how does this work? where will you install the gauge? will it tell instantly that the driver has a heavy foot, or after a period of time?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think the VDO Gas Control gauge works with the same principle. My Tito used to have one in all his rides before and he is able to get quite good FC as he can see which gear useage and pedal inputs gives optimal economy. This is were i first discovered that short shifting and lugging the engine (such as what taxi drivers do) is less efficient then driving steadily and shifting at the proper rpm range (gas flow is reduced as the car gets into its optimal power band).

Borrowed the photo from an online ad:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by torogi kid View Post
    ok ito a, how does this work?
    It's basically a vacuum gauge. The higher the manifold vacuum pressure, the better fuel economy you get. At zero pressure, it pretty much means your throttle is open 100% or near that.

The gauge works pretty much as a feedback system to the driver. It would tell the driver if what he is doing will give good or bad fuel mileage.

where will you install the gauge?
    The gauge can be installed anywhere on your dashboard, best in plain view. You will need to have a hose attached from the gauge to your car's intake manifold. You would need to find an unused vacuum "port" or use a T-fitting to splice into an existing vacuum line.

will it tell instantly that the driver has a heavy foot, or after a period of time?
    The gauge will immediately tell the driver if what he is doing will result in good or bad fuel mileage.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    naturally, it would confirm the #1 fuel economy tip ... a light foot on the pedal

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    naturally, it would confirm the #1 fuel economy tip ... a light foot on the pedal

True... but at least now you would be a visual aid to know how "light" is light enough.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    True... but at least now you would be a visual aid to know how "light" is light enough.
    True, and from my experience using the car with the VDO gauge with m/t tranny (back then it was a Space Wagon m/t and Corolla AE92 m/t), its not just about a light foot but it shows you what gear to keep it in, as we tend to try to upshift at the earliest time possible if we're on eco mode, and when is the best time to shift in various road and load conditions.

GH, you planning to install one in your ride? I actually wanted to buy that VDO gauge up for sale before.
    Last edited by vinj; November 9th, 2010 at 08:56 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    GH, you planning to install one in your ride? I actually wanted to buy that VDO gauge up for sale before.
    I already have a vacuum gauge installed in my corolla. I had it since the end of my acetone tests and before I had my Auto-LPG kit installed. So its been many years na.

I just started this thread just to "spread the knowledge".

9. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    wala po bang vid or instructions with pics kung paano iinstall? it would help the beginners for sure.. like me..

mas magbebenifit ata dito ung mga MT users.. us AT users unless modern AT/CVT na, di ata magiging accurate ang results

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
DIY: Fuel Economy Gauge for your car (to lower your car's fuel consumption)