13 10.32%
  • Uni Oil

9 7.14%
  • Others

4 3.17%
Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I am using Petron unleaded. I have been a Shell user for so many years but I had a problem with my Shell Citibank card which I cancelled. I now have a Petron BPI card so I had to make the switch.

I don't understand why Petron has 2 types of unleaded? I think it is 91 and 93 Octane. I chose the 93 octane because I think the unleaded of Shell is 93 octane? Does higher Octane mean better fuel?

My FC has improved recently. It was steady at 9.7 km/l for the past few months then recently went up to 9.8 km/l then yesterday it was 9.9 km/l! I am not sure if it has to do with Petron's fuel. I have the same driving condition and destination (no traffic and office only).

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    In a nutshell, the octane rating pertains to the fuel's resistance to burn under pressure. Ideally, the fuel mixture should only burn when the sparkplugs fire during the piston's power stoke. During the compression stroke of the pistons, the air-fuel mixture inside the the cylinder are compressed. When enough pressure builds up, it can cause the fuel mixture to combust prematurely. When that happens, this can be heard/felt as a ping or a knock. Simply put, it's bad for the engine and bad for fuel economy.

You should follow the fuel octane recommendations stated by your car manufacturer (usually written on the manual or by the fuel door). Don't use octane levels lower than what the manufacturer recommends. Using higher octane is fine but may be unnecessary.

FWIW, I use Petron Blaze.... just for the heck of it.
    Last edited by oj88; June 27th, 2014 at 01:53 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    bakit nakalimit lang sa big 3? sa car ko gamit ko TOTAL Protec

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    FWIW, I use Petron Blaze.... just for the heck of it.
    Blaze is the most expensive, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Manilablock View Post
    There's no Total near where I work or live. But my friend says Total is good nga.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Cath, your improvement from 9.7 to 9.9 km/L could very well be just because of slightly altered driving conditions. That's only a 2% improvement which isn't really indicative of anything.

Also, octane rating isn't a very good metric of your fuel's performance for your car. As long as the fuel you use meets the minimum, it should be okay.

More than the octane rating, the additives used are also different between the different fuel grades. Higher-end fuel has more detergent additives that cleans up deposits which could make your engine run better.

Of course, this is all theoretical. The claims of fuel manufacturers are true in a laboratory setting, but how it plays out in the real world with a lot of variables is a different story. I'm not saying they don't work, but I believe that customers should try it out first if they really observe a noticeable difference attributable directly to the fuel used.

You might want to note that only Petron and Shell have local refineries. This is important for me because it ensures that the fuel sold by these companies are consistent.

As for other brands, they import from different sources abroad. I'm pretty sure the bigger brands (Seaoil, Unioil, Total, Caltex) probably have some quality control measures in place, but since they get from different sources, I can't help but wonder if all batches of Unioil fuel are Euro IV, or perhaps they have some batches that aren't compliant since they had to get from a different supplier that time.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    EDIT: Oops, unleaded pala yung nasa title. Hehe.

I use VPN+ when I fill up in an area where the price gap is small (in Kalayaan/Fairview the gap is less than 50 cents). But in other places where the gap is over 1 peso, I use FuelSave.
    Last edited by jut703; June 27th, 2014 at 02:25 PM.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Manilablock View Post
    the best ang Total lakas ng hatak pinakawalang kwenta ang Shell (para sa akin) hirap na hirap ang makina.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Syuryuken View Post
    the best ang Total lakas ng hatak pinakawalang kwenta ang Shell (para sa akin) hirap na hirap ang makina.
    funny but yan din observation ko sa Shell
    former Petron XCS user now Caltex Gold na ako

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for me personally. i've tried the following variants.

Petron Unleaded 91 Octane
    Petron XCS
    Chevron Silver
    Chevron Gold
    Total Unleaded 91 Octane
    Total Protec 95 Octane
    Shell Unleaded 91 Octane
    Shell 95 Octane (pula)

Best fuel consumption : Total Protec 95 Octane
    Best acceleration: Shell 95 Octane
    Worst Consumption : Petron XCS
    Worst Idling and Acceleration : Chevron Silver and Chevron Gold

So I am now sticking with Shell 95 Octane (Pula).

Depende kasi yan sa feel mo, and quality ng fuel based sa gasoline station na pinakarga mo.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Im using Unioil for the cars now, gas and diesel. So far so good naman.

Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast
BEST Unleaded Fuel: Shell, Petron or Caltex